mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   General Chat (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/general-chat/)
-   -   You can find anything on Craigslist (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/general-chat/227191-you-can-find-anything-craigslist.html)

Brother Jerry 02-25-2013 11:15 AM

You can find anything on Craigslist

Even the homeless must have the CL app on their phone for this find

Strawberries, blueberries and bread

Brother Jerry 02-25-2013 12:45 PM

Some stores will do that here as well. But no matter what...I am not going dumpster diving for sushi :)

JLuke 02-25-2013 12:50 PM

It is pitiful the amount that businesses throw out.

Was at a kfc buffet thing one night just before closing, lady was going to each of the trays and just dumping them into a garbage can. One of the people there asked if they could take some home since they were just throwing it away and the person throwing it away refused. Said it was policy or something to dispose of all the food each night, something about too many people would be coming in after hours to get the free food they were going to throw away anyway.

docholiday 02-25-2013 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLuke (Post 2635310)

Was at a kfc buffet thing one night just before closing, lady was going to each of the trays and just dumping them into a garbage can. One of the people there asked if they could take some home since they were just throwing it away and the person throwing it away refused. Said it was policy or something to dispose of all the food each night, something about too many people would be coming in after hours to get the free food they were going to throw away anyway.

Unfortunatley, it has everything to do with our outstanding court system. If the businesses were to give away old buffett items at the end of the day, or things that were close to the expiry date, law suites would abound from enterprising folks. As sad as it is, the businesses are just trying to protect themselves but trashing everything.

martix_agent 02-25-2013 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLuke (Post 2635310)

This is exactly right. you start handing things out and people will no longer want to pay for them. It's a shame it's a food product though.

Titus 02-25-2013 02:20 PM

The local bagel shop in FL everyday would toss out the day old bagels. I asked them one day if they'd put some aside for me to bring to work in the AM. Everyday on my way to work, I'd go in and pick up a huge box of bagels. Still fresh tasting and everyone was happy.

Asking helps.

Murf425 02-25-2013 02:48 PM

My college roommate worked at Chick-Fil-A, and would often be assigned the task of hauling garbage bags full of leftover sandwiches and nuggets to the dumpster at the end of the night.
He instead hauled them to his car, and the three of us in the apartment would get a several-day vacation from Ramen.

pirhana92 02-25-2013 03:00 PM

At my work we throw out stuff all the time and what I'll do is if the food is still good and edible I take it to my church's free store. We're under the Good Samaritan Act (my church is) so we can't be sued and so on.

Basically at our free store. We call it the Flag City Free Store. We give out food, toiletries and clothing to families in need in Findlay and Northwest Ohio. Just in the past 2 months we've given away almost 25,000lbs of food. Thats not including clothes and toiletries.

Its a blessing to help solve the hunger issue in Northwest Ohio.

Arson24 02-25-2013 03:41 PM

When i worked at Save-on-foods as a baker I had to throw out
the entire window section of all the stuff we made that day
and was told that if I gave it out to meals on wheels or anything similar that I would be fired.....
what a waste.

I was also told that one time a manager had felt bad for a guy and gave him a box of muffins, well the guy found an opportunity and stuffed it full of broken glass and came back bleeding every where

Brother Jerry 02-25-2013 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pirhana92 (Post 2635398)
At my work we throw out stuff all the time and what I'll do is if the food is still good and edible I take it to my church's free store. We're under the Good Samaritan Act (my church is) so we can't be sued and so on.

Basically at our free store. We call it the Flag City Free Store. We give out food, toiletries and clothing to families in need in Findlay and Northwest Ohio. Just in the past 2 months we've given away almost 25,000lbs of food. Thats not including clothes and toiletries.

Its a blessing to help solve the hunger issue in Northwest Ohio.

Amen to that. Praying that God continues to meet the needs you are providing for others.