mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 09:00 AM   #11 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kospauste View Post
Please tell me you're trolling. What do you mean sooner or later? It's happened many times in the last few years. We just had a mass shooting up here at a kid's street party, because a couple of young men got it into their heads that a gun was problem solver.

Don't get me started on this whole, 'if only I was there' nonsense. Did carry and conceal laws help at Columbine, Virginia Tech or Congresswoman Gifford's shooting? You can't possibly get your bearings when all hell breaks loose and even then, you're just another yahoo shooting a gun into a crowd.

The whole and entire problem, deny it as we try, is easy access to guns. Most states and some provinces, you have to have a license to drive, but not to own a lethal firearm. Explain to me why this makes sense.
Show me one instance where strict gun control laws have reduced crime when they have been implemented. One. Anywhere in the world where it has been tried. Even if I grant face validity to your argument there have been numerous attempts to prove it and none have supported the theory. Not even island nations that should be naturally isolated.

Quote:
Ever since I got my ccw, I've always carried when I go to the theater...

I knew this would happen sooner or later, as the shooter can cover the exit/entrance and the people are trapped with NO cover, as movie seats don't stop bullets. I read he was in there for 20 minutes shooting... with over 50 victims that is just crazy. I bet people threw phones at him like the other mass shootings... We need to protect ourselves, as when seconds count, the police are minutes away.
As wrong as kospauste is about the effects of gun control on criminal behavior he is likely right about part of it. We were having this discussion this morning. Most theatres around here (which by MI law are weapons free zones and your CCW does not count) are dark with limited entrances and exits. You can literally stand at the entrance and see all entrances and exits. You have what was likely a packed show, in the dark, with people scrambling and trying to get away. It is highly unlikely (unless you were within about 5-10 feet of the shooter) that a gun would have done you any good unless you were willing to accept collateral damage.

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Old 07-20-2012, 09:01 AM   #12 (permalink)
Shoots First

Quote:
Don't get me started on this whole, 'if only I was there' nonsense. Did carry and conceal laws help at Columbine, Virginia Tech or Congresswoman Gifford's shooting?
Ummm... no, but mostly because a CCW doesn't permit you to carry on a public school or University - if there were responsible people in those schools with guns then I imagine the shooters wouldn't have been able to casually walk around killing innocents for as long as they did.

The Gifford shooting is in a whole other catagory - the gunman shot her, unloaded on the crowd and then tried to take off. A whole army battalion standing around probably wouldn't have stopped him from getting off that first shot + a few more.

Now, while resposible people carring guns and willing to use them to defend themselves and others probably wouldn't have stopped 100% of the carnage, they almost certainly would have limited it. You know what wouldn't have stopped a damn thing, though? Outlawing carrying weapons.

I gurarantee you that no one ever seriously thought - man, I wish I could shoot up place X and kill a bunch of people, but there's just no way that I can legally get my guns there, so I'd better not.

Also, making guns harder to get is a joke. All that does is make it harder for lawful citizens to legally buy a gun. Criminals can't legally buy or own a gun as-is, but they always seem to be able to get them somewhere if they want them.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:05 AM   #13 (permalink)
Hates the Media

Fan of EMR
Quote:

The whole and entire problem, deny it as we try, is easy access to guns. Most states and some provinces, you have to have a license to drive, but not to own a lethal firearm. Explain to me why this makes sense.
BS

If someone wants a gun, they will obtain a gun. Fact. The only thing strict gun laws do, is make people trying to defend themselves have a harder time doing just that. It's the 2nd Amendment, and that's all there is to it.

Your own argument is like saying spoons make people fat, not the people eating ice cream.

And this was an unfortunate occurrence.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:10 AM   #14 (permalink)
Formerly DeTrevni

I'm sad that this conversation is probably going to get locked. I always enjoy reading gun ownership debates.

As to the tragedy at hand, well, my casual observation is that there have been a LOT of bad shootings the world over recently. The human race really is spiraling downward as of late...

Old 07-20-2012, 09:16 AM   #15 (permalink)
Trails Of Doom

I will protect my family, and others. And I am not saying "I wish I was there...".

Don't know where you got that idea...

I always make seating choices based on tactical thought, it is just the way I am. And I wouldn't fire into a crowd...

Our society is now full of crazies. And throwing a phone at them when they execute your family is useless.

I prefer my constitutional rights...
Old 07-20-2012, 09:18 AM   #16 (permalink)
Post Whore

This is most definately a tragedy and I don't think there's a clear cut explanation as to how this could have been prevented. If someone armed had been there I agree it probably would not have helped. However on the other hand stricter gun control would not have stopped this man from obtaining the means to so harm in the same way pot being illegal doesn't seem to deter something like 60% of people using it. As far as allowing more people to gain easier access to guns being a deterrent of crime or claiming that if more responcible people had been carrying during these tragedies would have somehow prevented them from happening. I'm sorry I have to disagree I don't think 80% of the people walking the earth right this second are smart enough to be trusted with a box.of.crayons . Generally speaking people are crazy and stupid at he same time I don't trust them with a gun anymore than this crazed individual . The real deterrent and no one likes when I say this is regulating.birth stupid people raise stupid children. But if you do that its called fascism apparently . So your stuck .
Aka "wagz" on the field
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Old 07-20-2012, 09:22 AM   #17 (permalink)
Trails Of Doom

I'd rather have someone with a CCW than a phone...

Especially when I was being attacked...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soZT__WQKsM
Old 07-20-2012, 09:22 AM   #18 (permalink)
Pin-Up on the Interwebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuff View Post
BS

If someone wants a gun, they will obtain a gun. Fact. The only thing strict gun laws do, is make people trying to defend themselves have a harder time doing just that. It's the 2nd Amendment, and that's all there is to it.

Your own argument is like saying spoons make people fat, not the people eating ice cream.

And this was an unfortunate occurrence.
Truth. Outlaws and criminals aren't going to respond to stricter gun laws when they weren't obeying the gun laws to begin with. It seems like some gun control laws are aimed at the wrong group...i.e. law abiding citizens. Wtf...

Currently printing the application for CCP in Rhode Island. I'll need to prove an adequate "need" for my CCP, which has to be approved by the Attorney General....otherwise I get denied. Wish me luck.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:34 AM   #19 (permalink)
Nocturnal

Fan of EMR
Palmers Fan
There is no way this thread is possibly going to remain civil. This topic is on a thousand other sites right now, for you to discuss to your heart's content. It's already going to **** in the first page here. Take your political posts to the media websites.

Thread closed.

My MCB feedback
Closed Thread

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat