mcarterbrown.com

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:59 PM   #21 (permalink)
MCB Member

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Palmers Fan
You want a uncool cop and headlight story?
A few years ago the whole family was in the car dinner and stop at Walmart we got just a few things two bags. Main reason left front headlight in wife's car, is out. the family car the one she drives. It's winter, but not a bad night. We come out of the store the wife's like you going to change the bulb? Me, no I have three stall garage with lights why would I change it in a parking lot? We live In the country but only like 5 miles away, turning into the village a mile from the house we see berries and cherries pulling us over. Cop: do you know why I pulled you over? Wife: no officer. Cop: your headlights out. Me: no problem officer we just left the store and I have the new headlight right here, I pulled it out the bag and showed it to him.
Cop: that's nice, here's your ticket!
paintslinger16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:19 PM   #22 (permalink)
I like Guns and Cigars.

To serve and collect

Otter Customs Paintball - - - - Straight Up Cigars - - - - My Feedback
maggot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:56 PM   #23 (permalink)
Bitter Young Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLuke View Post

I've lost count of how many times i've gotten pulled over or told by other people that i have a headlight out on my motorcycle.
It's a 05 kawasaki 636, one light is low beams and the other is high beams, normal driving only puts one light on.
I feel your pain! That's why I started riding with my high beams on all the time, both for more visibility, and because people don't understand!
HyePower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:51 AM   #24 (permalink)
Lost the Daylight

Send a message via ICQ to Listessa Send a message via AIM to Listessa Send a message via MSN to Listessa Send a message via Yahoo to Listessa

Quote:
Originally Posted by idkfa View Post
I bought the model with the Skyactiv engine if that matters, seems to make a noticeable difference. Very fun car to drive!
How's it treating you? Is the mileage as good as they say? Any strange electronic issues?

I wanted one, but the last year's models didn't come in red with the good Skyactiv package. (only the regular set up that didn't get the super high MPG). They only had really boring icky colors in Skyactiv available up here too. It was disappointing. The light blue was ok, but I don't like the light interior- gets dirty too fast. I think red ones are out now, but I'm not sure if I want to swap mine in since my landlord will just ding it to hell with his car's door. I would like that nearly 40MPG though. Those direct inject engines are slick as anything- my guy has one of the Ecoboost F-150s and it's amazing for a truck like that. Not bad power-wise either.

As for headlights- I have an 04 Mazda 3 hatchback. HATE changing those freekin' blubs. That little metal clip does not like locking in after the bulb.

When you replaced the bulb, you used gloves and wiped it down, right? Those stupid things like to blow from just the slightest bit of oil on them. Back in December of 2010 I had a headlight go out, so I bought some of the brighter ones. They are great for dark areas with ditches hiding big furry things.

The downside- I got maybe 3 months out of those things. So I put a set of the cheepie Napas in. One went out a few months later when I drove down to Anchorage. Crap. Fortunately I had a second set of cheepie Napas in my glove box. Finally that fall I had one go out again, I cleaned the connections with rubbing alcohol before installing the new one.

Since replacing that last one they have been fine. I do admit HATING headlight replacement.

Facilis est Descensus Averni.
<--Click to descend to my feedback.
NO'MAAM #2"National Organization Members Against AGG Metrosexuals" Rouge Cell #3
Listessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:09 PM   #25 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
When I hit a deer last April I had to replace my headlights, I decided to try Phillips instead of my normal Sylvania's, big mistake. The Phillips started dimming out on me in less 3 months. They offer ZERO in the way of warranty on their bulbs. I replaced those garbage bulbs with some nice Silver Star Sylvania's which carry a ONE YEAR warranty. Don't know if I got a bad bulb or what but I refuse to put Phillips bulbs back in my truck unless I absolutely have no other option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmartin View Post
i think you will be fine. Fed Ex was always good to me until my wifes dog bit the driver. they usually don't avoid you unless they have a reason.
p8ntninja is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:11 PM   #26 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintslinger16 View Post
You want a uncool cop and headlight story?
A few years ago the whole family was in the car dinner and stop at Walmart we got just a few things two bags. Main reason left front headlight in wife's car, is out. the family car the one she drives. It's winter, but not a bad night. We come out of the store the wife's like you going to change the bulb? Me, no I have three stall garage with lights why would I change it in a parking lot? We live In the country but only like 5 miles away, turning into the village a mile from the house we see berries and cherries pulling us over. Cop: do you know why I pulled you over? Wife: no officer. Cop: your headlights out. Me: no problem officer we just left the store and I have the new headlight right here, I pulled it out the bag and showed it to him.
Cop: that's nice, here's your ticket!
Around here that's a 'fix it ticket', fix the problem, get it signed off, turn it in, no fee's. This cop just sounded like he was having a rough night and took it out on you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmartin View Post
i think you will be fine. Fed Ex was always good to me until my wifes dog bit the driver. they usually don't avoid you unless they have a reason.
p8ntninja is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:39 PM   #27 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Send a message via AIM to Greenmtnphantom Send a message via MSN to Greenmtnphantom

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listessa View Post
As for headlights- I have an 04 Mazda 3 hatchback. HATE changing those freekin' blubs. That little metal clip does not like locking in after the bulb.
And they give you so much room to work in.
I don't so much make money, as provide a conduit for it's movement.
Stock class = 12grams and a stick feed. End discussion.
Greenmtnphantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:41 PM   #28 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listessa View Post
How's it treating you? Is the mileage as good as they say? Any strange electronic issues?

I wanted one, but the last year's models didn't come in red with the good Skyactiv package. (only the regular set up that didn't get the super high MPG). They only had really boring icky colors in Skyactiv available up here too. It was disappointing. The light blue was ok, but I don't like the light interior- gets dirty too fast. I think red ones are out now, but I'm not sure if I want to swap mine in since my landlord will just ding it to hell with his car's door. I would like that nearly 40MPG though. Those direct inject engines are slick as anything- my guy has one of the Ecoboost F-150s and it's amazing for a truck like that. Not bad power-wise either.

When you replaced the bulb, you used gloves and wiped it down, right? Those stupid things like to blow from just the slightest bit of oil on them. Back in December of 2010 I had a headlight go out, so I bought some of the brighter ones. They are great for dark areas with ditches hiding big furry things.

The downside- I got maybe 3 months out of those things. So I put a set of the cheepie Napas in. One went out a few months later when I drove down to Anchorage. Crap. Fortunately I had a second set of cheepie Napas in my glove box. Finally that fall I had one go out again, I cleaned the connections with rubbing alcohol before installing the new one.

Since replacing that last one they have been fine. I do admit HATING headlight replacement.
Kind of sort of. It depends heavily on driving style and conditions, like anything.

I just filled up for the first time since the full tank at the dealership and my first tank average was 23 mpg, which is awful given the claims from Mazda. However, I am driving 7 miles each way to work in pretty heavy rush hour traffic and having to stop at every intersection so calling it 'City' driving is probably inaccurate. It's more like a fast parking lot.

I do have hope though. My first 1/4 tank of gas was not during rush hour but still burning around town. I drove 100+ miles on 1/4 tank (about 28-30 mpg). Then I started going to work... it took me the next 1/2 tank to drive the same 100-125 miles. My girlfriend's step-dad has the same car as mine and doing mostly highway driving and getting almost 600 miles per 14.5 gal tank. He has been driving his car for a few months now so it should be broken in better than mine. And to be honest, I was having fun with my new car so I was driving rather aggressively.

I will say that it is an incredibly fun car to drive. The 6spd is very responsive and the car hugs the road well. With some options and the leather package it feels way nicer than the class it is in. The Sky engine is pretty loud from a cold start though, it takes 5-10 seconds or so for it to quiet down. The Turanza tires that come stock are not great either, there is a little too much road noise at speed. I will probably get a new set soon.

Last edited by idkfa; 01-13-2013 at 03:16 AM.
idkfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:46 PM   #29 (permalink)
uncanny

AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggot View Post
I was hoping this thread was about "headlights", like the one in the member's section.
Disappointed.
You weren't the only one thinking that.

mcb feedback
Customcockers.com feedback
Mostly mechanical autocockers
paintballedbackin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:00 PM   #30 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJOttawa View Post
I keep a spare front and tail light in the car; cops are usually cool if you change it on the spot they'll actually let you go without paperwork.
Only works if you don't need tools to replace them.

My wagon requires removal of the battery to replace the RS headlight. Not something I want to do at the side of the road with a pissed off cop waiting.

Must have some really nice cops over in Ottawa.
And God turned to Gabriel and said: “I shall create a land called Canada of outstanding natural beauty, with majestic mountains soaring with eagles, sparkling lakes abundant with bass and trout, forests full of elk and moose, and rivers stocked with salmon. I shall make the land rich in oil so the inhabitants prosper and call them Canadians, and they shall be praised as the friendliest of all people.”

“But Lord,” asked Gabriel, “Is this not too generous to these Canadians?”

And God replied, “Just wait and see the neighbors I shall inflict upon them.”
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat