mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 09-12-2013, 08:15 PM   #491 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
I'm not saying that everything on that site is bootleg but it's possible that some of it is.

Here are some things that are commonly associated with bootlegs though.

Cheap Price
Region 0
Chinese Subtitles
No Extras
Fewer Discs / More Episodes per Disc
Lack of Publisher and/or Studio
Anything with the FX, DTS, MAC, MI/AC, SM, etc

FWIW - That Yamato 2199 has the SM label on the box.

Gundam Unicorn is another example..

Legit / Bootleg
/
CCM Photographer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:00 PM   #492 (permalink)
Made With 100% Potato

AKA Fan
Kilt Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmak View Post
I saw one episode and thought, "damn this looks very promising." Life kicked in and I completely forgot about that show, thanks for reminding me that I need to watch it.
I would strongly suggest watching it during a slow week. It's around 80 episodes and is definitely a show you would not want to space out or it will gnaw at you.

It was executed really well, doesn't have any vibes of a show oriented towards younger audiences, just about zero corniness.

It was one of the few things I've watched where I could predict pretty much nothing.

On the flip side, Spice x Wolf and Samurai Champloo are pretty nice

Want to bring peace, tranquility, and the abundance of nice aftermarket parts to the paintball universe once and for all? Contribute to: www.tbqf.co

ALTBazaar.com - The end-all source to high performance and quality.
TBQF.co - The end all source for all cool things paintbally.

YeloSno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:03 PM   #493 (permalink)
Made With 100% Potato

AKA Fan
Kilt Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCM Photographer View Post
I'm not saying that everything on that site is bootleg but it's possible that some of it is.

Here are some things that are commonly associated with bootlegs though.

Cheap Price
Region 0
Chinese Subtitles
No Extras
Fewer Discs / More Episodes per Disc
Lack of Publisher and/or Studio
Anything with the FX, DTS, MAC, MI/AC, SM, etc

FWIW - That Yamato 2199 has the SM label on the box.

Gundam Unicorn is another example..

Legit / Bootleg
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...L._SL1000_.jpg / http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/517MuEcHePL.jpg
But the katakana on the bootleg version is sooo much cooooooler :P

OH ****

COWBOY BEBOP
(The movie, iirc, was about 3-4 hours, like Akira, and so, so, so, so, enthralling for me. Or at least it was...)

and even (well, its actually kinda on par)

OUTLAW STAR

That, that is a good show as well.

That was the only name I actually remembered from when I first saw 1 episode on toonami in early 2004 or 2005. I haven't seen another episode for about 6 years and would still continually think about it.

I actually have one of the first legit (japanese) editions of Outlaw Star on VHS in box set form with all those sleeves.

Need to buy a converter so I can slap that **** on my phone.

Want to bring peace, tranquility, and the abundance of nice aftermarket parts to the paintball universe once and for all? Contribute to: www.tbqf.co

Last edited by YeloSno; 09-13-2013 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:59 PM   #494 (permalink)
MCB Member

Monster while good, I do not feel should have been 80ish episodes. I felt like it drags in a couple spots and could have had the same effect/impact in about 50 or 60.

That was my initial reaction from years ago, but I could stand to give it a re-watch to see if I still feel the same.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:39 PM   #495 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by YeloSno View Post

OUTLAW STAR

That, that is a good show as well.

That was the only name I actually remembered from when I first saw 1 episode on toonami in early 2004 or 2005. I haven't seen another episode for about 6 years and would still continually think about it.
Love Outlaw Star. I remember when it first premiered on Toonami. Good news though, Funimation is bringing it back on Blu-Ray.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:48 PM   #496 (permalink)
Made With 100% Potato

AKA Fan
Kilt Fan
Palmers Fan
Well, ****.

I spent 7 years looking for a complete original box set and now I have to be a hipster because it's not just old school, but old old school.

*sigh*
I'll just go home and fondle my KP... maybe take some 80's wood-accented polaroid shots of it...

Or pirate the bluray version since my PC can play that ****

Old 09-13-2013, 03:53 PM   #497 (permalink)
Made With 100% Potato

AKA Fan
Kilt Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sincera View Post
Monster while good, I do not feel should have been 80ish episodes. I felt like it drags in a couple spots and could have had the same effect/impact in about 50 or 60.

That was my initial reaction from years ago, but I could stand to give it a re-watch to see if I still feel the same.
Sorry for multi posts.
On my phone at work, typing away is already kind of silly enough of a challenge without being spotted (CUBICALS FTMFW).

Aaaanywho: I liked about 60-70% of the slow episodes because it added depth, psychologically and emotionally to the characters.

Listening to conversations and how the characters developed ideas allowed you to be more in touch with some of the more ambiguous responses that they gave throughout the later episodes and gave some reasoning for the more "historical" events in the show, if you catch my drift. It also helped place some of the ancilliary characters further into the current of the story. Like when Deiter (sp?) was trying to talk to that rat-faced theif that ended up sort of babysitting him.

It was kind of a flash to "Well, the Doctor is in the woods finding Nina.... and this is what's kickin' in Berlin."

To add to that last idea, it also gives you a more... POV-ish feeling of the situtation from multiple angles, without making you biased towards/against any party (which, lets be frank, changes how we view the rest of the events in any show we watch) which I liked. Some of those slow episodes really set you up for feeling like part of what's going on when things sped up or new events started to take place.

Not sure if that all made sense.... Maybe if you read that backwards upside down on a few mugs of coffee, perchance?

EDIT: lol, just read the first page. most of the posts on the first page give a good list of all the shows I'd suggest to just about anyone lmao.

They're pretty good.

Last edited by YeloSno; 09-13-2013 at 03:59 PM.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:03 PM   #498 (permalink)
MCB Member

So, CCM Photographer, I finished Black Lagoon yesterday (24 eps was all I had). It ended really dark. I liked it better in the beginning when it was about the four of them and the boat. The boat really wasn't in the last 1/6th of the series, and Benny and Dutch had only bit parts that didn't even need to be in the story.
bellicose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:07 PM   #499 (permalink)
Sorry, that's classified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellicose View Post
So, CCM Photographer, I finished Black Lagoon yesterday (24 eps was all I had). It ended really dark. I liked it better in the beginning when it was about the four of them and the boat. The boat really wasn't in the last 1/6th of the series, and Benny and Dutch had only bit parts that didn't even need to be in the story.
That grunge is what makes it so good, you're sort of satisfied, but you're not complete.
Donut SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:57 PM   #500 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellicose View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut SD View Post
That grunge is what makes it so good, you're sort of satisfied, but you're not complete.
Well, that is part of what makes Black Lagoon good imo. It's all that dirt and grit that shows just how their world is. Benny and Dutch are the only two Lagoon members that haven't had much of their back story revealed. Hopefully in Season 3..

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat