mcarterbrown.com

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 08-03-2006, 06:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Blue - Red

CCM Fan
Need help with Gaming Console Selection.

I am not a very serious gamer - I owned a PS2 for a long time and LOVE 3rd person shooters (1st person shooters are cool too). I have had my eye on an X-box for a while but want advice.

How much should I pay?
What should I get with it?
I do not care about x-box live - can I save money?
What accesories do I need?
I want to have fun but save money - what games shoudl I get (again I am a 3rd person and 1st person shooter geek) I loved Syphon Filter, Halo, Hitman 2, Splinter Cell and the like. I am not a big fan of team play and Sim style games.

Just your random advice would be great.

TF

TF's MCB Trust.
Talfuchre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 06:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Loin Falcon Palin

Send a message via AIM to paintjunque

I'm partial to "Black" and SOCOM series. SOCOM 3 is a blast online.
paintjunque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 09:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

You can get a refurbed or used xbox at EB type places for about $100. If youre only looking for single player it will come with everything you need, it has a hard drive for all of your saves and so on. I buy all of my games used, about a month or two after they come out at a more than 50% savings over new. Im not a serious gamer at all, im ususally using cheat codes after an hour or so Black, Mercenaries, halo 2, half life 2, DOOM 3 etc are all amazing games and used copies can be found for about $20.

Jason
Jdonlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 09:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
chuff chuff

Send a message via AIM to Hobbes

There's always Greg Hastings Tournament Paintball for the Xbox, I think it's a lot of fun. Half-Life 2 is a great game, I wouldn't play the Xbox version since I'd rather play a shooter on the PC any day of the week. I think you'll definately want to check out Kill Switch, that's available for the PS2 and Xbox and it should be pretty cheap by now.
Hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 09:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via MSN to Gabe

The bare-bones X-box comes with exactly what you are looking for. It doesnt have anything extra, and it doesnt require anything extra to use.I'd say go for the basic X-box with an extra control and get any of the Grand Theft Auto series. I've been playing San Andreas for a while now and it ROCKS (it's also only $20)! Splinter Cell is also a game that is well worth the money you pay for it.

"What makes a VM so charming is that you can chop down small trees with it" - Jaan
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 09:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
www.tituspb.com

Star Wars battlefront for XBOX. I would search Ebay like I did for people who just posted and offer them about $100 or so.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 09:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to komodo Send a message via Yahoo to komodo

Get a an Xbox 360 Core system. Its a tad bit more expensive than a normal Xbox, but is backward compatible with most Xbox games. The Xbox is kind of obsolete. Beleive me, the 360 will pay for itself in the long run. And should you want some of the other goodies for it, you can always upgrade later.

Really, there is no reason to get a regular Xbox that cant apply to the 360 as well, other than price and availibility. Not to mention, the magnificent lineup of shooters coming out for it. Perfect Dark Zero, Prey, Gears of War, Unreal Tournament 2k7, Crackdown, Rainbow 6 Vegas, Halo 3, Lost Planet, oh god...its enough to make any good shooter fan have a heart attack.

That, or, get a Wii when it comes out this fall. Only one shooter coming out for it at the moment, Red Steel, but, once people find out how cool its going to be to actually aim the gun on the TV with the Wii-mote, lots of shooters will port over. Its going to be very nice. Less than $250 too.

...especially those llamas that associate with asssfruit, I mean, bananas.
komodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 09:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lord humungus the Mod

Send a message via AIM to kidneythief

I bought a 360 premium and havent looked back since.

If you arent that serious of a gamer then you may want to wait a couple months for the Nintendo Wii($200-250). Also if you havent checked into the next gen consoles you may want to read up.

-Jake

"I wish simply to be a decent person, yet I will always fear the retards" -Brian Hindt(geech)

MCB Moderator

Kidney Machine
kidneythief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 09:44 AM   #9 (permalink)
Blue - Red

CCM Fan
These are all GREAT responses. Thanks for taking the time to post them.

I think the 360 makes the most sense (because I can grow if I want to). How much should I expect to pay for it?

Thanks again,

TF

TF's MCB Trust.
Talfuchre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 10:31 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lord humungus the Mod

Send a message via AIM to kidneythief

$400 for a premium system and $300 for the core system. Thats retail so any cheaper is a plus.

-Jake

"I wish simply to be a decent person, yet I will always fear the retards" -Brian Hindt(geech)

MCB Moderator

Kidney Machine
kidneythief is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat