mcarterbrown.com  

Fitness Health and Fitness Forums

Old 08-08-2013, 03:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

Fasting and Exercise- What's been on my mind

Background: I'm getting to the point to where I feel the need to change what I eat (admittedly, mostly junk food). I've never really had to worry about this for the vast majority of my life and even now, I wouldn't qualify as significantly overweight. I've just known that I'm 30lbs heavier than what I would consider my best weight (~150lbs). That being said, I know I should be at least a few pounds over so, I'll say my target is 160 (and I'm 5'9").

Then, I stumbled on a video series while I was being a lazy *** in a hotel room while on company travel: The Michael Mosley three part series in which he covers the latest (fall 2012) science on fasting, exercise and, the digestive track. I didn't learn much to apply in the digestive track episode so, I won't mention any more of it. The other two videos were very interesting.

Here's a link to the fasting episode: Eat, Fast, and Live Longer.
The big take-aways for me in this video were:
- The majority of us are consuming far too many calories and protein
- Fasting to 600 calories (500 for women) for two non-consectutive days out of a week will trigger our biochemistries to reduce our weight, reduce our blood glucose and Insuline Growth Factor -1 (IGF-1) levels among other benefits.

This diet has been the subject of a several news articles or specials. Here's transcripts for a couple I heard on NPR:
March 2013 - Dr. Michael Mosley: "The Fast Diet"
Two-Day Diets: How Mini Fasts Can Help Maximize Weight Loss
Here's a link to the exercise episode: The Truth About Exercise.
What I got out of this video:
- Three 20second sets of high intensity effort (i.e. all-out cycling on an exercise bike), three times a week (for a total of three minutes/week), will significantly reduce your glucose, IGF-1 and lipid levels even on your non-exercise days.
- This same exercise will improve your aerobic fitness, if you've got the right genes.
- Scientists have recently identified a gene that is a reliable predictor of your ability to respond to aerobic training.
Currently, I'm just starting the 5-2 diet. I aim to start the exercise soon. I'll update this thread as things move along. Today, I'm on my second day of fasting. The first day was a little strange and I might not've reached my goal (i.e. 700 instead of 600) but, I forgive myself as it was a decision I made that morning. Today, I've made it past breakfast and lunch and, I'm doing alright and on target.

I'll measure my weight tonight and edit it here. EDIT: 183lbs. I also plan on getting the genetic test (i'll post up a link later).

Finally, if these topic areas catch your interest, I recommend downloading a copy of the videos as I suspect they won't be up long and they have a lot of detail (BBC had no intention of offering these videos after they allowed NPR to run them). Also, here's a link to an April article on sciencedaily.com on intermittent fasting.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.

Last edited by uv_halo; 08-09-2013 at 10:16 AM.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

So, it's been almost two months, and I'm now weighing in at 175lbs (8lbs lighter)

I've not started working out yet, just fasting like so:

From Sunday 9pm, til Tuesday 9am, I restrict myself to 600 calories or less.

I repeat this process Wednesday night to Friday morning. Overall, I've found this to be surprisingly easy. I rarely get to be 'stomach growling', or suffer any other effects. I've also have lost interest in eating as much as I used to on my non-fasting days

Mind you- I've not changed my crappy eating ways whatsoever, aside from the fasting.

More to come.
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Semper Fi

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
why dont you just stop eating junk food?

fad diets are fad diets.

ANGELS FOR LIFE!!!
gainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

The problem isn't just junk food for me. I (and most other folks) eat way too many calories, period.

I personally, wouldn't call it a 'fad diet' for two reasons.

1. Science has at the biochemistry level, identified the mechanisms that allow this technique to work. Review any of the referenced materials for more info while keeping in mind, none of that material is being produced or provided by a 'for-profit' with an agenda.

2. This is easy.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

If you only eat 600cals a day, your going to loose weight regardless of fasting.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

Its not cals that hurt you, you burn then pretty easy.. what usually makes you fat are the carbs and sugar if you are not active enough they will be stored and then turn in to fat.
chi town saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi town saint View Post
Its not cals that hurt you, you burn then pretty easy.. what usually makes you fat are the carbs and sugar if you are not active enough they will be stored and then turn in to fat.
No, you eat too much protein and you will get fat, you eat to much fats and you will gain fat. Calories are what matter, not food type. Even people without access to carb sources get fat.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBRevolution View Post
If you only eat 600cals a day, your going to loose weight regardless of fasting.
Very true- but my 'fasting' days are the two non-consecutive days (technically, 36hrs) out of the week where I'm eating 600cals or slightly less. No other fasting is required or observed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi town saint View Post
Quote:
No, you eat too much protein and you will get fat, you eat to much fats and you will gain fat. Calories are what matter, not food type. Even people without access to carb sources get fat.
I suggest you guys look at the referenced material. You both are at least partially in-line with the latest scientific findings. I'd have to review for a 100% accurate summary but, I'll do my best here:

Excess protein and / or excess calories (no matter the source) cause our bodies to produce the Insulin-like Growth Factor 1 (IGF-1) hormone. This hormone tells cells in our bodies to grow/divide. Sustained high IGF1 levels have been associated with a host of problems to include cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and cancer.

Intermittent 'fasting' (or specifically, intermittent calorie restriction) has shown to reduce the levels of IGF-1, limit inflammation, improve levels of sugars and fats in circulation, and reduce blood pressure. The reduction or normalization of sugars and fats in the bloodstream lead to weight loss and, improved cholesterol levels.

Further, numerous studies (and my own personal experience over the last six+ weeks) have shown that folks don't 'make up' for the intermittent 'fasting days'.

Last edited by uv_halo; 09-27-2013 at 03:09 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 09-27-2013, 03:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

IMO, overall cals in/out accounts for 95% of weightloss, while timing, food selecton, body mechanisms account for maybe 5%I of weight lost.

These "varibles" that you're refering to can cause slight benefits, but they are fairly negligible in the grand scheme of dieting.

You lost 8lbs, I'm guessing 7.5lbs is from simply restricting calories, while that last .5lb might be from the slight increase in efficiency of the program.

Just pointing out that there is no magic solution, overall calories in vs calories expended is the backbone of weightloss.

I fast for 16hrs everyday when I lose weight, but I do it more out of convenience than functiionality.

End rant.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
aka FairLady

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
Quote:
IMO, overall cals in/out accounts for 95% of weightloss, while timing, food selecton, body mechanisms account for maybe 5%I of weight lost.
Put me in this school of thought. I've helped about a dozen or so people lose weight (including myself) using calorie tracking as a primary method.

You can lose lots of weight by calorie reduction in itself. If you eat 1000 calories a day and they all come from ice cream, you will still lose weight. The only problem is you will also lose muscle and will be nutrient deprived!

Too be honest though, I'm not sure how comfortable I am with the idea of fasting and working out with anything above moderate intensity. I once dieted extremely while running every day over a 3 month period. I lost extreme amounts of weight to the point on not being healthy. I lost about 30 pounds in a 3 month period and was thin to begin with. I had ZERO muscle left...it wasn't a good look!

My question - how many calories do you eat when you are NOT fasting? Can you add up all the calories consumed in a week and give us an average daily intake? Do you drink coffee by any chance?

I would suggest eating 1800ish calories a day and performing moderate exercise over fasting.

Last edited by 300z; 09-27-2013 at 04:22 PM.
300z is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Fitness