mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   General Chat (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/general-chat/)
-   -   Thinking about buying a Chevy Elcamino (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/general-chat/223966-thinking-about-buying-chevy-elcamino.html)

infamoussmiley 01-19-2013 08:27 PM

Thinking about buying a Chevy Elcamino

Have to get a new car. Thinking about just buying an Elcamino. Pros and Cons? Anything I should steer clear of. What years of production models are the prefered?

Smiley

Jordan 01-19-2013 08:28 PM

I prefer the ones based off of the bigger models, not the mid-80s Malibu based ones.... But the later ones can be made pretty fast.

Just personal preference.

Why an El Camino?

Reality Compromised 01-19-2013 08:37 PM

If you are using it as a pure a to b car. It will be fine. But you you quickly find that storing anything in it like a reg cab pickup is a pain. I love El Caminos but as a daily driver be prepared to leave a lot of delicate stuff in the bed.

infamoussmiley 01-19-2013 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordan (Post 2598114)
I prefer the ones based off of the bigger models, not the mid-80s Malibu based ones.... But the later ones can be made pretty fast.

Just personal preference.

Why an El Camino?

I've always wanted one. I think they are the coolest cars.

Smiley

infamoussmiley 01-19-2013 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reality Compromised (Post 2598123)
If you are using it as a pure a to b car. It will be fine. But you you quickly find that storing anything in it like a reg cab pickup is a pain. I love El Caminos but as a daily driver be prepared to leave a lot of delicate stuff in the bed.

Yeah, i'm not worried about that. I'm looking for a point A to point B car. I also prefer the older style of simpler engines. I can actually fix them myself.

Smiley

THE-SHOOTIST 01-19-2013 11:04 PM

They're pretty useless if you ask me. I had a Ford Ranchero once. It's not a car, it's not a pick-up, and it's not sports car. It has two seats, a bed you can't put much in, it can't hold a lot of weight.

My friend called it a "How do".
It's something you just drive up to girls and say "How do!"

Besides, Bill Clinton had one.

martix_agent 01-19-2013 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THE-SHOOTIST (Post 2598265)

My friend called it a "How do".
It's something you just drive up to girls and say "How do!"

google search isn't helping. What does this mean?

gainman 01-20-2013 01:16 PM

am i seriously going to have to be the first one to make the elcachino joke?

Deuce 01-20-2013 07:24 PM

I've always found them as a gap filler. They are somewhat utilitarian, but not enough to be completely useful.

Though I was a fan of the concept from a few years back. I would've bought one of those. I want to say it was from Holden?

martix_agent 01-20-2013 07:35 PM

the chevy ssr?