mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 08-04-2006, 04:51 PM   #11 (permalink)
Red

CCM Fan
What is the differnece between a premium and a core system? I am lookinf for specs but having trouble sorting throught l337 spam.

EDIT:

Found it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360

TF

TF's MCB Trust.

Last edited by Talfuchre; 08-04-2006 at 04:58 PM.
Talfuchre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 05:10 PM   #12 (permalink)
XYZZY

Send a message via AIM to Jaan Send a message via Yahoo to Jaan

I wouldn't buy a new console right at the moment. I'd wait and see.

The Playstation 3 is supposed to come out soon ... although it looks to be expensive and the buzz right now isn't that good. However there's no way to tell if it will save or sink Sony until it hits the stores. If it lives up to the hype, then you'll get a console that will play your old Playstation games, and be a high def DVD player to boot.

The other option is for the projected price of the Playstation 3 you can get a Wii and an X-Box 360.

EDIT: PS, the Playstation 3 so far is going to be able to use a keyboard and a mouse to play games. I really don't know how people can play first person shooters without a keyboard and mouse. If you really like first person shooters that much, upgrade your computer (c:
Jaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 05:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to komodo Send a message via Yahoo to komodo

The core is the stripped down system. It only comes with the bare system, an Xbox Live Silver Membership (with a Gold trial), a wired controller, and an AV cable.

The Premium however, is nicer. It has chrome highlights and such, along with a 20gig removable harddrive for downloadable content and saaving game. Also, you get an Xbox live headset, an ethernet cable (im just assuming a simple Cat5 line), and instead of a wired controller, you get a nicer wireless one. Instead of an AV cable, you get an HD-AV cable, used for should you get an HDTV down the line, you can get the greatest picture quality. Also includes the Xbox Live Silver Membership, with a Gold trial, just as the core system.

The Premium is better to say the least. Seperate, all of those things could cost up to $200 or more. Its a good deal for only $100 more. I just dont care for the chrome highlights. I like the plain look of the core system. Beggers cant be choosers I guess...

...especially those llamas that associate with asssfruit, I mean, bananas.
komodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 05:19 PM   #14 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaan
I wouldn't buy a new console right at the moment. I'd wait and see.

The Playstation 3 is supposed to come out soon ... although it looks to be expensive and the buzz right now isn't that good. However there's no way to tell if it will save or sink Sony until it hits the stores. If it lives up to the hype, then you'll get a console that will play your old Playstation games, and be a high def DVD player to boot.

The other option is for the projected price of the Playstation 3 you can get a Wii and an X-Box 360.

EDIT: PS, the Playstation 3 so far is going to be able to use a keyboard and a mouse to play games. I really don't know how people can play first person shooters without a keyboard and mouse. If you really like first person shooters that much, upgrade your computer (c:
You can get a keyboard and mouse setup with the 360 too, just to let ya know. Also, the 360 will soon have an HD-DVD add on to play HD-DVDs.

The PS3 is just too damn expensive, IMO. I mean, sure, its superior to the 360, but not by much. The only thing they have going for them is the Blu-Ray player built in. The motion sensing controller is a total ripoff of the Wii too.

Id just get a 360 and a Wii for the price of the PS3. The only thing you would have to worry about would be the whole movie format thing anyways. It doesnt seem like DVDs ar going to die out immediatly anyways, so you'd have time to get just a standard player for whatever format becomes the standard, instead of trying to play to movies off your game system.

Its all going to boil down to whether Blu-Ray or HD-DVD wins the next gen movie market. I personally cant see myself buying either type of player right now. Ill wait 5 years and see where its all heading before I make my decision.

Old 08-04-2006, 05:24 PM   #15 (permalink)

If you are interested in the xbox 360 platinum, I can let a couple go at $385 shipped. I got a good deal on 3 of them and 2 are still sealed in the box.

Last edited by taliesian; 08-04-2006 at 05:33 PM. Reason: oops
taliesian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 05:29 PM   #16 (permalink)
XYZZY

Send a message via AIM to Jaan Send a message via Yahoo to Jaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by komodo
You can get a keyboard and mouse setup with the 360 too, just to let ya know.
I know. You can also get an adaptor for the original XBox and Playstation 2 called a SmartJoy Frag. It works OKay, depending on the game. It's better than the controller but not quite as good as if the console, and the games, were designed with a keyboard and mouse in the first place.
Jaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 06:47 PM   #17 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaan
I know. You can also get an adaptor for the original XBox and Playstation 2 called a SmartJoy Frag. It works OKay, depending on the game. It's better than the controller but not quite as good as if the console, and the games, were designed with a keyboard and mouse in the first place.
Oh yea, cant disagree with that. Gotta love PC shooters. I am a CS:S, Halo, Red Faction, and UT2k4 addict. I cant play anything more powerful than that though. I really need to upgrade this thing. Cant wait for Halo 2 though. *gets giddy*

Old 08-05-2006, 03:24 PM   #18 (permalink)
Red

CCM Fan
I loved Halo, Splinter Cell, Cyphon Filter, Medal of Honor - but have not played much more. What are the MUST HAVES in this genre?

TF

TF's MCB Trust.
Talfuchre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 03:36 PM   #19 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Firestorm

PS3, is dieing before it is even relased, a lot of developers are dropping their titles for it. X-Box 360 is well, ok I was looking at getting one, but upgraded my computer instead.

Just look at it this way, I am currently going to school for game design in my class of about 30, 1 person has access to a 360 (his friend owns it) 1 or 2 people are going to get the PS3. Around 25 people are waiting for the nintendo Wii.
Old 08-06-2006, 05:01 AM   #20 (permalink)
is in the left gate...

Send a message via AIM to jwigum

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidneythief
I bought a 360 premium and havent looked back since.

If you arent that serious of a gamer then you may want to wait a couple months for the Nintendo Wii($200-250). Also if you havent checked into the next gen consoles you may want to read up.

-Jake
Exactly. I'd even expand on that more, and say to go with a Wii60.
jwigum is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat