mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Post Whore

critical mass

KC Critical Mass Bike Ride - A fun ride through Kansas City
I was thinking about partipating in one just to have something to do and try something new. I've read a lot about them and mostly negative from the motorists, pedestrian and cyclist's point of view so I am a bit iffy. It does seem to vary from city to city and I am hoping KC has a tamer crowd. Does anyone have any experience with this? Have you seen it done responcibly? I'd love to get out and ride safely around the city but I am not looking to go out and piss off strangers.

If loud pipes save lives imagine what bright pink helmets could do.

my feedback http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
K_Obeastly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

well, the more I look the more it looks like it will not be for me. I'll probably go anyway but really expect to be disgusted by the behavior to the point I turn around and go home.

If loud pipes save lives imagine what bright pink helmets could do.

my feedback http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
K_Obeastly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to martix_agent

I came to that conclusion myself. We have a promotion thing for it on a board at work and it disgusts me. It seems that even the people commenting in your link are confused as to what it's supposed to be.

it starts off by saying "take back your public space! we'll all move as a big group and block traffic so it's safe to ride/do as you please." bikers/walkers..etc all have public space called the sidewalk and single file lines down the side of the road. There's no need to be *******s about it and attempt to block off entire roads in order to express some sort of freedom. I'm slightly shocked local authorities don't shut these down.

Last edited by martix_agent; 09-24-2012 at 06:35 AM.
martix_agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Buying Bankruptcy Kits

They do this a lot in San Diego. The majority of the cyclists are quite nice and do it responsibly. But as with any group, there are a few of them that are jerks and ride with the group to cause trouble. In the San Diego critical mass it's that small group leading the front.

I say join the group local police monitor the activity out here. Trouble makers are dealt with. It's an interesting reason to clog the street, but there hasn't been any history of injury/collision. San Diego drivers (I think) are terrible. But cyclists are given lots of space and respect here.
Donut SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

I personally feel that critical mass in Vancouver has outlived its usefulness. We've got a ton of infrastructure planned, and a bike-friendly mayor and council, so the only thing the protest does is make it harder for said council to push pro-bike projects through without being hounded by pissed off voters.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

Wonder if they ever get cited for impeding traffic.
PBRevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
Buying Bankruptcy Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBRevolution View Post
Wonder if they ever get cited for impeding traffic.
I personally watched a citation get issued. One cyclist felt he could run a red light. An officer was telling him to stop at the light. The cyclist tried to go around him and the officer grabbed the frame of the bike, the guy nearly fell off. After an exchange of profanity the officer said he was to stop at the light. The guy said "why" the officer replied "I told you to stop and you didn't, people are crossing this crosswalk and you're endangering them by not doing that, and if you wanna roll in the street and be treated like a vehicle, you are bound by the same rules."

I thought it was a clever response on the part of the officer but I didn't think it warranted a citation in the end. I have no idea what kinda ticket that would be, a pedestrian cite? He was given ample time and the officer had communicated to stop. Maybe a "failure to comply". I'm no wiz at tickets...
Donut SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
random probability waves

Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut SD View Post
...The guy said "why" the officer replied "I told you to stop and you didn't, people are crossing this crosswalk and you're endangering them by not doing that, and if you wanna roll in the street and be treated like a vehicle, you are bound by the same rules."

this is my beef - just a few self righteous crusading, or just plain dumb, bicyclists can ruin so much. I'd buy that cop a beer.
TANSTAAFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteekay
I agree with Don.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy
don is on the path to everlasting coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by DashHopes
OMG boobs, beers and Chad Thompson. Nothing could be better.
Bored383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
pk5
Stardust Memory

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
RTP Fan
Donut: go find the article about critical mass injuring pedestrian at Belmont Park. Critical mass in SD is nothing short of mob rules (just go to downtown when they are doing their ride), they have no respect for pedestrian or other vehicles what so ever.
pk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut SD View Post
I personally watched a citation get issued. One cyclist felt he could run a red light. An officer was telling him to stop at the light. The cyclist tried to go around him and the officer grabbed the frame of the bike, the guy nearly fell off. After an exchange of profanity the officer said he was to stop at the light. The guy said "why" the officer replied "I told you to stop and you didn't, people are crossing this crosswalk and you're endangering them by not doing that, and if you wanna roll in the street and be treated like a vehicle, you are bound by the same rules."

I thought it was a clever response on the part of the officer but I didn't think it warranted a citation in the end. I have no idea what kinda ticket that would be, a pedestrian cite? He was given ample time and the officer had communicated to stop. Maybe a "failure to comply". I'm no wiz at tickets...
Around campus at the U of A police will cite cyclists who are riding on the street for violating traffic laws. Stop signs are the common one, as the bikes will go right past them. I'm glad it happens. On campus pedestrians rarely look before crossing, they just go. Bikes do the same thing but because they move quite a bit faster they are much more difficult to react to. Peds aren't in the clear, but they travel in herds and cross as one constant flow at times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar View Post
I really like the picture posts, because I don't understand most of the word posts.
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat