mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   First Strike (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/first-strike/)
-   -   Punkworks Rifled and Smoothbore Barrel Testing (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/first-strike/228844-punkworks-rifled-smoothbore-barrel-testing.html)

uv_halo 03-14-2013 11:29 PM

Punkworks Rifled and Smoothbore Barrel Testing

Punkworks has conducted a 75ft indoor accuracy test using the following barrels on a T9.1:
  • Stock 9"
  • 9" LAPCO .690 Smoothbore
  • 9" LAPCO/Tiberius .683 Rifled
  • 16" LAPCO .690 Smoothbore
  • 16" LAPCO/Tiberius .683 Rifled
  • 14" Hammerhead .688 Rifled
The Hammerhead and the 16" LAPCO/Tiberius are effectively tied for first place with the edge given to Hammerhead due to their barrel being more efficient.

Check out the thread for more info.

Note, I think they're having a bit of problem embedding videos. I think this is the one they tried to link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzWtS0YgGV8

Panda 03-15-2013 12:36 AM

The Hammerhead and the 16" LAPCO/Tiberius are effectively tied for first place with the edge given to Hammerhead due to their barrel being more efficient.

The Hammerhead was aprox. 100 fps more efficient that the 16" lapco. At least I believe that's what Bryce said. If so, It seems like the hammer head is the obvious choice.

jc_10 03-15-2013 12:48 AM

I'm glad there was no sound.

brycelarson 03-15-2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panda (Post 2654916)

The Hammerhead was aprox. 100 fps more efficient that the 16" lapco. At least I believe that's what Bryce said. If so, It seems like the hammer head is the obvious choice.

correct. It was also significantly quieter. I think that's mostly due to how much I had to turn up the gun for the Lapco - but it's significant.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jc_10 (Post 2654920)
I'm glad there was no sound.

:) don't like our voices?

We noticed in earlier accuracy tests that the first strikes were more more accurate at longer ranges. At close range they weren't that much better than paint. It appears that pre-spinning them gets you a ton of close range accuracy - which will help at long range as well.

shibyman 03-15-2013 12:39 PM

Bryce- I'm going to be getting a target made soon for some accuracy testing and wanted to know what size target you use that has the grid on it. Looking for height/width and the dimensions of the squares on the grid. I'm hoping that by using the same type I can pass on results to you that could more easily mesh with how you come up with the vector and such if you wanted them. I'll primarily be using it to test my friends SAR12 with first strikes.

brycelarson 03-15-2013 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shibyman (Post 2655265)
Bryce- I'm going to be getting a target made soon for some accuracy testing and wanted to know what size target you use that has the grid on it. Looking for height/width and the dimensions of the squares on the grid. I'm hoping that by using the same type I can pass on results to you that could more easily mesh with how you come up with the vector and such if you wanted them. I'll primarily be using it to test my friends SAR12 with first strikes.

We like a 4'x4' target. It's still pretty easy to transport - but it's big enough that we can do standard paint at 100' without too many misses and really good paint at 150'.

Grid size doesn't matter - as long as you can read it and record the right impact locations. We found that a black background made it easier to spot hits - especially when we're doing it like this - recording impact on video instead of in person.

Crimson Death 03-15-2013 01:57 PM

Cool!

I can't wait to see what $aint's 21 inch endgame barrel does.

Keebler 03-15-2013 02:00 PM

Outstanding

Keebler 03-15-2013 02:17 PM

Why not test the 684 hh?

uv_halo 03-15-2013 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keebler (Post 2655343)
Why not test the 684 hh?

A few reasons:
  • I believe that the .688 is the same rifling pattern used in the Carmatech SAR 12
  • The one barrel they make in .684 is for small bore regular paint (according to Hammerhead).
  • The Bore itself of the .684 isn't that much different than the Tiberius .683 (they use similar rifling styles) so, there shouldn't be a significant difference in performance.
  • The .684 relies upon the use of a "Shark Fin" Thread Adapter / Breach Adapter which may intrduce new variables when comparing to other, 1-pc barrels.
  • and Finally...they don't make a .684 for the Tiberius (the test gun).