mcarterbrown.com  

First Strike Everything first strike related

Old 05-30-2013, 12:13 PM   #111 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
The Carmatech/Hammerhead 20" does use a fin. Carmatech ships it with a .688 fin. I bought one from them before they stopped shipping them.
I stand corrected.

I wonder why? What's you're opinion of the barrel/fin combo? On my FN303 (need to post a thread about it), I use a re-threaded Bang Stixx and it performs great without a sizer.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:49 PM   #112 (permalink)

I did a lot of testing (inside and out) of 14" Hammerhead and the 20" Carmatech/Hammerhead. The longer barrel is fine but the shorter Hammerhead held a significantly tighter group using the SR1.

Because the size differences with the first strike rounds are so varied, I do use both the .686 & .688 fins. The vast majority go through the .686 very nicely and that is the fin that I normally use. Occasionally, once I have accumulated enough if them I will change to the bigger rounds and the .688 fin. I have not had good accuracy results when pushing the bigger rounds through the smaller fin. Also, I do see slightly better groups pushing the smaller rounds through the smaller .686 fin. Feeding each round individually into the breach is definitely slower but it gives me immediate feedback on how paint size and breach size work together, or don't.
Trinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:00 PM   #113 (permalink)

I have to wonder if you'd notice a difference going fin-less. Neither the LAPCO or, the Hammerhead barrel had no fins, and the rounds were 100% un-sorted, straight out of the box.
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:21 PM   #114 (permalink)
DSA
One in the Pipe!

Send a message via Skype™ to DSA

I find the news of the Carmatech 20 using fins very disappointing. I was hoping it didn't use the fin, but I guess it's a good idea for HH to incorporate their products. I wish the HZh guys would have worked with CCM. Maybe we can show those guys the SR-1 in person at DDay and garner some interest.

My Feedback Redux Knowledge Base My Email Line SI Knowledge Base
Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to shoot nothing.
DSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:36 PM   #115 (permalink)
MCB Member

Wait the 20 hh uses fins?
Can you post a picture please
What is the length before rifling is started from bolt/ball rest/firing?
Old 05-31-2013, 08:47 AM   #116 (permalink)
MCB Member

I don't understand the idea of sizer backs on rifled barrels. It's totally antithetical to the idea of a rifled barrel interacting with your round. You want the whole rifled section to be in contact with the round - not just the first 1.5".

I get the sizer idea on a pump gun - but other than that I feel it's a poor design.
brycelarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:57 PM   #117 (permalink)

I agree. You did sizer (/short control bore) testing didn't you? If so, how did it influence consistency when compared to single bore (non-underbore)?
Old 05-31-2013, 03:00 PM   #118 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
I had to google that word "antithetical"

I have no choice but to stop doing it now. lol

Being a drop-out has it's disadvantages.
“Do not yearn too much for a sword made by a famous smith. This is because even if you give a good man a sword worth ten thousand coppers, he will not be able to beat a hundred men each holding a spear worth a hundred coppers.” - Asakura Takakage Toshikage, 1462-1482

Ecc. 9-10
Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with your might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, where you go.

DOOR GUNNER handgun mounts for gunsafes.

http://www.machineshopdpm.com/
CCMachinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:31 PM   #119 (permalink)
Sorry, that's classified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCMachinist View Post
I had to google that word "antithetical"

I have no choice but to stop doing it now. lol

Being a drop-out has it's disadvantages.
Well for smooth bore applications the inserts you've made I believe are fine some will still use them for standard paint. And hey, it's fun.

Many seem to be leaning towards the rifling as the advantageous option for the first strike round and its proving itself so. I still want one but maybe I'm holding out. I still want to see what the saint was cooking up.

For sale!--->Polished clear and pink Luxe 2.0, TiPX (to be posted...), Works project (to be posted...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by matteekay View Post
Shoulda Gone to Bacci.™
Donut SD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:03 PM   #120 (permalink)

Slightly OT but does anyone know if anyone offers custom rifling on MCB? I d love to get a SS Freak insert rifled...
wingbatwu is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » First Strike