mcarterbrown.com  

First Strike Everything first strike related

Old 01-30-2013, 01:32 AM   #21 (permalink)

Dude, I'll take a free barrel for a DYE DAM. I don't promise to do any testing on it but if I notice a difference I would be happy to let UV or bryce and cocker borrow it after LL6.... If thats cool and they want to But yeah, if it's free its for me. :P

Last edited by voad; 01-30-2013 at 01:40 AM.
voad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:55 AM   #22 (permalink)
MCB Member

I'll do you almost that good Voad, I'll hone the barrel of your DAM at LL6. It only takes about 5 minutes....
As for letting people borrow it after that, we'll see how generous you are after you shoot it.

Rob

agentSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:05 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentSmith View Post
I'll do you almost that good Voad, I'll hone the barrel of your DAM at LL6. It only takes about 5 minutes....
As for letting people borrow it after that, we'll see how generous you are after you shoot it.

Rob
I will be sure to track you down then, thanks a lot man.
voad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:23 AM   #24 (permalink)
Brass Monkey Customs

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Quote:
...SNIP...
EDIT: Ty, check out the thread I found my old flex hone

Rob
A long and interesting read. Seems to fly in the face of my "wisdom". I can accept the idea of reducing surface irregularities in order to make the marker more accurate.

How about a little test? (I know, you aren't interested in trying to convince the unconvinced, but I want to see the difference )

I will make up a pair of 10" unported brass Autococker barrels. May I send you one to be honed and use it for comparison to the unhoned barrel?

I will mark the barrels permanently as to which is which.

If anyone would like to borrow the pair, I would be willing to loan them out, with the following rules:

- The barrels are my property and on loan, so please treat them gently.
- I will pay for the shipping to you. You pay the return shipping.
- If they are lost or damaged, please inform me immediately.

Ty

Brass Monkey Customs

Brass Freak compatible and Equation inserts in .665, .670, .675, .678, .680 and .685

Current Freak compatible inserts in stock:
.665 = 0, .670 = 16, .675 = 3, .678 = 4, .680 = 4, .682 = 4, .685 = 11

Still selling brass tubing, with .678 barrel stock now available!

My feedback: MCB - eBay - AO
tymcneer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:59 AM   #25 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

Quote:
Ah I understand now, we must establish the conditions under which my bluff is called so that I don't later complain my magic 'is SO magic'...

It's like we're communicating from different worlds. ...
It seems internet isn't serving either of us very well in this case. I was getting the impression that you were being condescending to myself with comments like:

Quote:
...Well, all I can tell you is that I shot someone in front of 70 witnesses at 500', december 29th, by firing A SINGLE regular paintball at 270fps or I would be more impressed...

...As a fellow paintball player and MCBer I felt a call to help you hit more people since you seemed interested...

...To put it simply, I can shoot at people from farther away than you can and hit them better as well...
While giving a snapshot/resume of your experience and offering a service that you assert I would find to be invaluable.

With all that being said, I never meant to offend but rather illustrate how important good testing is to myself. If I can find a way to test it, I would like to move forward. My own limitation being no indoor fields within four hours so, I will have to work with others to make this happen, if I can.

Just to be clear- I personally could care less if someone found some miracle that made regular paintballs perform even 10-20% better in regards to range and accuracy. I don't shoot regular paintballs anymore and I haven't in a couple years so, this is purely academic for me, and only likely to benefit others in the paintball community by providing data from which they can form their own conclusions about.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.

Last edited by uv_halo; 01-30-2013 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Cut down the original quote for readability.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:17 AM   #26 (permalink)
Post Whore

That's a fair point I think. Since this is primarily about first strikes being as how it's in the first strike thread. It may be beneficial if we keep our fingers focus there. I'm not saying that first strikes couldn't benefit for smiths hone themselves. They may well could. I think if bryce's theory proves true that an over bored smooth bore one barrel that's slightly shorter than 14" say somewhere between 10 and 12 is optimum. Than I would venture a guess that using a finer hone on that smooth barrel could only help. If I miss quoted you at all Bryce I apologize. But than on the other hand if we're to find that pre spinning the fsr with a rifled barrel does work and is beneficial than a finer hone probably won't help much
Keebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:50 PM   #27 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymcneer View Post
A long and interesting read. Seems to fly in the face of my "wisdom". I can accept the idea of reducing surface irregularities in order to make the marker more accurate.

How about a little test? (I know, you aren't interested in trying to convince the unconvinced, but I want to see the difference )

I will make up a pair of 10" unported brass Autococker barrels. May I send you one to be honed and use it for comparison to the unhoned barrel?

I will mark the barrels permanently as to which is which.

If anyone would like to borrow the pair, I would be willing to loan them out, with the following rules:

- The barrels are my property and on loan, so please treat them gently.
- I will pay for the shipping to you. You pay the return shipping.
- If they are lost or damaged, please inform me immediately.

Ty
You've earned my respect through the years with your helpful posts, I would be happy to comply or if you prefer I could simply mail you my flexhone.
It's used but has some life left, I ordered a new one when this thread reminded me of it, the used one would be a gift. The only weird tip is no solvents! Don't wash a hone in a parts washer or anything. PM me your address if you're in.

Quote:
I'm not saying that first strikes couldn't benefit for smiths hone themselves.
I am saying that they do benefit, though I hadn't gotten that far... I am no longer saying why I think they do.

I've been shooting first strikes for the last 2 years since I converted my TPXs to shoot them. I use them extensively in outlaw play, though they are not allowed at my home field, Hell Survivors.
Ty will have the hone with my compliments, I'm sure someone will get around to shooting a first strike through something.
I suspect that when they do, I'll hear back about it.

UV_Halo,
I was being increasingly puzzled and frustrated as well as condescending when I said those things, you are correct.
My first post, good ole #12, politely explained with no condescension the change I made to the barrel, the effects of the change and my hypotheses as to why these effects occured.
I also stated that I was offering you a barrel to check out that cockerpunk and BryceLarson had refused to investigate.

The response I received was an anecdote about you and Mike from TechPB and reassurance of how accurate your predictions were, along with a mention that you'd bring it up with cockerpunk and Bryce larson.

Everything after that was a red haze.

It's like the old joke
"What do you call a scientist who resists a free chance to examine data that might be new in one of his areas of interest?"

The punchline is that there's no punchline and no old joke. Real scientists, even amateur scientists, don't act like that.

If some longtime MCB member, with a crackpot theory, wanted to mail me a free paintball barrel, I'd tell him to go to town. I'd have PMed my addy or at least broken the secret of what threads are on my gun by now. I'd test it or if I didn't have the facilities, I'd have someone else do so. At the very least I'd play a game or 2 with it and give my gut reaction...
Your confidence that this is purely academic for you because you shoot first strikes to the point that you could care less, I find fascinating.
Since you can't have any idea whether that is true or not until someone in the world besides me shoots them through such a barrel...
Ah well.

Rob

Old 01-31-2013, 01:46 PM   #28 (permalink)
MCB Member

Upon further reflection and with the aid of hindsight I realize I do indeed owe you an apology UV Halo.

It should have been apparent to me from your defensive reaction about the accuracy of your calculations. I have a hard time with details sometimes.

I told you good work and complimented you on the math because IT IS CORRECT.

When I said I would improve your ability from 'fairly',
I was not suggesting changing your EQUATIONS to be more accurate to the paintgun.
I was suggesting changing your PAINTGUN to be more accurate to the equations.

That is all.
Just a trick that makes a paintgun more consistent.
How much it helps is moot, it helps enough to be worth the trouble to me. Helps enough that I bothered you about it. In the days when paintguns had fixed barrels flexhones were common, any airsmith who worked in the sheridan/splatmaster/nelspot era will tell you that flexhones help.

As to my theories about why it helps, anyone is welcome to ignore them.

I apologize for both not being clear myself and for not getting where you were coming from.

Rob

Old 02-02-2013, 08:25 PM   #29 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

No harm done Rob, I'm just glad we can move on in the conversation

I tried my best to be diplomatic and if anyone feel's I fell short, I apologize!
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:02 PM   #30 (permalink)
MCB Member

That's the price we pay for caring I guess! I see people gearing crazy every time I play and never say a word. Noone would post as you did, just to help other players that didn't care, that made me care about helping. We're definitely on the same page.

I mailed that hone out to Ty last Friday, we should be hearing from him soon!

Rob

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » First Strike