mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:51 AM   #11 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperU2 View Post
Don't forget to try the "rape is a cultural thing" defense.

Cookies must be enabled | Herald Sun
Haven't seen that on any other news outlets here, just a few blogs and shall we say a few less than reputable sources. Something like that would have caught a lot of attention.
I suspect something is being mis-represented to try make a headline.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:29 AM   #12 (permalink)
Post Whore

I had a close friend who was accused and it was nonsense on the "victims" part. Even though it was clear from the get-go she was lying, and charges were not pressed, he was kicked out of college and lost everything (job, apartment, etc) and his family basically disowned him. He ended up taking his own life within a year of the incident.

I believe the charges for filing false report should be just as high as they are for a person that actually commits the crime. There's really no coming back from the accusation - I helped my friend look into a defamation suit but in this state there are actually laws in place to prevent that in cases of sexual assault claims to "protect the victims" regardless of whether they're victims or not. So much for being innocent until proven guilty.

I've heard it said that such laws would discourage women from coming forward, but there are so many cases where "regret" turns into "rape" that something really should be done. Most employers would rather have a convicted killer on staff than an acquitted rapist, and it's a matter of public record either way. False claims and "regret" incidents devalue the experiences of real victims, and make victims of the accused attacker.

Sad world.
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:09 AM   #13 (permalink)
Post Whore

Law enforcement in Canada tends to be fairly careful in cases like this before rushing out to arrest people. These are not simple cases, and it is very easy to make mistakes that will waste court time and risk ruining even more lives.

If they rush off half-cocked, and their charges get torn apart in court, then the guilty party can very well walk away untouched. Then there is also the risk of someone innocent being caught up and railroaded, especially while public opinion is tends to be so highly charged.

Police do their best to get as many of their ducks in as straight of a row as they possibly can, and then they bring things down hard.

I've seen a lot of people say "Well they can trace back and find the phone the photo was taken on! Nail the bugger to the wall!"... And what if the original phone belonged to someone who wasn't actually there? (I've also seen some comments that the photos were taken with a point and shoot, not a phone)

It is very easy to drum up a lot of damning evidence that really doesn't prove a thing, and that is why these cases are exceptionally hard to make any headway with.
Luckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:26 AM   #14 (permalink)
Ridin' The ShortBus

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Palmers Fan
The Canadian Justice System is a huge joke, the women who murdered her two children is set free after spending 10 months in custody - then sent to Australia...geez
The Southern Alberta Pump League TheSAPL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
I'd date a girl with a cocker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappadapink View Post
....bro, you just gave me a quarter chub.
Jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:22 AM   #15 (permalink)
Post Whore

I know I couldn't have done anything but I still wish I was there. I would have been friends with her, she looks nice and were the same age. I hate when people treat rape victims like her like they are nasty whores and bad people when they didn't do anything wrong. It makes me feel like a victim living in this world
Old 04-10-2013, 12:41 PM   #16 (permalink)
The Attractive Fireman

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIDWESTHIPPO117 View Post
I know I couldn't have done anything but I still wish I was there. I would have been friends with her, she looks nice and were the same age. I hate when people treat rape victims like her like they are nasty whores and bad people when they didn't do anything wrong. It makes me feel like a victim living in this world
This. I've had friends that have been raped. It doesn't make them a horrible person, it makes them a victim of this horrible world that we live in. There seems to be too much of this happening nowadays. It truly saddens me when a beautiful young girl like her chooses to kill herself because of the actions of others. What is this world coming to?
TippmannFireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:02 PM   #17 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Deathwish_DW Send a message via Yahoo to Deathwish_DW

Yeah... I know quite a few women who have been through the same ringer. Cops won't do anything etc. It's terrible. And the lack of justice leads to further insecurities even in a stable and loving relationship.

The only time justice was near was when I had one of the perpetrator's throat in my hands.. :|

Make your Ion a Mech!!

*Click Me*
Y0da900/Deathwish_DW's Mechanical Ion Kit for Sale Thread
*Click Me*

MCB Feedback 107+
PBN Feedback 355+
eBay Feedback 2600+
Deathwish_DW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:38 PM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathwish_DW View Post

The only time justice was near was when I had one of the perpetrator's throat in my hands.. :|
sounds like you enjoyed choking that dick
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:46 PM   #19 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Deathwish_DW Send a message via Yahoo to Deathwish_DW

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
sounds like you enjoyed choking that dick
My parents are divorced and my mother is mentally handicapped.

She called us screaming and yelling, asking for help.

We arrived and he attempted to attack her as she left the house.

He was going to die by having this throat slashed open and further torn apart by my hands.

My father had to check me into the door because what seemed like an entire police force had arrived.

He got off due to my mother's disability.

Needless to say, I hold certain views and "red lines" when it comes to this action (of the attacker) or inaction (of authority).

When the two latest incidences happened regarding similar situations, the court proceedings and attack were withheld from me until it was over so that I would not deal with the issue myself.
The DA ruled in favor of the attack again on the same basis. The other involved another individual who actually went to my high school. He was warned by the administration et al to stay clear away from me. Him and his brother decided to strike first one day. It ended miserably for them. Furthermore, and once again, the police involved did not press charges. I believe the victim still has ~4 months under the statute of limitations, but she has been a wreck since.

Make your Ion a Mech!!

*Click Me*
Y0da900/Deathwish_DW's Mechanical Ion Kit for Sale Thread
*Click Me*

MCB Feedback 107+
PBN Feedback 355+
eBay Feedback 2600+

Last edited by Deathwish_DW; 04-10-2013 at 02:52 PM.
Deathwish_DW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:49 PM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathwish_DW View Post
My parents are divorced and my mother is mentally handicapped.

She called us screaming and yelling, asking for help.

We arrived and he attempted to attack her as she left the house.

He was going to die by having this throat slashed open and further torn apart by my hands.

My father had to check me into the door because what seemed like an entire police force had arrived.

He got off due to my mother's disability.

Needless to say, I hold certain views and "red lines" when it comes to this action (of the attacker) or inaction (of authority).
yikes, and judging from your post before that one, he was let go scott free?

my philosophy professor once said kids and the disabled have the most rights unprotected, even more than inmates. i think i keep getting more convinced the more i hear.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat