mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 05-27-2013, 12:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I own a GMC and it is gutless.

I bought a 20ft Jay Flight travel trailer that weighs about 4200lbs fully loaded and I own a 2010 GMC Sierra with a 295hp 4.8L with a K&N intake on it... Weakest 295hp I've ever driven.

I used to tow slightly heavier loads with my 2000 Ford 4.6L which might have been rated somewhere between 220 and 240hp and not struggle as much on the mighty hills of British Columbia to justify bitching about it on the interwebs.

So what can I do with this?

Chip it? Is this a safe/reliable way of gaining hp. Is it gonna be hard on my Trans? 4spd auto

Is an aftermarket exhaust system gonna do much for me? My Ford had dual exhaust on it when I bought it used, no headers.
Does an exhaust system even do much if it doesnt have aftermarket headers? How about a 3" exhaust system?

Both? Chip and exhaust?

I am kinda on a tight budget, chipping it seems to be cheaper.
Pump_Action_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Chipping/tuning will help. How much depends on how aggressive the tune is. A 3" exhaust for a stock motor, I am assuming, will not help. You could go after gears for the rear end too, but that can affect your mpg (if that even matters). You could also change out the factory mufflers for something else restrictive.

Best options will be the chip/tune and gears. If you decide to do the gears make sure to do them before the tune or by the same person so they can make the sure the proper specs are used in the tune to reflect the change in gearing
Dysturbed87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Want to see my spaceship?

That engine was designed with fuel economy in mind only. The 5.3 would have been a wiser decision. One area to focus on is gearing, not engine power. The engine runs at lower rpms at highway and town speed due to the gears in your rear end. Get lower gears, higher in number, and you will see an improvement in pulling performance. Also not using over-drive will help, but your mpg will go down.

The intake you have barely does a thing for the truck, just better air flow. Exhaust will make it sound nice, but once again won't do much for a power increase. Forget a chip, that will be an absolute waste of money.

If you want to optimize performance, you need to tune the engine's computer. That will really wake it up.

I'm not trying to discourage you, I've been around modding cars and trucks long enough to know what does and doesn't work.

Last edited by Phoenix01; 05-27-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Phoenix01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fish Taco

When it comes to towing, gearing is your best friend. Save your modding money. ^^^This post is great.
ih8cornnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Most of the 1/2 ton gas pickups I've driven lately are gutless when it comes to actually using them as a truck. They are geared way too high to get the most mpg out of them. Diesel 3/4 ton would be much better suited for towing. More torque and better selection of gearing. Those trucks are actually designed to do that kind of work. A light duty truck is just that light duty.
Reality Compromised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Mind Your Manners

What a bizarre world we live in where a 4.8L engine is designed for fuel economy, marketed for hauling ****, and fails at both.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Spending lots of money on diesel truck to tow a seemingly light trailer a dozen times a year seemed like a waste. 300hp should tow a small trailer...

I bought the truck used and it was a great price, like I stated I owned a Ford with a smaller engine and less HP and it pulled similar weight just fine, it probably had 3:73 gears in it and this GMC may very well have 3:23's.

And yes lol, the 4.8 does seem to fail at towing and fuel economy.

Looks like gearing it is... Not gonna be cheap. It's a 4x4.

Probably better off selling the damn thing and going back to a Ford...
Old 05-27-2013, 02:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Don't forget that unless your truck has mechanical speedo linkage you will need something to recalibrate the speedometer (if that matters to you).
Dysturbed87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Thanks
Old 05-27-2013, 06:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pump_Action_Prophet View Post
Spending lots of money on diesel truck to tow a seemingly light trailer a dozen times a year seemed like a waste. 300hp should tow a small trailer...

I bought the truck used and it was a great price, like I stated I owned a Ford with a smaller engine and less HP and it pulled similar weight just fine, it probably had 3:73 gears in it and this GMC may very well have 3:23's.

And yes lol, the 4.8 does seem to fail at towing and fuel economy.

Looks like gearing it is... Not gonna be cheap. It's a 4x4.

Probably better off selling the damn thing and going back to a Ford...
If it's a 4x4 more likely to have 3.42's. Reg cab short box 4x4 with 4.8L max tow rating is 6000lbs. according to GM.
Reality Compromised is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat