mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:15 PM   #21 (permalink)
Thrillin' Heroics

6th is coming next year. They grunt out a new edition every 4 years or so, and 3-4 redone Codexes a year, on Fantasy and 40K.

Glory, glory, what a hell of a way to die,
With a rifle in your hands and you're falling through the sky,
Glory, glory, what a hell of a way to die,
He ain't gonna jump no more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by usagi_tetsu View Post
Nothing says "violent and insane" like sharpening a shotgun.
Marauder_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:17 PM   #22 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Man I'm glad I got out of that hobby.

E
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:22 PM   #23 (permalink)
Shoots First

Hell, Schmitti, it was 3rd edition when I started in 2001 - apparently they went through editions quick in those two years.

IIrc, Fleet allows you to still assault after you run. I played 5th and the big dudes were still better because their guns were ridiculous, they benefited from cover (kind of behind a fence? Cool! 4+), and they were tough as hell. Of course, I have no experience with their new codex so I couldn't tell you what they're like now.

redthirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:29 PM   #24 (permalink)
Lathe Fiend

I used to field a semi-zilla army with a tyrant+guard, 3 carnifexes, and a bunch of stealers. The problem with a lot of players is the instant they see something big hit the table, they focus most of their firepower on those things. I used to take the large creatures as kind of a distraction. They would all shoot at the big bug as the little ones rush in to swarm them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOldSkool View Post
CNC's are for nerds...
MCB Feedback

Sheridan Misc FS: Grips, bodies
sniper42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:33 PM   #25 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by redthirst View Post
Hell, Schmitti, it was 3rd edition when I started in 2001 - apparently they went through editions quick in those two years.

IIrc, Fleet allows you to still assault after you run. I played 5th and the big dudes were still better because their guns were ridiculous, they benefited from cover (kind of behind a fence? Cool! 4+), and they were tough as hell. Of course, I have no experience with their new codex so I couldn't tell you what they're like now.
Gah.. I was wrong.. turns out I was using a 2nd ed. set... 3rd came out officially in 98. Man my memory is failing me.

Warhammer 40,000 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 04-27-2012, 01:39 PM   #26 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Part of my problem was as soon as I came home from college I couldn't find any where to play. There were two stores with in driving distance where there were game nights... one shut down pretty quickly. The other may still exist but the crowd was pretty tight and didn't seem like they wanted any new blood... that and card games were really starting to pick up again (Star Wars) so more time and space was devoted to that stuff.

I will say that I wish I could have found people willing to play Cityfight.. the smaller armies and urban guerilla tactics appealed to me.. but again, people just wanted HUGE armies.

At one point I had a bunch of Ghorka Morka models.. fun to build with .. but see above as to why they weren't used much.

And I had fantasy stuff too (I'm pretty sure someone here bought all my Mordheim stuff the other year).. again small scale urban fighting.. just fantasy rather than 40k.

And.. I even had a Necromunda gang... again... players at college, but none at home

E
Old 04-27-2012, 04:45 PM   #27 (permalink)
Jack Wagon!

Send a message via AIM to d4rksabre

I've got a small Eldar army laying around I'd be willing to part with. It's just collecting dust. I always enjoyed painting them more than playing. It's probably been a good 7 years since I touched em.

I'll take some pictures and get a figure count when I'm home tomorrow. If you're interested let me know. I'd sell realllllly cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be4life182 View Post
ill gats pwn nubs n give mE pwners?
d4rksabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:25 PM   #28 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper42 View Post
The problem with a lot of players is the instant they see something big hit the table, they focus most of their firepower on those things. I used to take the large creatures as kind of a distraction. They would all shoot at the big bug as the little ones rush in to swarm them.
Any large vehicle or monstrous creature is a fire magnet, so don't waste too many points on them. I play both IG-Joes and Chaos, and used to have SM, Eldar, and Dark Eldar. My brothers were Space wovles, 'nids, Tau, Blood Angels, and friends have had Necron, Orks, Eldar, and Sisters (which are now witchhunters I believe). I've fielded or played against most everything, and will tell you straight up to find out what your playing style is first, determine what army you think looks the coolest, and then play borrowed armies before you buy. Then, and only then, should you make a purchase. Also, be creative. The most fun I had was customizing my models. My daemon prince has two LED's in it, and my hellhound has a speaker and room for my iPod shuffle. There is nothing like playing Flight of the Valkyries as you burn down a group of eldar popcorn.

As for the true stories that are frustrating -- I pointblank shot a swarm of necron scarabs with my basilisk, it drifted into my tank and ended up blowing myself up... On the plus side, my Eversor assassin took out 6 wraithguards in one bout of close combat. I was so proud.

Schmitti, you can still field IG and SM together as long as you have inquisitors as your HQ choice.
bellicose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:49 PM   #29 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by redthirst View Post
Don't know how it is now, but when I stopped playing if you brought an IG Leafblower list to a tournament your games basically went like this:

IG Player: You playing Full Seer Council on Jetbikes with Spears?
Opponent: No
IG Player: Cool. I win. Want to grab some food?

If you're interested in a Space Marine army, I'm selling a ton of stuff in the Yard Sale section. If you buy the lot, it's like 70% off (though a few things are pending), if you pick and choose, I'll still do 50% off retail. It's got the models for another tournament staple list too (or, at least, what was when I stopped playing) - Thunder Hammer/Storm Shield Terminators in Land Raiders. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Agreed. Back in 2nd ed the Guard were holy terrors to play against. Then 3rd ed came along and cut the balls off the game. Seriously, only 3 shots with an assault cannon? And assault cannon SHOULD be able to wipe out a whole squad. Its a mini gun for petes sake. And since when can a a tank NOT move and fire more than one gun? Seriously?
Interceptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:59 PM   #30 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
Agreed. Back in 2nd ed the Guard were holy terrors to play against. Then 3rd ed came along and cut the balls off the game. Seriously, only 3 shots with an assault cannon? And assault cannon SHOULD be able to wipe out a whole squad. Its a mini gun for petes sake. And since when can a a tank NOT move and fire more than one gun? Seriously?
Totally agreed on that. The Guard got hosed with the switch to 3rd ed.

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat