mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:52 AM   #11 (permalink)
All in

Brass N Wood Fan
What a piece of land! What a barn! That's a lot of work but it's really worth it. Kind of remember me when i used to live in a tent, not inside a barn but inside a barge.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:00 AM   #12 (permalink)
...Not sure what that was

I grew up on two farms as a kid, the second one ceased to be a working farm, and just became a ranch house with lots of land, and a barn. They converted the loft in the barn into a very nice apt, and left the bottom as a work shop. I've always wanted to do the same thing. Nice vaulted ceilings in the loft, **** loads of workshop space below....it would be like heaven. Close off an insulate a small spot for all my paintball gear, leave a barn door for my dirt bikes, quads etc....oh man! Need to go find me a farm and a barn!!!

Thats awesome for you, keep us updated with pics of the build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ieo View Post
I don't need it in my hands....the picture is right there. Cool thing about pictures: they give you an accurate representation of what something will look like. They've been doing it since 1822, or so I'm told.
Feedback
Disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:07 AM   #13 (permalink)
Mar
All nail Drum!

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
you're gonna be cold.
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:09 AM   #14 (permalink)
Tigerstyle

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Build a paintball field. The opportunity has basically been placed in your hands!
"Conformities are called for much more eagerly today than yesterday... skeptics, liberals, individuals with a taste for private life and their own inner standards of behavior, are objects of fear and derision and targets of persecution for either side... in the great ideological wars of our time."- Isaiah Berlin

"Freedom is not something that can be given. Freedom is something people take, and people are as free as they want to be."- James Baldwin
Ramous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 12:02 PM   #15 (permalink)
Post Whore

Barn's in nice shape, steel roof means at least you don't have to fix that right away.

The big issue you will run into is toilet, and heat.

That tent has no insulated floor.. You put that in the loft, you will be having cold air under your floor, you will lose alot of heat that way. I would not use wood heat unless you are CERTAIN you have good insulation/chimney.

Couple bits of advice (I am sure you have ideas, but let me see if I can articulate some issues I see here)

#1, I would start living in the lower level, insulate a corner of the cement wall (insulate the outside, use the concrete for thermal mass if you can isulate it from the rest of the barn, if not, just insulate it.

Build a rocket mass heater on the cheap, in there, use it for cooking/heat. The smaller the heated/insulated area the easier/cheaper it will be to keep warm.

What sort of provisions are you making for drinking water/toilet?

You could do the composting toilet thing I suppose, but there's issues you need to know how to handle that stuff.

After you have the small living space done and able to be lived in, you can begin the long project of making the rest of the place into a home, but you need at least a 10x10 area that is for sure going to hold heat. You are in Canada for crying out loud!
The greatest want of the world is the want of men- men who will not be bought or sold, men who in their inmost souls are true and honest, men who do not fear to call sin by it's right name, men who's concience is as true to duty as the needle to the pole, men who will stand for the right though the heavens fall.
Christian Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:26 PM   #16 (permalink)
the proper use of .50cal

So may posibilities, good luck. I couldn't help but thinking when I saw the picture of the hay loft, "ZEPLIN HANGER!"
Old 09-21-2010, 01:42 PM   #17 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

my cousin had a place like that and wanted to turn the loft into a bar
therealjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:19 PM   #18 (permalink)

"Were you raised in a barn?"

"Well as a matter of fact..."

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I have seen two barns turned into house, and man, they were some REALLY cool houses. Lots of room and tall ceilings. The openness is great.

Good luck, and I second the notion to get an area insulated to heat ASAP.
"I bring forth not the rays from the sun, but the lightning bolts from Jupiter."
ChaosPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:47 PM   #19 (permalink)
Thick

Send a message via AIM to HurtCow

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
My wife and I and sisters and their families all went and stayed at a bed n breakfast up along the North Coast of Ca last November. It was a huge barn that was divided into rooms with large common areas, bookshelves, woodstoves, etc. It was extremely warm and cozy feeling. Looks like your place has lots of potential for that kind of thing.

If I hurt your feelings or otherwise offended you, click here.
HurtCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:09 PM   #20 (permalink)
Bigger Balls

I cannot say that I share your enthusiasm about living in a renovated barn, but I have long yearned to live in a warehouse with walls that can be moved around but still be fixed in place (not rolling or anything like that, I'm thinking a grid of threaded inserts in the concrete that the walls bolt to). I think it could be done very cheaply, and extremely practical for long-term living. It would, of course, also serve as magnificent shop space.

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat