mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
clc
Rec Poster

FOW anybody?

I see regular talk of 40k but what about FOW? Being a bit of a WWII buff I feel id be able to get into it but cant find many FOW gamers. 40K is fun and all but I didnt like the attitudes of the gamers much and was hoping the historicalness of FOW would bring more mature gamers to the table. Anybody?
Old 04-30-2012, 04:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
One Pump Chump

Fan of EMR
Kilt Fan
it doesn't bring more mature people, just older gamers with attitudes..
cirkle68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
clc
Rec Poster

lol thanks that's what I was afraid of. It just sucks because im a regular guy that doesn't want to play a against a dude talking like a Ork.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clc View Post
lol thanks that's what I was afraid of. It just sucks because im a regular guy that doesn't want to play a against a dude talking like a Ork.
Can't say that I have had that happen, although I don't doubt the validity. I was thinking about FOW, but then I looked at one of the packages of pewter infantrymen and they were so poorly cast, with flashing as thick as the figure, I decided against it. Quality control isn't there. Now with 40k, I have had two incomplete models, and they replaced them with a quick call. I even got a free 20 troop IG set from them.
bellicose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
clc
Rec Poster

Quote:
Can't say that I have had that happen, although I don't doubt the validity. I was thinking about FOW, but then I looked at one of the packages of pewter infantrymen and they were so poorly cast, with flashing as thick as the figure, I decided against it. Quality control isn't there. Now with 40k, I have had two incomplete models, and they replaced them with a quick call. I even got a free 20 troop IG set from them.
Ive actually never seen the figs.

It just sucks that the one and only LGS ive been to was filled with nothing but pretentious people. LATD and the genestealer cult are what brought me to table top gaming.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

I play a little bit. I have a pretty complete British Airborne company that can do either parachute or glider infantry and enough Germans to put together a scratch infantry company with some supporting armor. I agree that a lot of the model quality is hit or miss but that is common for 15mm. You can only get so much fine detail. It doesn't bother me too much as I've always been more concerned with the gameplay and less on the modeling.

The system is very playable and flows pretty good but its hardly an in-depth historical simulation. A lot of the mechanics are pretty generalized across most units in the interest of gameplay. Most people I know with obsessions in both WW2 and gaming didn't care for it, saying it was too 'generic' of a system. Of course, the WW2 game systems they prefer are all out of production. FoW for me strikes a good balance between fun number-crunching playability and satisfying my inner WW2 geek.

Some of my British Airborne ... my old camera doesn't do them justice!

LettuceHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

That static grass looks great.
bellicose is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat