mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   General Chat (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/general-chat/)
-   -   Investing Thread (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/general-chat/196809-investing-thread.html)

Lead-Foot 03-23-2012 11:01 PM

Investing Thread

Moving the conversation to this thread. Talking about investing in the stock market.

I'd first like to ask if anyone uses etrade or scottrade and how they like the mobile app and the tools offered for research. I'm opening an account with one of them next week.

Bored383 03-24-2012 11:31 AM

the only stock I own is Church&Dwight

Ramous 03-24-2012 10:39 PM

Meh the stock market is unpredictable.... look into government tax leans.

Lead-Foot 03-25-2012 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramous (Post 2273371)
Meh the stock market is unpredictable.... look into government tax leans.

I think the stock market can be predictable. Research is involved; taking time to analyze companies 10k's 10q's a few years back and noticing trends in society and what types of products the company you're investing in is putting out on the market. Right now tech companies are pretty predictable to me because Im tech savvy.

I was hoping this topic would pick up a little more, perhaps it's too personal or the wrong group of people... Was hoping it would be a fun learning/sharing process much like the photo threads and fitness.

MaD 03-25-2012 05:03 AM

Apple is looking good still, picked some up. Mostly picking up metals when I can get them for a discount.

Lead-Foot 03-25-2012 07:26 AM

I have a close eye on HP. The new CEO is going to follow Steve Jobs' foot steps, shes already accepting a $1 salary like he did at apple and she has made references about him publicly. Already in the first few months that she's been leading them they've released a 'MacBook air' wanna be. Now she's combining the printer/pc divisions to consolidate for more control. HP originally began with servers for private enterprise so they are already well aware of how cloud storage works, I'm predicting that will be their next thing an unlike apple, HP will probably have a **** load of it for sale for android & windows phones/pc's, apple only sells theirs for apple devices and apple still doesn't have the majority of market share with their products. I've been paying attention to the chip makers as well and plan to jump on who ever they choose to go with - amd, intel, nvidia, will they choose windows 8 or android for tablet OS? May want to get on Microsoft as well for a year. HP is undervalued now sense the former CEO said they were getting out of the pc business. Since meg Whitman has been in charge and released the new HP folio and making sweeping decisions stockholder confidence is on the rise and HP stock shows it. If I could afford more than I could buy at the moment I'd get some shares but it wouldn't be a good return, which is why I'm checking out the little guys- chip makers. I have a feeling this time next year hp's stock will be around $37.00. This is a personal test I'm giving myself to see if I have a talent at predicting these things. So I'm just going to watch it closely this year.

Harbinger[TG] 03-25-2012 08:28 AM

ZeroHedge | On a long enough timeline the survival rate for everyone drops to zero
Stock Market News & Financial Analysis - Seeking Alpha

rawbutter 03-25-2012 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJOttawa (Post 2273703)
Individual stocks are unpredictable.

The markets as a whole are very predictable.

Don't try to time the market. You will NOT outsmart everyone else who has tried, failed, and lost money.

You want long term returns and some sense of security?
Buy index mutual funds or index ETFs with low MERs.

+1

I've been in the market for ten years with a Roth IRA through Fidelity. Most of my money is in a mutual fund (the "Vanguard Mid-cap Growth Investor," if you must know), but I've also kept a few grand out of that to play around with stocks and try to ride the waves.

In ten years, the money I have in the mutual fun has more than doubled, even though it struggled through those recession years. The money I invested myself in stocks? Nope. I'm ahead... but only by about 20%.

Also, it's worth mentioning to not put all your eggs in one basket, of course. Don't put your ENTIRE life savings in one place. It may be easier to track that way, but if something goes terribly wrong, at least you don't lose everything.

Lead-Foot 03-28-2012 09:34 PM

Which paintball companies are publicly traded?

oldschool 03-29-2012 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJOttawa (Post 2273703)
.....Don't stock pick or try to time the market.....

It's so easy to time the market.
Maybe you Canadians just don't know how to do it -

For instance - the NYSE is 9:00AM - 4:30PM
When the little hand is on the 9 and the big hand is on the 12 it opens and then when the little hand is on the 4 and the big hand is on the 6 it closes. See, it's easy to time the market.....

:p