mcarterbrown.com  

Old 11-26-2007, 08:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
Post Whore

Ti Rammer in Etek?

Hey all,

I recently purchased an Etek from Warped Sportz. As part of the package they included a Ti Rammer. The fella's from Eclipse say don't use one but there are lots of folks that have used them on all types of ego's for years. Since the Warped kit comes with a lower pressure valve spring, there is no need to increase the force at which the rammer strikes the valve stem. Since the Ti rammer is about half the weight of the stock one the kick is reduced but I can't see any downside to the Ti Rammer with the lower pressure spring.

Can anyone help that has used one give me an idea of the downsides or dangers to the marker when using these?

Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Mr. Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Outbreak

Having owned and shot numerous Ego's including the SL-66 I have now, I wouldn't recommend a TI rammer. A few of my teammates tried the titanium rams when they were introduced and ended up with mushroomed ram heads and a few broken valve stems. Bolt pins also had a tendency to pop up in the middle of a game while using the rams (bad tolerances?), leaving players wondering why their gun is cycling but no balls are coming out of the barrel.

IMO, the risks far outweigh the reward. There's a reason Jack Wood and the rest of the Eclipse crew frown upon TI rams.

One upgrade I CAN recommend for the Etek or Ego series with good results are the Bump Paintball LPR/HPR pistons. They really improve the consistency of the stock regs.

BTW- I absolutely love the BM 06 you sold me...can't keep it down.

Last edited by Outbreak; 11-26-2007 at 09:35 PM.
Outbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 10:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

Thanks for the reply. Do you recall if they replaced the valve springs with the rammer or just had to ram the valve harder due to less mass in the rammer? I understand that some Ti rammers are just that, a rammer that uses the stock valve spring, and it is up to the player to set the marker up to open the valve properly. Since a Ti rammer is so much lighter, without proper springing I could see the mushrooming rammers and broken valve stems occuring. But with the Function kit, you are instructed to leave all the settings stock which leads me to believe the Ti ram is hitting the valve the same as the SS ram but with less tension on the valve spring that the lighter rammer has to overcome....

I don't know. I guess as long as it can't ruin the body or another big ticket part I'll try it out and see what happens. It's easy enough to throw the stock rammer back in and valve stems aren't stupid expensive to replace so maybe I'll give it a whirl. Or maybe I'll just sell it and wait for the Zick kit......Decisions, decisions

Glad you like the BM....It does rock, doesn't it?

Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Mr. Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 12:32 AM   #4 (permalink)

i got one in my sl66, it doesnt really do much, maybe a little less kick.

I have noticed that I can't get the gun to chrono over 280fps, i think that it might be due to the lowered force of the lighter ram.

Last edited by abunkerer; 12-09-2007 at 02:53 AM.
abunkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 11:31 AM   #5 (permalink)

the one thing you can always look to from Eclipse is the improvements they have no problem making year after year

inspite of any cost or any reflection to their reputation for the previous product now being obsolete or "not as good", they will still improve

Examples:
- players began modifying Ego star frames to fit Etek's... result: Eclipse now makes an Etek "star frame" with all the trigger frame options ofthe Ego 8

- players complained about "kick" on their Ego's... result: Eclipse developes & makes the Zick kit (& soon for Etek's too)

- players complained that they liked the micro-switch or the optical switch better... result: Eclipse now offers both in all their current markers & are currently the only ones who do this (also in the new star frame for the Etek)

- players wanted a better "rail" system for their on/off... result: the new "t" slot system that minimizes "slide off" during super man dives

If you look at every improvement that Eclipse has made to their markers over the years, it has been 100% driven by the players, not just their idea of "oooh, I know what would be cool..."

all this being said, If they did not develope a Ti rammer, there is probably a good reason for it. Especially since they are not shy about spending the big bucks on research & developement to see what the players are demanding & what works

-chris
chrisshanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 05:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

Because on the low FPS issues I was having, I went back to the stock rammer and spring and now all is right with the ego once again....now to sell this overpriced piece of poo "upgrade" on ebay
abunkerer is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Eclipse