mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 09-20-2012, 12:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
Mod/mod

Fan of EMR
Curious why you are calling your M1 Carbine an "Inland/GM" carbine. Are you going by the barrel marking?

FYI: Inland was the largest of ten total manufacturers of the U.S. .30 Cal. M1 Carbine. General Motors (more specifically Saginaw Steering and Gear) did manufacture carbine receivers too (Saginaw marked) but only for a brief period making certain versions among the rarest carbines.

Also, GM itself also made barrels for general issue to other carbine manufacturers and these were all marked with the words "General Motors" as well as a date of manufacture.

It also looks as if your carbine has been through an arsenal rebuild, on account of the bayonet lug and the adjustable sight. Sometimes the stock will bear evidence of which arsenal did the work. Check also for "reimport" marks as most of the carbines floating around today came BACK to the country from places like Korea, Viet Nam and Germany in the late 80's, early 90's

Great collection

D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painthappy View Post
I still don't get that.
Drum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:39 PM   #12 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Enhander

I never thought to look more in to the markings on it. The barrel is marked Inland Arms/Gen. Motors. Ill have to look at the rest of it when i get home.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:03 PM   #13 (permalink)
Inch of Gold

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
PBN Fan
Yeah, M1s are awesome like that...almost every freaking part is marked..like the early Mausers where they serialized every screw head.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:32 PM   #14 (permalink)
Mod/mod

Fan of EMR
The carbine is a bit of a wonder with a wild history. The reason that every part is marked is because the carbine was one of the very first almost totally sub-contracted procurement in military history.

Many many many machine shops, small and large, were tasked with producing one of the 45-ish parts of the carbine and the government wanted each part stamped with the origin and destination so that any sub-standard part makers could be quickly identified and removed from the procurement stream.

I used to purchase carbines by the armload from surplus arms sellers in the late 80's. Each one was like cracking open a pack of baseball cards from the 40's. A rare Rock-Ola trigger here, or an IBM made stock there, I would cherry pick the best bits and either restore the gun to "factory correct" or build it back up and sell it as a "shooter".

Those were the days... would buy them for anywhere from $175-$250 and then often flip them for $300 or so, after removing all of the high dollar "rare" parts and replacing them with unmarked parts. The so-called factory restored guns would often fetch closer to a grand, depending upon the rarity.

At the height of my insanity, I had one from each of the ten manufacturers in my private collection and was buying/selling 5-6 of them a month, phone combing all the "local" gun shops and trolling every gun show. Half the stores had me on speed dial to call whenever they got any in.

Alas, the AR excitement of the pre-Y2k years saw me parlaying a lot of my carbine "wealth" into cheap AR's that I was then flipping to my accountant/lawyer buddies for top dollar in the run up to the "chaos" of the new millenium.
Still have a couple of carbines though. A really clean Inland that I shoot and my favorite... a completely original IBM/AO that was given the German Rural Police at the end of WW2. I love that that one can be placed to a time and a place in a way none of the others could be. Probably sitting on about 10k .30 cal carbine rounds too.

Fun fact: The only piece of durable military equipment made in greater numbers during WW2 than the m1 carbine was the ubiquitous M1 steel helmet. Over 6 million carbines were made between 1943-45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painthappy View Post
I still don't get that.
Drum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:42 PM   #15 (permalink)
Post Whore

Most Recent Purchase. Mosin Nagant PU Sniper Rifle. Near Matching serials with original scope.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:37 PM   #16 (permalink)
Post Whore

I would be happy with just the 45, I love 1911's
ilivlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:19 PM   #17 (permalink)
Post Whore

Yeah, the 1911 is my favorite pistol, hands down.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:26 PM   #18 (permalink)
Post Whore

How much does a decent one cost?
ilivlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:30 PM   #19 (permalink)
Post Whore

To be honest, the one I have in the pic is a Rock Island Armory. Most would consider that brand of 1911 to be low end. Not I. Ive ran over 10,000 rounds of ammo through it. Mix of High end ammo, reloads and steel case Russian surplus. I think out of all of that Ive only had 10 jams (because of the ammo, not the gun). That 1911 has been through everything with me, hence I have named her Sophia. The only thing I have had to replace is the slide lock, which was a $6 replacement part.

When I bought it a few years back I paid $475 for it new. I think their GI model is around that price and their tactical model is $500-525. They make an excellent pistol, regardless of what anyone says.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:54 AM   #20 (permalink)
www.Axial-Photography.com

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Love the collection man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainman View Post
id let her do things to my backside
chopper duke is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat