mcarterbrown.com  

First Strike Everything first strike related

Old 06-23-2013, 09:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Am I doing something wrong? Issues adjusting to FSRs in an MR-5

I just had a pretty good day playing paintball, especially after I switched back from a MR-5 running FSRs in the magazine and PBs in a stick feed to a pro-carb with a LAPCO .687 barrel and the same stick feed.

The low point was when I'd spent a fair amount of effort maneuvering behind some guy in the woods, then wound up breaking an entire magazine of FSRs in the breech.

Even before that, I had not been particularly impressed with the FSRs performance in the MR-5.

Am I missing something? Are there bad habits I might be carrying over from the pro-carb? Does the FSR really require only playing the long game, and consequently fields where a long game is possible?

Finally, what was up with the breach chewing up an entire mag of FSRs? I've heard tell of feed issues with Hammer 7's. Is there a workaround?
chandlercv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Doughnut Eater

? Huh?

I think the problem is something about the little nib or whatever on the front of the FS round getting stuck on the breach or barrel and then causing it to feed sideways. I don't know for sure though. Imartin might know.
I would be interested to see what happens with this thread too.
smiffington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Stock MR5 FS performance is dismal. I have 5 markers that shoot FS rounds and the MR5 is about the worst. When it shoots, which for mine IS most of the time, the accuracy is non-existent. I have a reddot on it and I can't reliably hit things with it outside of normal paintball range, and even then it's a crap shoot. Once LAPCO comes out with their MR5 barrel it SHOULD, hopefully, improve the accuracy and reduce some of your chopping issues, assuming they are not stemming from the magazine it's self.

I changed to a lower spring, added a palmer reg to mine, and have it operating at 800 psi, but it's still crazy loud and kicks around. I imagine it will be much more enjoyable when the aftermarket barrels/breaches comes out. Maybe, maybe even an aftermarket bolt, though I doubt it.

Just my two cents. Sorry about your chops. Could be the mags. I'd start there. See if they feed properly.
scottallen1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to BigOldSkool

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
YEah mine blended first strike then got relegated to the wall as "out of service"

Not worth the time to get working correctly I will simply stick to my SR1

RIP - Ed "BigDaddy" Roth and "Indian" Larry
Wild Geese - Coney Isand White Fish - ECA
BOS's Feedback!
What Serial Number Is Your Cocker? WTB
ECAP - "Making players dreams other players nightmares"
COUSINS PAINTBALL
BigOldSkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Location: looking through the knotholes in granny's wooden leg

Must be operator error.

hey Charles.
the mods here suck...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaD View Post
Asking for brass on MCB is like going to the grocery and saying "Looking for food, you guys have any"?
My Feedback

Stuff I want or need evenually

want to buy red pump handle

Nelson, Tippmann, Dye, Angle, Spyder stuff
snaparen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:20 AM   #6 (permalink)

Hey, Reed! Want to buy an MR-5 cheap? It's the gun that finally learned me my lesson - I'm just not going to find anything I like shooting more than my pro-carb.

I sort of feel like at the end of "When Harry Met Sally", now, actually.

I'm not going to pose with it like that one guy I've seen on here, though.
chandlercv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
Doughnut Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandlercv View Post
Hey, Reed! Want to buy an MR-5 cheap? It's the gun that finally learned me my lesson - I'm just not going to find anything I like shooting more than my pro-carb.
My attention has been acquired. PM me if you actually do want to sell the MR5. I don't think that I am Reed though
smiffington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiffington View Post
My attention has been acquired. PM me if you actually do want to sell the MR5. I don't think that I am Reed though
I AM SPARTICU... I mean REED

"The world is like a ride at an amusement park. And when you choose to go on it, you think it's real because that's how powerful our minds are. And the ride goes up and down and round and round. It has thrills and chills and it's very brightly colored and it's very loud and it's fun, for a while. Some people have been on the ride for a long time, and they begin to question: Is this real, or is this just a ride? And other people have remembered, and they come back to us, they say, "Hey, don't worry, don't be afraid ever, because this is just a ride." And we ... kill those people." - William Melvin Hicks

newfangled feedback transporter link

Swoop body b2k4 Bushmaster for sale
Kmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandlercv View Post
I just had a pretty good day playing paintball, especially after I switched back from a MR-5 running FSRs in the magazine and PBs in a stick feed to a pro-carb with a LAPCO .687 barrel and the same stick feed.

The low point was when I'd spent a fair amount of effort maneuvering behind some guy in the woods, then wound up breaking an entire magazine of FSRs in the breech.

Even before that, I had not been particularly impressed with the FSRs performance in the MR-5.

Am I missing something? Are there bad habits I might be carrying over from the pro-carb? Does the FSR really require only playing the long game, and consequently fields where a long game is possible?

Finally, what was up with the breach chewing up an entire mag of FSRs? I've heard tell of feed issues with Hammer 7's. Is there a workaround?
There are a couple of things to mention here.

First, do you have a secondary regulator (like a palmer's bottomline) between the tank and marker? I know the MR5 doesn't come with a regulator. Stacked tube blowbacks (like spyders) usually suffer from poor accuracy without heavy modification. I would say that they are a poor choice for a marker that you intend to shoot first strikes with.

Are you using HPA?

Groups with first strikes can really open up with inconsistent velocity. At $.40 each I wouldn't even shoot them on C02.

Yes first strikes require a bit of modification to your game. You should learn to engage from either at or just outside of normal paint range and I would recommend a sight (red dot, ghost ring or something like DYE's new sight) and definitely work on being both more mobile and taking shots you know you can make (like a whole torso exposed).

As far as first strikes breaking you should disassemble the marker and take a good look at the breach to ensure there aren't any edges for the paintballs to get cut on. There may even be instructions with the marker that state what you need to do to shoot first strikes i.e. you may have to modify it by removing one of the detents, etc.
Rover Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:59 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOldSkool View Post
YEah mine blended first strike then got relegated to the wall as "out of service"
Is this the usual experience?
If so, that's terribly disappointing.
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » First Strike