mcarterbrown.com  

Fitness Health and Fitness Forums

Old 05-03-2011, 11:07 PM   #31 (permalink)

Fan of EMR
For some of us, weight means very little to our fitness level. I need a measuring tape more than a scale. I'm 5'11" and started at 210# before I got some knee surgery a month ago. Back up to 220#, but that is because I added 1.5" on arms while cutting 1' around waist.

BF% and inches are what matters for us men... and the latter maybe for the ladies too

Food wise, just shop around the outside of the supermarket. No need to ever enter the aisles. You'll hit the butcher, fish section, produce, bakery and dairy. Keep protein bars to a minimum. Protein shakes are really to stop your muscles from entering the catabolic state (i.e why you have fast acting whey after a working out and if you need it slow casein at night).

But fitness and nutrition are like politics; everyone has an opinion and you need to find what works for you...

Good luck brostein!
:SCP:
:Ebay:
golden220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 04:33 PM   #32 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

I will make the caution that most people trying to lose weight run incorrectly. Your strides should be striding over the pavement (as a paralel foot strike mostly around the middle of your foot). If you are pounding your heel into the pavement trying to over stretch each step you are not doing yourself favors. Running correctly is a very natural workout, your body is made to do it. Running incorrectly will cause you hell.
"Do not overcome by the evil, but overcome, in the good, the evil" - Romans 12:21 - Young's Literal Translation

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 04:38 PM   #33 (permalink)
Just for Shiggles

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
I will make the caution that most people trying to lose weight run incorrectly. Your strides should be striding over the pavement (as a paralel foot strike mostly around the middle of your foot). If you are pounding your heel into the pavement trying to over stretch each step you are not doing yourself favors. Running correctly is a very natural workout, your body is made to do it. Running incorrectly will cause you hell.
Lord that's the truth. Now that summer's here and I have less school to worry about, I'll be hitting the pavement a whole lot more. Running is one of the hardest things for me because of the lifestyle I've lived for the past few years. My knees and ankles are pretty weak after so long a sedentary lifestyle. One of the big changes I'm planning to implement in the next week or two (basically when I can afford it) is to get a new YMCA membership and start swimming regularly. It's low impact, but a great workout, and I feel pretty at home in the water anyway!
FEEDBACK
Steam & Origin: Redivulpis
Redivulpis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:56 PM   #34 (permalink)

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redivulpis View Post
Lord that's the truth. Now that summer's here and I have less school to worry about, I'll be hitting the pavement a whole lot more. Running is one of the hardest things for me because of the lifestyle I've lived for the past few years. My knees and ankles are pretty weak after so long a sedentary lifestyle. One of the big changes I'm planning to implement in the next week or two (basically when I can afford it) is to get a new YMCA membership and start swimming regularly. It's low impact, but a great workout, and I feel pretty at home in the water anyway!
Another thing you can look at if you have a heel-to-toe step (which for any military guys is something you develop) is minimalist running. Run barefoot or with something like Vibram Five Fingers forces you to use your toes and not slam your heel as much. I just got off a knee scope just over a month ago and the only way I can run is with out running shoes because it forces me to run without stomping.
:SCP:
:Ebay:
golden220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:51 PM   #35 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

You don't have to go to a full out minimilast shoe. I like them, but only towards the middle of running season after I have rebuilt muscle in my legs. What will help as much are shoes with low heel to toe drop - how much higher the heel is than the toe. Most shoes have a drop of 11-14 mm. Many shoes are available with either no drop or a 4MM drop. You can run in these in a very minimalist style without getting rid of any support or cushioning. Going to a minimalist shoe too early can cause people with pronations and other issues injury. Now, if you have some decent trails (not pavement) to run on you can go to a minimalist shoe much earlier. That being said, minimalist shoes might be just right for you. Its really a trial and error thing, and do not be afraid to say a certain shoe is not working and try something else.

Just for the record, that 7MM of drop difference can change a runner form a heel striker to a mid-foot striker just because of how the foot naturally hits.
"Do not overcome by the evil, but overcome, in the good, the evil" - Romans 12:21 - Young's Literal Translation

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed

Last edited by Lohman446; 05-11-2011 at 09:56 PM.
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:38 PM   #36 (permalink)
Doesn't care (/◕ヮ◕)/

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden220 View Post
Another thing you can look at if you have a heel-to-toe step (which for any military guys is something you develop) is minimalist running. Run barefoot or with something like Vibram Five Fingers forces you to use your toes and not slam your heel as much. I just got off a knee scope just over a month ago and the only way I can run is with out running shoes because it forces me to run without stomping.

I definately agree on that, i usually just run on a treadmil and i heel strike prety bad even with short strides, i get shin splints or whatever its called rather badly so i can only run mabey .25 to a half mile if im lucky before i have to walk a bit to relax some. The thing ive found is if i force myself to run more on my toes i can run longer before my shins start to hurt. Ive been using the vibram shoes in my paintball games for the past few months and decided to try them on the treadmil, it makes a huge difference, my shins dont hurt as bad anymore and i can run longer.

It seems to be a fad around here because of how they look, but i love them, i bought the trek sport ones and they hold up prety good on the paintball field, i like them much better than running cleats, i think i may try picking up a pair of the bakila ones for pavement running.

I don't always play pump, but when I do, I prefer a rotor.....stay agg my friends.
JLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 12:50 PM   #37 (permalink)
Just for Shiggles

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Thanks for the suggestions on footwear. I've got some Nike Reax that I usually use, but I may be in the market for something different soon. They keep the heel pretty high which I don't mind, but it seems like no matter how loose or tight I tie them, I get some bloodflow restriction in my toes after a while. That might be something more serious than too-tight-shoes though. I have definitely noticed greatly reduced fatigue when running on the balls of my feet, not to mention a better calf workout!

Sadly, this last month has been an effective loss. I have made roughly zero progress in the wake of serious financial issues, but I'm not daunted. I've started lifting a 15lb dumbbell I found in my closet (the mate of which is nowhere to be found), and this afternoon will be working on my bike, getting it road ready.

Here's to the start of a fresh month of healthier living, and less sitting on my *** watching Red Dwarf (finished the series yesterday)
FEEDBACK
Old 07-11-2011, 09:38 PM   #38 (permalink)
Just for Shiggles

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Well, nuts. I have gotten so busy with job transitions and all sorts of stuff I completely lost track of this thread!

I have made a little progress, but still not near what I would like. Fortunately, between my new job (a much better paying and more rewarding one) and the heat of the Oklahoma summer, I'm more and more determined to lose this extra luggage.

Next step: YMCA membership
FEEDBACK

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Fitness