mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 07-14-2013, 12:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via MSN to foldadoom

wife's Paypal just got hacked

wow got up this morning to have the standard "you have sent funds" message from paypall....you can check it on this link "oh yeah right" so log into paypall via a new window, sure enough there is payment details, its for a real odd amount, $85.21, so i have filled a dispute.

My question is how long do these take to resolve and do they usually in end in your favor? we never use her account...so god knows how they got it?

Have changed the password, got any other ideas?
Old 07-14-2013, 12:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

wipe computer with viruscans and ad ware scans. phone too, basically anything you and her have ever checked email with.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Semper Fi

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
is was illegally downloading magic mike and clicked a link to get a virus. the version of magic mike she tried downloading was the one with heinous as the main actor

ANGELS FOR LIFE!!!
gainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

i am currently $85.21 richer and doesn't know it!
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

A couple years ago the same thing happened to my wife. At the time we were selling 20-30 things a week on ebay, and did not realize that the amount was not linked to any existing auction.

And we were even more stupid. At the time we had our paypal account linked to all our credit and checking accounts. It made things much easier to move funds around without having to actually deal with banks and creditcard companies.

Then one day we noticed they were all emptied. Things moved quickly at that point. The thief had transfed all our funds into paypal, then used paypal to buy some expensive jewels from a pawn shop, then changed the paypal password to hide his tracks.

We called paypal, and they quickly took care of everything. They could verify the activity was illegal, and reversed everything. All the funds got back to the proper location. Paypal did a really good job, and took everything extremely serious.

The only negative was this pawnshop. They had already sold the jewelry, but the paypal funds were reversed before they could withdraw the funds, which were considerable. The only contact information they had was OURS, since thats what the thief used.

SO this pawnshop started calling us, and threatening us. They tried getting the police (local and state) involved, as well as the FBI and anyone else they could contact. Then later banks and insurance companies. For months we would get random phone calls, and would have to repeat the same story. Fortunetly, we lived -3000- miles away from the pawnshop!

In the end, we were lucky. Paypal was excellent, though the number was hard to find.

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP_Lovecraft View Post
A couple years ago the same thing happened to my wife. At the time we were selling 20-30 things a week on ebay, and did not realize that the amount was not linked to any existing auction.

And we were even more stupid. At the time we had our paypal account linked to all our credit and checking accounts. It made things much easier to move funds around without having to actually deal with banks and creditcard companies.

Then one day we noticed they were all emptied. Things moved quickly at that point. The thief had transfed all our funds into paypal, then used paypal to buy some expensive jewels from a pawn shop, then changed the paypal password to hide his tracks.

We called paypal, and they quickly took care of everything. They could verify the activity was illegal, and reversed everything. All the funds got back to the proper location. Paypal did a really good job, and took everything extremely serious.

The only negative was this pawnshop. They had already sold the jewelry, but the paypal funds were reversed before they could withdraw the funds, which were considerable. The only contact information they had was OURS, since thats what the thief used.

SO this pawnshop started calling us, and threatening us. They tried getting the police (local and state) involved, as well as the FBI and anyone else they could contact. Then later banks and insurance companies. For months we would get random phone calls, and would have to repeat the same story. Fortunetly, we lived -3000- miles away from the pawnshop!

In the end, we were lucky. Paypal was excellent, though the number was hard to find.
that why you make another account not tide to you bank account. you set up another account not tide to any of your main accounts with bank. so if someone does hack your paypal account bank and paypal will back you up and help you. since bank can give more help in matter. since could lead to bank fraud on behave of person stealing your account threw paypal.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
Pump Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislognshot View Post
that why you make another account not tide to you bank account. you set up another account not tide to any of your main accounts with bank. so if someone does hack your paypal account bank and paypal will back you up and help you. since bank can give more help in matter. since could lead to bank fraud on behave of person stealing your account threw paypal.
The number of grammar errors has me so confused lol.

I really don't understand what you're trying to say. You make another account not TIED to your bank account. Set up another account not tied to your main bank account? What?
SlvrDragon50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:13 AM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

i was told to make new bank account so they can not get into your main bank account. so better to have bank account that not tied to main one or any of your main accounts. better to have one separate from main account and not tied to it.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
Old school

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislognshot View Post
i was told to make new bank account so they can not get into your main bank account. so better to have bank account that not tied to main one or any of your main accounts. better to have one separate from main account and not tied to it.
Set up another account at your bank and link eBay to that new account.

Link your new account to your main account through the bank.

This way you control and limit how much is in that new bank account.

If you regularly do eBay transactions you can then move money in after winning and automatically sweep money out after some dollar amount is reached from/to your main account.

This way they would also have to break into the bank system to get more.
SeeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
The number of grammar errors has me so confused lol.
I had no problem understanding. However, I did appreciate the irony of your sentence.

For our situation, we liked having paypal linked to everything because it made things trivial to move funds around. This was before banks typically offered similar services.

But things are different now. Nearly all banks offer online services. So we opened a separate bank account that ONLY handles online transactions. We can use our banks online system to transfer funds as needed.

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat