mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 12-23-2012, 11:57 AM   #21 (permalink)
MCB Member

I actually have a subcompact p250 in my pocket right now! I bought one of the 2Sum kits a while back and its not a bad deal. Use the full size parts for range time and home defense and swap the firing mechanism over to the subcompact for carry use when you are ready. Its nice to get range time on the full size and still have the same feel in your carry gun too. The mags for the full size fit in the sub too so you only need to buy the 17 round ones(9mm) for all. If you want it in another caliber or size you can get a kit that has everything you need but I have never bothered. Use top quality defense ammo and 9mm will do a fine job.

I don't know if $500 is a good price for it, I bought mine when they were a bit more expensive and haven't kept up on it since. If you have access to a range that does rentals I would suggest you go there and get some hands on time if possible before making a decision.
Finished before you can commit a crime
DarkNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:24 PM   #22 (permalink)

My biggest recommendation is that you don't limit yourself on a brand or in this case 3. Go really try out as many as possible and see which one you are more comfortable shooting with. I used to carry an SR9 because It fits me better where (and this is no ****) my wife carries a full size 1911 and she is a tiny person.

I liked the SR9 a lot because it was very compact for a 17+1 gun and very reliable. My wife likes the 1911 because the slim grip, its heavy nose and a .45 has less kick. She had to open carry most of the time unless she wore a jacket.

I wish the Ruger came in .45 though. Like stated before .45 is a perfect round for home defense.
MR_Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:49 PM   #23 (permalink)
Photo Guru

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
I don't know much about guns 'cause they're bad and evil and all that stuff. I don't have ANY guns.

But if you're going to carry one, carry the biggest caliber you can shoot comfortably. Also, each gun is going to have different ergonomics so what works for me, may not work for you. Hold as many as you can and SHOOT as many as you can. If you have a gun store with an indoor range, try and test out as many as possible. If I liked guns, I would possibly like the HK guns, or maybe the Sig guns. I've heard those are good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
chopper duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:52 PM   #24 (permalink)

HK guns are hyped too much. For a gun that cost that much, I would expect not to be limited on the type of ammo you can shoot through it. I love my Sigs though.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:58 PM   #25 (permalink)
Remembers 1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bear27 View Post
Looking to pick up a new toy... got it down to 3. XD-S 45mm, CZ P-07 9mm, and the Ruger SR9 or 9c. What should I go with and why.
Buy the one that fits your hand the best. If you're unable to establish a consistent, comfortable, repeatable grip, then the other fundamentals of stance, sight alignment, breathing, trigger break, follow through and tempo are compromised. It all starts with the grip.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:26 PM   #26 (permalink)
Photo Guru

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_Rick View Post
HK guns are hyped too much. For a gun that cost that much, I would expect not to be limited on the type of ammo you can shoot through it. I love my Sigs though.
There is so much wrong with this. That's like saying a Mercedes is over hyped. And the only HK I've ever seen NOT eat just anything was a Model 4 with the .22 barrel. It didn't like old, waxy bullets. HKs are on another plane than most handguns. I was being sarcastic when I said I didn't know anything about guns. I've shot a lot of various types of guns including pretty much all major brands. I prefer H&K. Here's a sampling. I'm pretty sure it's not complete:

Handguns

Long guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
chopper duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:33 PM   #27 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I love CZs, so there's my vote.

But I have played around with the XD 9mm a bit, and it's a nice handgun. I just don't like the look. Thing looks like a tank, but that's not what I want in a pistol

I'm also okay with the sr9 but I've only handled it at the shop, don't know how it shoots.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:35 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
There is so much wrong with this. That's like saying a Mercedes is over hyped. And the only HK I've ever seen NOT eat just anything was a Model 4 with the .22 barrel. It didn't like old, waxy bullets. HKs are on another plane than most handguns. I was being sarcastic when I said I didn't know anything about guns. I've shot a lot of various types of guns including pretty much all major brands. I prefer H&K. Here's a sampling. I'm pretty sure it's not complete:

Yes they shoot nice, but they are not God gift to earth as they make them be. I own a P2000 and it is a good built gun, don't get me wrong but I don't consider it superior to my old SR9 or Sigs. **** I hate "Blocks" but I think they are in the same level as my Sig P250.

My father in law injured his index finger where he almost lost it while shooting his HK45, because he didn't read section 4 of the owners manual where it Notes that the use of P+ or +P+ ammo is not recommended.

And yes Mercedes are Over hyped too. Their interiors are a bit blah but a AMG C63 would make me over look that aspect .

Oh and I get to play with H&K good stuff at work once in a while...US Navy SAMI for 17 years.

Last edited by MR_Rick; 12-23-2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:07 PM   #29 (permalink)

There are about 5 major manufacturers I would recommend.

First is H&K. Good guns, feed just about anything. Tad expensive.
Second is FN. Good guns, feed just about anything. Also a tad expensive. (I daily carry a FiveseveN)
Third is Sig Sauer. Good guns, Feed just about anything. Price is decent.
Fourth is Desert Eagle. Particularly the Baby Eagle (I have owned both types) Good gun, feeds just about everything. Decent price.
Fifth is Glock. Personally I dislike this firearm because of the requirement to pull the trigger to disassemble it and the lack of a non trigger safety. Still they seem to feed just about anything.
CZ I hear good things about as well but have never dealt with one.
wetwrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:19 PM   #30 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

thanks guys lots of good info here!

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat