mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:54 AM   #21 (permalink)
C'mon Man!

Send a message via AIM to subyrally

I doubt there would be room for a proper game. Plenty of room for target shooting though, nothing but woods straight back. Just not really into the idea of running around too much back there since my neighbor is an archery club, lol.

Ill have to see what was left in the buildings, i am thinking that some of the stuff i have seen, so far, would work nicely in the building of a tank, lol.

Ill let you know about cooking out, might be after xmas if i get the house, if i dont, ill just cook out here at my mom's, lol.
subyrally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:58 AM   #22 (permalink)
no, I'M sorry

is it haunted?

because this informational scan strangely references your house's time period for demonstration purposes...

pile of poo, HARD MODE, automag pistol---S.P.E.W.II---What if this hurts me?---No, I'M sorry.---Semiautomatic Nelspot 007!---Decay of Nations 4
Camp Pendleton meetup 2010---Watch me fail at pump!---Clareball 2010 vid!---MCB Stock Class Meet!---HELMETCAM!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcandy1993 View Post
Before the first day Velcor said let there be Heinous and it was true. And then Heinous said "Let there be God" and it was true. And it was good

Last edited by heinous; 11-26-2012 at 08:09 AM.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:07 AM   #23 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Quote:
Originally Posted by subyrally View Post
i just hope that no one died in the house, could be a downer...
Just out of curiosity. In the later half of the 1800's and early 1900's where do you think people died?
"Do not overcome by the evil, but overcome, in the good, the evil" - Romans 12:21 - Young's Literal Translation

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:28 AM   #24 (permalink)
Memento mori.

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
I don't know if this was mentioned, but I noticed the oil tank. Be onthe lookout for abandoned tanks in the ground, and oil spots under the tank that is there. I recently had to turn down purchasing a house with an old oil tank abandoned on the property that the current owner refused to remove. I have heard way too many stories of $50K+++ bills for remediation of oil spills.
Finnigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:29 AM   #25 (permalink)
ton up boy

We had some TNT in the attic and a soviet mortar grenade in the outside storage when we bought our house. (Built in -25, remodeled in -45) Something to remember when cleaning up old houses.

(Around here itīs common to have grenades etc., cause soldiers coming from the front brought those back as souvenirs. )

Not likely in the states when they came back on boats.
But a lot of other scary/poisonous/dangerous stuff in old storages. Always take your time and wear respirator if needed.

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
baader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:36 AM   #26 (permalink)
MCB Member

Always remember that water runs downhill. If at any part of your property your house is below a nearby hill/slope water will run under/through it. It will cause damage.
Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:10 AM   #27 (permalink)
C'mon Man!

i dont mind hauntings as long as the ghosts are peaceful.

looking at the public records on the house, what is listed online and on the data sheet, it looks like this house has been under the same ownership for a long time, that or they didnt keep records of sales until recently.

one of the first things i will be inspecting is the foundation and basement as well as where the driveway meets the back of the house and how they have it so that water doesnt get into the foundation.

the next major thing will be electrical, followed by the roof and then plumbing.

at the moment, the basement is just a cellar with only exterior access via a storm cellar type door. i wonder if it would be worth my time and effort to make it into usable space and add access to the rest of the house... gotta see what it looks like in there first, bringing work gloves, knee pads, a bright light, and something to smash spiders with, lol.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:35 AM   #28 (permalink)
Phantom Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by subyrally View Post
at the moment, the basement is just a cellar with only exterior access via a storm cellar type door. i wonder if it would be worth my time and effort to make it into usable space and add access to the rest of the house... gotta see what it looks like in there first, bringing work gloves, knee pads, a bright light, and something to smash spiders with, lol.
Look carefully for efflorescence - removing anything up against the exteriors walls in the cellar.

Good indicator that there may be water issues. I speak from bitter experience.
Feedback
BoBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:17 PM   #29 (permalink)
C'mon Man!

good call. i will make sure to do that when i get with the realtor this week/weekend.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:29 PM   #30 (permalink)
C'mon Man!

Well, i got to get a good look around the house, the owner was there working on it this weekend. He had removed the chair lift, paneling in the master bed room and just about everything in the bathroom. It will need a roof, i kinda figured on that though, it will give me an opportunity to expand the 2nd floor out to the rear. The position of the tub is in a location where one would have to bend over to stand in it.

The furnace is fairly new (within the last 10 years)and seems to work rather well. The kitchen is large but the ceilings on the 1st floor are low, very low, which means that the cabinets are about 10" over the counter tops, lol. I can stand up in the living room, but my head will hit the ceiling if i try, without standing on toes. Id say its a 6' ceiling. The floor in the master bedroom would need to be redone, it flexes quite a lot and is a bit sketchy at best, which would give the opportunity to raise the ceiling in the living room.

The cellar was actually nice, concrete floors with cinder block walls. The was some signs of flooding, looked like water got to about 6" deep. There is a sump pump in there though, which is probably why it is dry. The finished part is about 12'-15' deep and there is a "door way" leading to where they dug under the house to run ducting for the hvac under the floor. I would like to finish digging it out to the other side of the house, finish it like the rest of the cellar and then put in access to the house so that i wouldnt have to go outside to get down there.

The out buildings were nice. All have electric. The garage is set up like a wood shop right now, it seems that the guy that lived there used to restore steamer trunks before he passed away. The garage has a/c and oil/kerosene heat. I would also like to add onto the garage, making it an "L" shaped building so that i would have room to pull a car in from the driveway and the original area would be where i would be able to work on things or build engines, etc..

The property is larger than it looks, from what the guy was telling me, the property line is at the tree line, but it goes a lot farther down the road than i thought. Aka, i would need a riding mower, lol.

I really like the property, it will need a lot of work, but i can see the potential in it and if i take it one step at a time, it really wont be too hard to get done up nice. Now i am just waiting on word back from the mortgage guy to see if i will be able to even get financing on the house before i make any kind of offer. It might be in worse shape than they are willing to risk financing.....

Wish me luck, lol.

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat