mcarterbrown.com

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Doesn't care (/◕ヮ◕)/

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
What's a good "modable" vehicle.

I'm currently in a search for a vehicle to do a bit of toying around with, bit of a mix of engine work and body work to kinda kill some time this winter.

My first idea was the whole find a honda civic to mess around with, but finding one of those around here for less than 3k dollars would be a miracle, everyone seems to think that hotrodding them out is adding a cold air intake and putting a set of rims and selling a 95 civic for 5k dollars, i'm not paying that.

So i'm giving up and looking into anything, truck, car or otherwise, what's some good options to look for that have room for improvement looks and preformance wise (large aftermarket selection).
A 4 cylinder standard shift would be the fun option, since i'm trying to get away from the 13mpg that my truck gets.

I don't always play pump, but when I do, I prefer a rotor.....stay agg my friends.
JLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rec Poster

How much are you looking to spend?
Old 11-01-2012, 01:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Happy and homeless

Send a message via MSN to sparky Send a message via Skype™ to sparky

I first was going to say a Civic, but what about doing a Jeep? The sky is the limit with those things as well.....

Next choice would be a Toyota Echo. I've never seen somebody mod one of those up yet
Vagabond living on the side of the road in East Asia.
sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Mustang 5.0

Are there more accessories offered for any other vehicle?

Its kind of a 4 cylinder (twice)

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Bruins World Order

AKA Fan
Wrangler ftw

You also have the Dodge Neon, Sunfire, Cavalier, etc. but none are good base cars to begin with so idk if spending the money modding them is worth it.

There's the Chevy S10, I see a lot done with those as well as basically ANY pickup.

Beyond that nothing cheap comes to mind. JDM holds value well cause people are willing to pay those seemingly outrageous prices.
Seconded. Hence forth this is to be the official nomenclature of marker sales. Violators will be violated.
StJimmy666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Doesn't care (/◕ヮ◕)/

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Trying to spend 3k or less, preferably less. Mostly looking for something older than a 00 model to keep the price down. I was looking hard into the mustang idea but the only problem is the older v6's go for fairly cheap, under 3k, but the v8's go for close to 5k dollars for the older ones.

Part of the reason for getting a car to mess around with was to find a smaller 4cylinder to play around with and save a bit of gas, so getting a v8 mustang would kinda defeat that purpose, though would still be fun to drive.

Also that less than 3k is for a "project" car, something that needs a slight bit of work from the get go. Anything that is running and ready to drive away i'd do a bit more for aka mustang.

I don't always play pump, but when I do, I prefer a rotor.....stay agg my friends.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
AKA Doughnut Holeschtein

i've heard dodge neons are easy mods
OldGadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:37 PM   #8 (permalink)

AKA Fan
You could do a lot with an old VW bug.

Maybe a 90's Eclipse?
It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Millar156 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Doesn't care (/◕ヮ◕)/

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millar156 View Post
You could do a lot with an old VW bug.

Maybe a 90's Eclipse?
Bugs scare me, and are also currently an arm and a leg around here.

An eclipse was one idea, just not famillar with mitubishi cars.

Old 11-01-2012, 01:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
Bruins World Order

AKA Fan
If you can snag an Eclipse they can be tuned and modded up to be ungodly fast for relatively little...Mitsus are known for that.

My (2010) Mitsu put out 152bhp stock, I have it at about 177whp without dropping in a turbo (don't think the car could handle it without extensive upgrades).

My buddy's 04? Eclipse puts out over 581whp on the dyno.

Mind you if you don't need a running car then you can look at the full gambit of tuner cars...Supras, RX7s, Evos, Silvias, Skylines etc. can all be had with engine problems for relatively little if you look hard enough. I almost got a Supra in Michigan for under 5k.
Seconded. Hence forth this is to be the official nomenclature of marker sales. Violators will be violated.
StJimmy666 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat