mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   General Chat (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/general-chat/)
-   -   home security cameras- who's done some research? (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/general-chat/241550-home-security-cameras-whos-done-some-research.html)

Phantom Mikey 09-08-2013 11:06 PM

home security cameras- who's done some research?

I'm looking to set up cameras around the property. I will need to have a long range for the infrared part. Something that records and goes to a monitor, and some wireless cameras will be needed.

I'm hoping someone here already knows about this stuff.

Thanks.

Rover 09-08-2013 11:30 PM

So...

I've never professionally installed around a home, but I've set up retail cameras before.

From my experience: Be prepared to shell out a lot of money. Nearly every camera model I've ever seen has an utterly terrible infrared range. Measured in a few meters. You'll need to invest in what is the infrared equivalent of flood-lights to actually achieve a good range.

Wireless cameras are notoriously finicky, but can have a good long range. You'll essentially be buying a 'kit' that comes up with the main recorder, and a few cameras. Everything else you buy is an addon to the main kit.

I am mostly familiar with Lorex cameras, and have set up multiple versions of an 8-camera set that is popular in retail environments.

jarhead_18 09-08-2013 11:44 PM

Take a look at the all in one boxed sets and check out the systems you can put together piece by piece. I have a Swann camera system at home. I bought everything seperately because I wanted to get a setup with the fewest compromises. A professional system will cost thousands. You could get a good at home system like the one I have for around $500. In the end I spent around $1000 because I upgraded the camera in the front of my house. I can monitor the cameras from my iphone. I have a 1 TB DVR that I record to and will save nearly a month of video. When you set up the cameras, realize that they are very limited in capability. Position them where they are outside, preferably under overhead cover and out of reach from the ground. You also want to aim the cameras so that they are as close as possible to the target. As already mentioned, they don't have great range. In the end, my set up provides peace of mind to my wife who can see people on our doorstep before going to the door. I've had fun figuring out which dogs in my neighborhood have been crapping in my yard, etc. Overall, I think they are good deterrent but if someone really wants in, they'll get in.

tarakian 09-09-2013 08:26 AM

I would recommend skipping wireless all together. You will still need power to them, so wireless is really a misnomer. Best way is to run siamese coax to all of your cameras from a central power supply. It may be a little more work as far as cabling, but you can then put a UPS on the power supply and DVR to keep them up for a while in the event of a power outage. It's also a pain to have power adapters scattered all over. If you are going to have any cameras away from the main structure, you will want to bury the cable. Otherwise, lightning will not be your friend.

SlvrDragon50 09-10-2013 09:52 PM

Slickdeals has FOSCAM cameras on sale all the time. The community there is pretty friendly as well.

The Flounder 09-10-2013 10:28 PM

I do a lot of work with IP based cameras. They are not cheap but they do a really nice job. The units I have worked with come with a web server built in so you have a lot of functionality included in the camera. Most of what I have installed ate powered over the Ethernet cable so only a single cable is required. As for the best IR lamps to use that would depend on your needs. How far do you want to be able to see? What sort of thing are you looking at? Do you care if you can tell the IR lamps are on?

Everything you wanted to know about IR Illumination for CCTV cameras.