mcarterbrown.com  

First Strike Everything first strike related

Old 03-21-2013, 02:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Known Measurement Resource for Mil Dot scopes

For anyone already using a mil dot scope or wants to. I plan to start using one soon and anyone that is already using a mil dot for ranging targets knows how important it is to have known measurements of items you will see on the field. This could end up have two sections, one for typical paintball items(Mask, hopper, gun, tank) and one for permanent items at various paintball fields (bunker dimensions, boards, walls, windows etc.)

Please try to follow this guide for posting measurements for items:

1. Identify the object by brand/model/style
2. Give Height/Width/Length in inches or if not in inches just identify unit of measurement

Guide for field specific items/objects:

1. Identify field location by name/address
2. Identify specific item/object with as accurate description as possible, for example: at Sniperzden the base called "darkwood" loggs used in fort measure 7 inches in height or east facing window/gun port measures 20 inches in height, 12 inches accross (these are not correct #'s just examples, i have not measured the loggs...yet)
3. Include a picture if you want to to help identify the object.
*** Stick to simple things that tend to repeat and have the same mearurements. If a base/fort has 5 windows of all differnt sizes it could be confusing as to which window is being used. If a field uses a lot of those large plastic pipes that could be helpful accross the entire field.

If you are curious as to what mil dots are on a scope or how to use them there are lots of resources on the net, just put mil dot into google or join the military and try out for sniper/marksman school. I recommend google unless you have very good reasons for doing the later.

If you have questions/concerns feel free to post up or PM me. If we get enough data together I can compile it into an excell file so people can make their own quick reference guides for use in the field.

Last edited by shibyman; 03-21-2013 at 04:57 PM.
shibyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

First up:

1. Dye Rotor w/out extension
2. Dimensions as advertised by Dye: Height 4.25 in x Width 4.25 in x Length 8.5 in
Old 03-21-2013, 03:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

8541 Tactical - Mildot Range Estimation i did read this and now my head hurts!
Cheeserocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
I used a mask and mil dot measurment system.Mask are generally the same size it will get you close.
casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeserocket View Post
8541 Tactical - Mildot Range Estimation i did read this and now my head hurts!
It's not too bad and some you tube videos do a decent job of teaching it. The math is a little difficult to understand at first if math isnt your strong point but you dont need to know much of it to use the formulas. Once you get the known measurements togther all you need to do is know how to read the mils on the reticle and do the math at home and fill in a simple chart with all the mil readings to yards. It's like anything the more you practice it the easier it gets.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
I used a mask and mil dot measurment system.Mask are generally the same size it will get you close.
I'll be using the mask measurements too. I'll post up my JT mask dimensions tonight when I get home and will try to measure up some others this weekend to see if there is much of a difference and if there is a difference how much it will impact getting accurate measurements.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
DSA
One in the Pipe!

Send a message via Skype™ to DSA

Ok really? I can see myself walking around measuring my opponents in the staging area, flipping through my note on the field and just when I'm ready to pull the trigger the f'er moves....

Meh it's just paintball, but it is a fun conversation too.

My Feedback Redux Knowledge Base My Email Line SI Knowledge Base
Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to shoot nothing.
DSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

DSA- yeah its a little overboard for most games but for those that want to get a slight edge it can be of some use to take out the guys that think they are out of range and just standing there. It would be funny to walk over to the opposing team and measure their height, LOL...They would be like, "What are doin bro?"..."ah..nothing just making sure the teams are evenly matched".

I'll probably end up with a list of dim's for a few popular mask styles and hopper styles and a chart for each field location I typically play at.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

Its not as overboard as paying 100 dollars for a laser range finder. And if your good at it its faster too. I have all my stuff written out on cards based on 3x magnification and a 9 inch target(avg height of a mask) its not a difficult formula.
Aka "wagz" on the field
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Keebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Keeblers got it ! I use the same thing . Pace off or laz distances note
The # of mildots in reguards to the mask and you got it. Write it down tape it to your gun!
casper is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » First Strike