mcarterbrown.com

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 04-15-2012, 03:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Simple mind - beware

Airsoft - First time playing

So, friends of mine have seemed to be switching over to Airsoft players.
On several occasions they have tried to get me out to play, and being the paintball player I am have always refused.

Well, I bit the bullet and headed out with them yesterday to a private group/field.
I was lent an ICS something or other (Sorry, haven't to foggiest when it comes to airsoft gear) to play with. Well, I was always under the assumption that airsoft was more accurate... I was surprised when first shooting the gun that I couldn't hit ANYTHING! Paintballs to me seem so much more accurate!

Tactics wise the game play seemed the same, except the guys in this group seemed to think they were real life soldiers (nothing wrong with that, just not what I am used to).

In the end I had fun playing airsoft but not enough to give up paintball.

Only negative (and its a big one) was the amount of cheating that was going on. At first I thought it was just because the team I was on had a bunch of new players where the other team was a group that often played/practiced together. That quickly changed when I smoked a guy several times in the chest and face, got shot out myself, called myself out and to my surprise the other guy kept on playing! I went back to my "res" point, waited my 45 seconds (at this point their team was sweeping past us - PERFECT) and went back into the game. I was able to sneak behind 3 of their players, and clearly shot them all out and again got shot out myself. As I am leaving, yet again the guys continue on their push.
I was furious! Here I am the new guy that they have been trying to convince all day to make the switch from Paintball to Airsoft and they cheat not once but twice within a matter of minutes right in front of my eyes?! I even let the organizer know and he just said "well, yeah it happens sometimes".
After this last game I decided I was done being cheated and started packing up. The organizer asked me if I had fun to which I replied "Yes, airsoft is fun, however there appears to be quite a bit more cheating then I am used to". He had the gull to ask me if I was going to come out again to play... simple answer "Not with this group, sorry."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvik View Post
9 times out of 10, it's an electric razor. But sometimes...

it's a dildo.
Me Feedback
Chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
...Not sure what that was

That's the main reason I haven't started playing or even tried airsoft. I knew the guys who play airsoft locally back when they played paintball. Biggest cheaters I ever knew, not in the mood to play airsoft with them when cheating is so much easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ieo View Post
I don't need it in my hands....the picture is right there. Cool thing about pictures: they give you an accurate representation of what something will look like. They've been doing it since 1822, or so I'm told.
Feedback
Disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

If the airsoft replica was less accurate than a paintball gun, then the hop up wasn't adjusted properly or the BBs were too light (I'm assuming it's the hop up). Every decent airsoft model I've shot has been quite accurate.

That real soldier vibe kind of ruins the game. People will talk **** if your gear isn't authentic or real... how are you supposed to respond to that? Between that and cheating, you definitely have to find the right group to play with.
StealingYerMail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Simple mind - beware

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealingYerMail View Post
If the airsoft replica was less accurate than a paintball gun, then the hop up wasn't adjusted properly or the BBs were too light (I'm assuming it's the hop up). Every decent airsoft model I've shot has been quite accurate.

That real soldier vibe kind of ruins the game. People will talk **** if your gear isn't authentic or real... how are you supposed to respond to that? Between that and cheating, you definitely have to find the right group to play with.
This field limited to 400fps and .20g BB's. To be honest, I didn't play around with the hop up at all on the gun, just shot it as it was handed to me.

Most of the guys I talked with were good guys, and understood I was playing for the first time (and a paintball player). They said the gear I was borrowing was good gear. It was the cheating attitude in game that bugged me. Had it not been for that my first time would have been an amazing one! Instead, it's was a less then stellar one
Quote:

it's a dildo.
Me Feedback
Old 04-15-2012, 04:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

I play a bit of airsoft. The game lives or dies with the honor of the players. In my area there is a large, well communicating and very honorable population of core players that make up 80% of a typical event's attendance. "Hacking" (the airsoft term for cheating here) is typically only the younger new kids obsessed with Call Of Duty. Once a player gets a bad rep their airsoft days at organized events here are numbered.

Another thing about airsoft is that is can be very hard to tell if you're hit. A BB floating in at long range is barely discernable on bare skin... throw in the mounds of tactical gear players tend to wear and it can be next to impossible to tell. I have found that I usually hear a hit or actually see a BB bounce off than actually feel it.

It can also be hard to tell if you are actually hitting. At range you can lose track of them and many don't know the limitations of their replica. I have stood in the open as newbie kids unload mag after mag at me from their $150, 280 fps AEGs and yell that I'm hacking; a ref is watching all their BBs hit the ground 10 feet in front of me.

I like paintball and airsoft; each fulfills a niche that the other doesn't. I'm just blessed that I have an honorable community to play with.
LettuceHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Simple mind - beware

Quote:
Originally Posted by LettuceHead View Post
Another thing about airsoft is that is can be very hard to tell if you're hit. A BB floating in at long range is barely discernable on bare skin... throw in the mounds of tactical gear players tend to wear and it can be next to impossible to tell. I have found that I usually hear a hit or actually see a BB bounce off than actually feel it.
I should add that one of the guys who I clearly blasted yelled at me for hitting him in the face. But yeah, these guys were geared to the nines, so I understand that can hinder the shot being felt. I called myself out when I felt the tiniest "Plink" anywhere on my body or gun, trying to be honest. Oh well.

I was just speaking my friend who invited me and he said "I asked around and this group is known for cheating". He won't be playing with them again which is a plus. Next event I will go out again with a different group and see how it plays out.
Quote:

it's a dildo.
Me Feedback
Old 04-15-2012, 04:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

As for the 'real soldier' vibe our area kinda nips that in the bud, too, as a decent percentage of the community's players are recent or current military and Iraq/ Afghanistan veterans. Not that they are necessarily better players but they help keep the COD kid's attitude in check.

Event storylines here tend to be along a "US military/ private contractor security force" against "insurgents/ militia force". That way all the anal retentive, latest and greatest look player's are with like-minded and the more casual players can run with what they bring. I always go 'rebel forces' with older gear like British P37 or P58 webbing, Bush War era camo and an M1A1 Thompson or old AK.

Just like anything, find a group you like and go with it
LettuceHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

That's always been what's bothered me the most about the idea of airsoft play- if so many people cheat at paintball, where they get clearly marked for others to see.... Then how much easier is it to cheat when the projectile DOESN'T mark the target?
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:20 AM   #9 (permalink)
Mind Detonator

I just really don't like airsoft as a game here. I kinda like some of the guns, especially the gas blowback pistols cause they are fun to plink stuff with, but as a game? terrible, absolutely terrible. Major negative factors to me include wannabe wargames attitude, call of duty kids, excessive amounts of gear, useless long range accuracy, low impact shots (weak!), safety concerns, cheating, boring crowd of players, no sense of its own style. I think in some parts of the world it makes sense where it's developed for indoor play, but here in North America? we have WAY more fun **** to do than airsoft!
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:35 AM   #10 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

You have to find the right group. I used to play airsoft a LOT but I only played with my friends who I trusted.

That said, I've played a lot more paintball lately
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat