mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

i never liked samsung anyway

i thought their phone breaking years ago on me was bad. then there is this:

The Daily Dot - Samsung's response to a customer whose phone caught fire only made things worse

defect
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dc4duKuPrQ0

aftermath, strong language
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QHd-_qncEU#t=26
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

LMAO. I think I have made it fairly well known on this board where I stand with Samsung (and Verizon as well). It was an amusing letter and one that would have required a fairly large check for me to initial and send back. That letter alone would tell me I should be seeking legal representation if I had had a similar problem
"Do not overcome by the evil, but overcome, in the good, the evil" - Romans 12:21 - Young's Literal Translation

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Yes, that is a joke ---->

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
I bet thousands of false claims from people trying to get new phones have caused this situation where the companies have started calling the bluff on every claim. So now when there really is a problem, **** has to get real.
ta2maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:31 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta2maki View Post
I bet thousands of false claims from people trying to get new phones have caused this situation where the companies have started calling the bluff on every claim. So now when there really is a problem, **** has to get real.
Or it could be that Samsung is sitting on what could turn out to be a cataclysmically expensive recall and their legal team is in the 11th hour of making the call.
The Inflicted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
I'll shoot myself anyway

As a phone tech... I would like to see the inside of the phone. Also, the battery in the second video is not an OEM one from what I could see. I can say that over all, we have not seen an issue with this happening on any level with this model of phone any more than any other. Since the person in the video only had one and not a ton of them, there is no reason to think that he just got a defective one. If he had brought it to my store, I would have replaced it, no questions asked (Would have liked his charger and cable as well), if looking inside the phone does not reveal any corrosion or some other type of physical damage. The video only shows the outside of the phone and not the inside circuit board, so it would be difficult to make a decision based upon this video.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebFisher View Post
As a phone tech... I would like to see the inside of the phone. Also, the battery in the second video is not an OEM one from what I could see. I can say that over all, we have not seen an issue with this happening on any level with this model of phone any more than any other. Since the person in the video only had one and not a ton of them, there is no reason to think that he just got a defective one. If he had brought it to my store, I would have replaced it, no questions asked (Would have liked his charger and cable as well), if looking inside the phone does not reveal any corrosion or some other type of physical damage. The video only shows the outside of the phone and not the inside circuit board, so it would be difficult to make a decision based upon this video.
And likely avoided the entire issue that has suddenly popped up. I can tell you from working with Samsung and Verizon customer service that I have no reason to give either company a premium price based on customer service. The only reason I am still with Verizon is because of the product (noone else offers coverage in my area) and I have switched from Samsung because of their poor customer service.

Put simply my experience with Verizon and Samsung is it would be virtually impossible to offer worse customer service. I do acknowledge that in Verizon's case I have to separate out the product (wireless coverage) from the customer service.
"Do not overcome by the evil, but overcome, in the good, the evil" - Romans 12:21 - Young's Literal Translation

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:42 AM   #7 (permalink)
I'll shoot myself anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
And likely avoided the entire issue that has suddenly popped up. I can tell you from working with Samsung and Verizon customer service that I have no reason to give either company a premium price based on customer service. The only reason I am still with Verizon is because of the product (noone else offers coverage in my area) and I have switched from Samsung because of their poor customer service.

Put simply my experience with Verizon and Samsung is it would be virtually impossible to offer worse customer service. I do acknowledge that in Verizon's case I have to separate out the product (wireless coverage) from the customer service.
No... I would have addressed the issue with our team (we have a VERY good research team that actively investigates these issues) and with the customer based upon what I find. I do not work for Verizon where they have no on-sight techs, but with a company that does. We actually take the phones apart and have tools that we can use to see if we can determine a cause. If we cannot, then we can send them to our headquarters where we have a team that will investigate WITH the manufacturers any problem that consistently comes up whether it is catastrophic or otherwise. I can tell you that we have sold over 1 million of the S4's and have not seen a significant number of failures like this. However, if it does become an issue, we can still take care of the customer IN OUR STORE. We don't send people to the manufacturer.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:50 AM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

The silly mirco-usb slots are notoriously weak. I wouldn't be surprised if he damaged it resulting in a short. Still a bit strange since those chargers don't really have much power output and certainly don't have much current, hell my USB port on my laptop has a higher current rating than my wall wart (500mA vs 150mA for those interested).

This isn't even a Samsung specific issue, a few years ago Apple batteries where exploding in peoples pockets for no apparent reason. And what about all the Prius' that would spontaneously ignite from the battery pack? It's not even an industry specific issue. The nature of chargers and batteries makes them pretty damn volatile.

EDIT: I do dislike Samsung btw.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

To play devils-advocate, I really dig my Galaxy 4
bellicose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

They offered to send him a new phone, and asked him to remove the video. What's out of the ordinary?
russc is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat