mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
Fortune and Glory

Send a message via AIM to Crimson Death

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
My friend will paint your army for you for a decent price if you're lazy.
Crimson Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:34 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conker View Post
Any tips from players here? Looking at tyranids mainly. Or people wanting to unload a starter army? All help appreciated. Thanks
The only caution I would provide against starting a Nid army is that it is a horde army: you're going to have a lot more models to assemble and paint. The average points cost per model is lower than many other armies so you'll be able to fit more units into the same game. If you want an army that has a pretty high points-to-unit ratio, go with Grey Knights or Necrons, which are actually pretty strong factions considering recent codex updates.

BUT, if tyranids have caught your interest, for any reason, then def go with them (they are pretty cool actually). Oh and I don't have an starter army for ya, but I do have an extra Tyranids codex I'd be happy to unload. In case you didn't know, you WILL need a codex, they usually run about $30 new, I'll give you mine for $20, Paypal'd and shipped. Lemme know!
Arguemaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

The thing I never understood about 40k is with such a rich backstory and countless chapters/armies, why the hell did everyone pick ultramarines? Theme your armies, you will get more satisfaction from them in the end. I played a lot of GW games over the past years, and have many armies. All of them are themed, from my smaller grey knights to my 3800 point steel legion list.
Pat.

Tell me why I had to be a powerslave.
I don't wanna die, I'm a god, why can't I live on?
When the Life Giver dies, all around is laid waste.
And in my last hour,
I'm a slave to the power of death.
p-bpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:53 PM   #14 (permalink)
Thrillin' Heroics

A lot of people don't care about the fluff, and Ultramarines are easy to collect, easy to paint to an attractive standard, and kind of the default paint scheme for people just following the instructions.

I agree that it's more fun to convert-both my armies have conversions on almost every model (Custom Crisis suits, cloaks and an urban camo scheme on the Fire Warriors, berets and parachute packs on the Guardsmen, different Heavy Weapons teams (Although that was mostly to get the most from each box of HWs), ec), but I understand why people who just want to play don't.

Glory, glory, what a hell of a way to die,
With a rifle in your hands and you're falling through the sky,
He ain't gonna jump no more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by usagi_tetsu View Post
Nothing says "violent and insane" like sharpening a shotgun.
Marauder_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:57 PM   #15 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

All I have left is Space Hulk... but as several here can attest, I've had a ton of GW stuff.

Way back in the modified published home rules for 1st Ed. you could mix all sorts of stuff for an army.. So I had purchased a bunch of IG Desert Raiders to mix in with my Space Marines...... then 2nd Ed. dropped in everyone's laps and that was no longer an option. I have long since lost track of where the rules stand... but I do recommend trying to play along side someone to learn for as long as you can before dumping hundred of dollars (and more) on an army.

E
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:02 PM   #16 (permalink)
Thrillin' Heroics

The 5th Edition starter set actually has a really good 'How to Start' manual for two players.

And, amazingly, the local GW stores run the best starter games I've ever seen now. For a while, their staff was terrible, but they've really picked up in the past few years. Not to stereotype, but they seem to have fired all the fat, lazy nerds and hired people who might know a little bit less about the minutiae of the game and more about how to talk to real, live people. (EBGames did this too a few years ago-gamers generally do not make good salespeople.)

Quote:
Old 04-27-2012, 01:04 PM   #17 (permalink)
Shoots First

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoo View Post
A thing to note, the 'Nids excel with numbers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper42 View Post
I used too play tyranids. Best advice I can give is to not spend too much points on special creatures like a carnifex or trying to take a bunch of upgrades for one unit. Take lots of synapse creatures and extra swarmy things instead. You will lose many of your swarms but by the time you get to them in assault, you should still have plenty to slice 'em to pieces. Numbers are your friend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder_Pilot View Post
Tyranids are the original Zerg rush. (Literally, since Starcraft was originally going to be a Warhammer 40K game)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arguemaniac View Post
The only caution I would provide against starting a Nid army is that it is a horde army
Is Nid-Zilla not a legitimate army choice anymore? When I quit, most 'nid armies around here were 2 Hive Tyrant, 6 Carnifexes, X Genestealers - hard army, low model count, and nothing needed synaps.

redthirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:09 PM   #18 (permalink)
Evil Omen Techmaster

Watch out for tau! Long range weapons are your worst nightmare!

BTW: I play Eldar, Tau And Now Black Templars.
ogti9g9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:10 PM   #19 (permalink)
Thrillin' Heroics

It's still worth it, but two changes in 5th made swarms a lot more valuable:

-Cover saves when shooting through another unit (If there's another unit in between the shooter and the target, they get a 5+ cover save)
-Run (All units can exchange shooting for running D6" during the shooting phase. If they already had an ability that does that, they get a bonus that I can't remember any more)

Nidzilla is still viable, but swarms are a lot tougher and faster now. Plus, they got a new codex a year or so ago too.

Quote:
Old 04-27-2012, 01:14 PM   #20 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

It's up to 5th already? Christ it was still in 1st until 1999.

E
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat