mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Heart of a Sheridan!

Brass N Wood Fan
The price of Military Surplus these days, jeez.......

You know, sometimes......

So, I flew in from Regina to Ottawa too visit family. Wile here, I wanted to see if I could find myself a Canadian Airforce gor tex flight jacket (blue, lots of pockets, fleece lined, ect.). Today, my family and I went to three army surplus shops to try to find one (I would have given up after the first one, but my father doesn't give in that easy). Each shop had only a small handful of the the type I was looking for stuffed way back in a corner or under a pile of other airforce goods. Can anyone guess how much each shop was asking?........... 90 bucks. ninety freaking dollars!!! Nearly $100......... for a "surplus" jacket.

Listen, I used to work for a surplus. I know how these shops get their supply. The stuff is like dirt, and should be sold like dirt if you want to move your product in order to bring more in. Heck, we used to get the Airforce gortex jackets in and couldn't hardly give the bloody things away. I guess no one likes blue. Like dude, I would pay at most $60 for a nice one. But this stuff should be going for much cheaper. I mean, it's called surplus for a reason.

Looking on-line now, getting pretty much the same the deal. Ebay, looks like $50 is what I'm seeing them go for. But shipping is killing any hopes of picking one up from there.

Sigh.......... I'll shut up now......
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkT View Post
Didn't you post this before?
The Winchester Project
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/c...ml#post2116101

And me feedback.
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
PAINTBALL GUY 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:21 AM   #2 (permalink)

Welcome to the new normal.

I receive several wholesale surplus catalogs for work and I'm friends with several surplus dealers. They all say the same thing; there really isn't a surplus of surplus anymore. Most warehouses got liquidated a while ago and governments started tightening their belts. The shift to smaller militaries resulted in less excess. Hard to imagine governments being thrifty but they are. Cost of business are also on the rise with fuel and others expenses always increasing. Wholesale prices are higher and as such so are retail. Just because it's more than you care to spend is a moot point. The fact that there were only a handful can be an indicator that demand is greater than supply. It's priced more than you want to spend, so they will sell it to someone else for whom it isn't.

Classic case is bolt action battle rifles like Mosin-Nagants and Enfields. 15-20 years ago India and the former Eastern Bloc arsenals figured it was time to liquidate their dusty warehouses and flooded the market. The bottom fell out of pricing and I remember seeing Mosin-Nagants and No.1 MkIII Enfields for $85 at Big 5 Sporting Goods. Guess what? 2-3 years ago those supplies dried up. Retail prices have risen dramatically and people who were used to 1990s pricing scream price gouging. I was at a gun show last weekend and was hanging out with one of my favorite dealers. A customer actually got pissed at him that he wanted $185 for a Mosin-Nagant. He confided with me that after import fees, shipping, paying himself a skilled wage to completely clean out the cosmoline, plus fuel and booth fees, he was making $20 on a M-N rifle.

I collect British WW1 and WW2 militaria. A lot of the stuff used to be cheap and easy to find... now, it's getting harder to find once common pieces and prices are raising across the board (especially in the last two years).

Last edited by LettuceHead; 04-10-2013 at 10:13 AM.
LettuceHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Deathwish_DW Send a message via Yahoo to Deathwish_DW

If you buy direct from the US military via their sales venues, it is actually quite inexpensive per unit.. just be prepared to purchase 1000+ units.
Proud Dealer of: J4 Paintball - Bob Long - DLX - Ninja Paintball - GOG - Deadlywind - Valken

MCB Feedback 57+ (People don't really leave me feedback, lol :d)
PBN Feedback 314+
eBay Feedback 1906+
Deathwish_DW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Bitter Young Man

M65 field jackets used to be pretty cheap, now they're like $100! That's crazy! I got mine about 5 years ago for $80 and I had to shop around at the surplus stores here for an Alpha Industries one.
HyePower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Phantom Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyePower View Post
M65 field jackets used to be pretty cheap, now they're like $100! That's crazy! I got mine about 5 years ago for $80 and I had to shop around at the surplus stores here for an Alpha Industries one.
Not to thread jack, but where do you go to other than the one on Market and 8th?
Feedback
BoBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
migrant bomb picking....

Surplus store are just like Pawn Shops.

Haggle the price.
Mr. Hick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

The other thing to consider is if an item is actual surplus or just military spec. More and more of what you see at a surplus store is really just new made merchandise.
LettuceHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

I've found a couple of nice pieces at the right price on flea-bay lately, but they do disappear and leave a lot of silly priced stuff. I guess a lot of it is more fashionable (or practical) than it used to be.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
Sorry guys.

The price of hard good are not going up.

The dollars in your bank account are worth less.(its called inflation)

It's easy taxation without representation.

Check here for the good old day price.

The Inflation Calculator
“Do not yearn too much for a sword made by a famous smith. This is because even if you give a good man a sword worth ten thousand coppers, he will not be able to beat a hundred men each holding a spear worth a hundred coppers.” - Asakura Takakage Toshikage, 1462-1482

Ecc. 9-10
Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with your might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, where you go.

NEW STORE http://store.chipleymachine.com/

DOOR GUNNER handgun mounts for gunsafes.

http://www.machineshopdpm.com/
CCMachinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Modder at heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by LettuceHead View Post
Welcome to the new normal.

Classic case is bolt action battle rifles like Mosin-Nagants and Enfields. 15-20 years ago India and the former Eastern Bloc arsenals figured it was time to liquidate their dusty warehouses and flooded the market. The bottom fell out of pricing and I remember seeing Mosin-Nagants and No.1 MkIII Enfields for $85 at Big 5 Sporting Goods. Guess what? 2-3 years ago those supplies dried up. Retail prices have risen dramatically and people who were used to 1990s pricing scream price gouging. I was at a gun show last weekend and was hanging out with one of my favorite dealers. A customer actually got pissed at him that he wanted $185 for a Mosin-Nagant. He confided with me that after import fees, shipping, paying himself a skilled wage to completely clean out the cosmoline, plus fuel and booth fees, he was making $20 on a M-N rifle.

I collect British WW1 and WW2 militaria. A lot of the stuff used to be cheap and easy to find... now, it's getting harder to find once common pieces and prices are raising across the board (especially in the last two years).
I agree. Its absolutely crazy the prices they are asking for a sportered enfield these days! Used to be $100 not even two years ago. Now, $250-300. The problem is, people are buying them at these prices! Crazy considering you can get a full wood for $400. Although, now that is starting to go higher....
Danny D is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat