mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   General Chat (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/general-chat/)
-   -   Steel toe shoe suggestions (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/general-chat/227150-steel-toe-shoe-suggestions.html)

TheePsycho 02-24-2013 08:17 PM

Steel toe shoe suggestions

I started a new job at a printing company. Well this job requires me to wear steel toe shoes or boots and I'm standing for 12hrs a day (12 hour shift). Currently I'm wearing Wolverine steel toe work boots and I added some inserts for comfort, but I think I would be better off with shoes. Does anyone have any experience with really comfortable steel toe shoes?

Currently I was looking at these Puma steel toe shoes. I have a bunch of Puma shoes and they are all really comfortable.

Puma Shoes: Men's Steel Toe Heat Resistant Work Shoes 64.262.5 - Steel Toe Tennis Shoes - Men's Steel Toe Shoes - Footwear

FMPlayer 02-24-2013 08:26 PM

Yes, I had some Puma steel toe tennis shoes years ago when I worked for a pottery. I was also on my feet for 10-12hr shifts and they were not only lighter than boots but more comfortable. They really helped lessen fatigue. It has been several years so this isn't a 100% guarantee but best I can do.

B_i_s_c_u_i_t 02-24-2013 08:31 PM

I really like the Converse safety toe boots I have. some of the most comfortable boot/shoes I've ever worn.
Converse C8694 6 inch Composite Toe Side Zip Desert Boot plus FREE SHIPPING!

river031403 02-24-2013 08:35 PM

Georgia boots Georgia Giants and get the steel toe socks they will save your toes from blistering rubbing on the steel

Millar156 02-24-2013 08:38 PM

If you are permitted to wear them you might want to check out composite toed shoes/boots instead of actual steel. They're much lighter while still offering protection.

crandall 02-24-2013 08:55 PM

Red Wings has a series of boots with what they call a King Toe. I have wide feet and they are not the usual cruel shoes that most steel toes are. I am unsure if they make it in a shoe.

Good luck in your quest

PolarMonkey 02-24-2013 09:42 PM

I have a pair of Carhartt steel toed shoes, and while comfortable, I would NOT recommend them for any place that gets moderately cold outside. Whatever rubber compound that they use for the soles becomes rock hard and basically turns them into ice skates any time it gets below freezing.

If you have wide feet, check out Keen shoes and boots. I had a pair of their shoes that were really comfortable and recently got a pair of their steel toed boots (to replace the Carhartts during winter) that have been comfortable so far.

idkfa 02-24-2013 09:48 PM

As said before, go with composite toes if you are allowed (you should be providing they have the necessary stamps). I have to wear a set of 8" boots at work and the composite toes make them about as light as a pair of snow boots.

Listessa 02-25-2013 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Millar156 (Post 2634722)
If you are permitted to wear them you might want to check out composite toed shoes/boots instead of actual steel. They're much lighter while still offering protection.

Quote:

Originally Posted by idkfa (Post 2634818)
As said before, go with composite toes if you are allowed (you should be providing they have the necessary stamps). I have to wear a set of 8" boots at work and the composite toes make them about as light as a pair of snow boots.

I'm another for composite toe. Composite toes also don't bend and slice off your toes in a compression accident. Like idkfa said, make sure whichever steel or composite kind you buy has the correct ANSI or MilSpec standards for your workplace.

I have some awesome Danner 8" side zip EMT boots. They are kind of spendy, but they will last longer than just a year. I got three years (wearing them all day every day at work) out of the first pair. They are light weight and very comfortable.

Honestly, the cheep ones aren't worth the money you save. They don't last, and beat the crap out of your feet. Steel are heavy, so they can start wearing on your joints too. The steel toed sneakers I have tried on have all been heavier than my composite boots. Plus I prefer that extra bit of ankle protection.

foldadoom 02-25-2013 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Listessa (Post 2635078)
I'm another for composite toe. Composite toes also don't bend and slice off your toes in a compression accident. Like idkfa said, make sure whichever steel or composite kind you buy has the correct ANSI or MilSpec standards for your workplace.

I have some awesome Danner 8" side zip EMT boots. They are kind of spendy, but they will last longer than just a year. I got three years (wearing them all day every day at work) out of the first pair. They are light weight and very comfortable.

Honestly, the cheep ones aren't worth the money you save. They don't last, and beat the crap out of your feet. Steel are heavy, so they can start wearing on your joints too. The steel toed sneakers I have tried on have all been heavier than my composite boots. Plus I prefer that extra bit of ankle protection.

I agree with this as well saw a guy once get his little toe sliced off when a roller fell off a hoist on to his foot/boot, also on the up side they are not as cold.