mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
Exterminate!

Send a message via AIM to WilD

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
I think it's important to note that the bill was not for "saving the boy", but rather his ambulance ride. I think the statement that he thought the ride to the hospital was "routine" means the public needs to be better educated on when not to get into an ambulence.
WilD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
Yes, that is a joke ---->

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Maybe they should put taxi meters or a menu in the ambulance so you know what the charge is going to be.

"Wait, stop! Let me off, I'm out of money. I'll walk from here"
ta2maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilD View Post
I think it's important to note that the bill was not for "saving the boy", but rather his ambulance ride. I think the statement that he thought the ride to the hospital was "routine" means the public needs to be better educated on when not to get into an ambulence.
Don't forget the bill for the ER and all that too. You know, all the things he wouldn't have had pushed on him if he had of just said "Oh, what a shame someone is drowning. Sucks to be him, wonder what's for dinner."

Not sure how things are else where, but I do know emergency services tend to gloss over any related costs here at the time, and make things sound reasonable.
Luckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:16 PM   #14 (permalink)
Red

CCM Fan
Here is the awesome thing. If it is found out he is trained and COULD have helped - he could be sued.

Gotta love it...

TF

TF's MCB Trust.
Talfuchre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 03:44 AM   #15 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Send a message via MSN to Deuce

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talfuchre View Post
Here is the awesome thing. If it is found out he is trained and COULD have helped - he could be sued.

Gotta love it...

TF
As much as I dislike any extra laws or regulations, this is why we NEED "good samaritan" laws to protect good people from this kind of nonsense.

Co-Captain/ Co-Founder
Team-Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
I'd wipe, play-on and overshoot.
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:03 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
As much as I dislike any extra laws or regulations, this is why we NEED "good samaritan" laws to protect good people from this kind of nonsense.
I thought the point of good samaritan laws generally are designed to impose criminal liability on people who can help but choose not to.
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:33 AM   #17 (permalink)
Bruins World Order

AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inflicted View Post
I thought the point of good samaritan laws generally are designed to impose criminal liability on people who can help but choose not to.
In Canuckistan, the Good Samaritan Act takes away any and all liability if you're trained and don't overstep the limits of your training. Not sure if it allows for liability if you do nothing, but I know it does if you stop after you start helping before EMS/Fire arrives.

I'd VERY much like to see the breakdown of a $1900 ambulance ride. In Ontario it's $50 by bus or by helicopter and I think that's just so people don't abuse it. The care is "free".

I remember once hearing from my cousin that he was attacked (he's an EMT in the US) by a parent of a kid they were about to transport because he wouldn't have been able to afford the bill.
Seconded. Hence forth this is to be the official nomenclature of marker sales. Violators will be violated.
StJimmy666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:35 AM   #18 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Send a message via MSN to Deuce

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
I guess like most everything, it depends on the state. In my last state they served to protect you from instances like the one in the first post.

If you worked to save someone and they were injured as a result they couldn't come after you since without your action they'd be dead anyways.

One example is breaking someones ribs (common occurance) while performing CPR.

Co-Captain/ Co-Founder
Team-Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
I'd wipe, play-on and overshoot.
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:49 AM   #19 (permalink)
Eating Iranian Happy Cake

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
No, good samaritan laws are to protect people from criminal or civil suits (sp?) if they attempt to help someone. An example would be a person pulls someone out of a burning car wreck, but the person has a broken back and becomes paralyzed from being pulled from the wreck. They can't sue the person who pulled them from the wreck, because that person was acting to save their life.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:24 AM   #20 (permalink)
Its a sport of honor.

As a former PAramedic I can tell you two things about this incident.

He did not have to go is he did not want to. Wild is correct, the public needs to be educated about when to use the EMS system. About %20 of the calls I had were people thinking that being taken by the ambulance would get them priority in the ER... It dosent.

And the cost, most private ambulance companies get about a %45-%50 return in billing. Try running a biz with those stats.

Deputy Sheriff/Death Investigator.
My day begins when yours ends.
Fridaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat