mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:34 PM   #11 (permalink)
Lightly seasoned

Palmers Fan
Oil heat, house doesn't look it's had much done to it all - couldn't believe the orange carpeting in the one room.

Two bedrooms are kind of a hard sell, to me. Unless you're a bachelor and plan to stay that way.

I've lived in too many OLD houses, and one was from that era, to want to get into another one. The property is big, but I don't see power going to any of the outbuildings, so you're going to be faced with that too, if you want to be able to use them for more than a few hours a day.
And God turned to Gabriel and said: “I shall create a land called Canada of outstanding natural beauty, with majestic mountains soaring with eagles, sparkling lakes abundant with bass and trout, forests full of elk and moose, and rivers stocked with salmon. I shall make the land rich in oil so the inhabitants prosper and call them Canadians, and they shall be praised as the friendliest of all people.”

“But Lord,” asked Gabriel, “Is this not too generous to these Canadians?”

And God replied, “Just wait and see the neighbors I shall inflict upon them.”
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
C'mon Man!

Send a message via AIM to subyrally

the camera angles are bad and the pics are low res. the out buildings do have power. the power line runs from the house to a light post over the driveway and then down to the garage, it splits off from there.

from looking at the house this afternoon, it looks like the house itself is on the level, but the area is halfway up the mountain, so its a bit of a rolling terrain in the neighborhood. looks worse in the photos. but the higher part of the property is in the back. so it does look a bit like that might be an issue, but ill have to take a closer look.

i actually just got a reply from the realtor. she sent me a data sheet for the property. i am looking it over. there is a lot more info that what was in the listing. when we talk tomorrow, i will bring up a lot of the concerns i have with what i have seen of the exterior.

also, from what i was able to see through the windows and the pictures online, it looks like the house was updated in the 70s and then again in the last 15-20 years. the only room i could see from outside was the kitchen, it looked like it had modern appliances and electronics. but the pictures of the bathroom scare me. first, who carpets a bathroom. also, no shower, ill have to do something about that, lol.

ill update tomorrow once i talk with the realtor.
subyrally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by subyrally View Post
but the pictures of the bathroom scare me. first, who carpets a bathroom. also, no shower, ill have to do something about that, lol.
parent's house came new with carpet in all the bathrooms..... i thought the same thing.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:36 PM   #14 (permalink)
C'mon Man!

the data sheet lists one of the rooms in the house as a workshop. also lists one of the out buildings as a shop, hoping it is a machine shop. id buy the house just for that, lol
Old 11-25-2012, 10:53 PM   #15 (permalink)
Post Whore

From the photos it does look like most of the tilt is due to bad camera work and poor perspective control. (There is a reason why professional architectural photographers often have gear that can cost thousands over what other quality photographers would invest in.) But more than likely the house has a bit of a tilt to it. Not unusual for a building of that age. You try standing up straight when you're that old.

If your inspector shows up with decent looking clothes on, and doesn't have a pair of coveralls draped over his arm, tell him to go away. Inspecting a home is hard, dirty, and annoying work, especially for a building of that age. If it isn't, then you're obviously leaving a lot of stuff untouched. Step ladder and extension ladder at minimum, large flashlight, and a good clipboard with lots of paper. A good camera with an external flash is also a great bonus.

Good luck. Potentially looks like a lovely spot.
Luckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:58 PM   #16 (permalink)
C'mon Man!

on a side note, it looks like the house was previously occupied by an elderly couple. there was a wheel chair and a bunch of medical fixtures i could see in one of the sheds and the data sheet mentioned something about a chair lift. i just hope that no one died in the house, could be a downer...
Old 11-25-2012, 10:59 PM   #17 (permalink)
C'mon Man!

i need to get Mike Holmes to inspect it, lol. that would be epic
Old 11-25-2012, 11:01 PM   #18 (permalink)
Brass Monkey Customs

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Have someone look over the main roof, carefully. It looks to be a tin/steel roof, which is good in my opinion, but there seem to be issues near the peak.

I agree with the "carpet a bathroom" comments... If the house is that old, there are likely to be hardwood floors under all that carpet. Might be worth investigating.

As to oil heat... It looks to be forced air, and therefore you need to be there with the heat running. If the place smells like diesel fuel, and you can't stand the smell, you are in for, at the very least, a furnace tune up... At the worst, a new furnace.

As for electric, check the house and shop main breakers. The house could get away with a 100 amp service, but that may cause issues if you like high current draw items, like electric heaters. The shops need 100 amps for running machinery, minimum. Make sure you have 220 volts available. Upgrading electrical service is not cheap, so keep that in mind.

Look over the plumbing, if you can. If the water supply lines are iron, you will have trouble with them. It is only a matter of time. (Ended up replacing all the iron pipe in an exgfs house because the stuff was rusting to pieces) Make sure there is a primary shut off, in a location where you can access it, in case bad things happen. Check to see if the pipes run in unheated areas of the house... crawlspace, attic, etc. (My house has the water service coming in from an unheated area, and the pipes all run through the attic... Everytime is freezes, we have to leave the water running, or the service freezes until spring :/ )

If there is a basement, look for water damage. Ask about flooding. Look for sump pumps. If you can look at the house twice, go one day when it is dry, and a second when it is raining.

BTW, this place is only about an hour and a half from me. I might be able to locate you some inexpensive machinery

Ty

Brass Monkey Customs

Brass Freak compatible and Equation inserts in .665, .670, .675, .678, .680 and .685

Still selling brass tubing, with .678 barrel stock now available!

My feedback: MCB - eBay - AO
tymcneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:51 PM   #19 (permalink)
C'mon Man!

Ty, i thought you were in baltimore, that should only be about an hour from frederick, lol. Gotta see what is in the shops first, who knows, might still be loaded with tools and such. The doors are all locked and there are pad locks on all of the doors. The one shed with the blinds open was full of "stuff".

It would be awesome if i get the place though, ill definitely have a house warming cookout if you want to come out for it. I make some awesome chicken and steaks on the grill. Aw man, now i want to cook out when i should be going to sleep, lol.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:36 AM   #20 (permalink)
Brass Monkey Customs

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
According to Google Maps... the trip from 21702 to 21214 is 63 miles/ 1 hour 20 minutes. :/

Not too far out of the way.

As to "stuff" in the out buildings... Sounds like a great spring time clean out/yard sale/rummage/donate to Goodwill/recycling run/dump run weekend.

A house warming cook out sounds great! If you pick the right weekend, I bet you could have Stuffy, and a few more "local" MCBers show up...

Is there enough land for a paintball game? (I think I read 26,972 square feet of land which is around .61 acres, but I might be wrong)

Ty

Brass Monkey Customs

Brass Freak compatible and Equation inserts in .665, .670, .675, .678, .680 and .685

Still selling brass tubing, with .678 barrel stock now available!

My feedback: MCB - eBay - AO
tymcneer is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat