mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Ebay is horrible!

I sold my Samsung Galaxy S5 on ebay last week and out of nowhere they slap me with a $32.75 listing & final value fee! I've bought and sold tons of things on Ebay and this is the first time i've EVER been charged a final value fee. It doesn't make any sense to use ebay anymore. You get charged to list an item, then once it sells Paypal charges you 2.75%+ .30 cent fee and then ebay takes another 10% final value fee out of you! It's crazy!

How are they not out of business??! I do have to give it up to the guy at Paypal I talked to. He went out of his way to help me to get the fee reversed. Even getting into an argument with a lady over at ebay when we did a 3 way call with them. I got my fee back plus he credited my account $27 and some change for the inconvenience ebay caused me. His name was Brian and If i could deal with that guy every time I have to call Paypal, I'd use nothing but Paypal to except payments. So mad props to that guy.

End Rant.

Last edited by Steve_81; 05-31-2014 at 10:48 PM.
Steve_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
All the fees are listed in the terms when you agree to list an item. They even calculate the estimated fees for you. I dislike eBay for selling items as much as the next guy but they don't exactly try to hide their fees.

They are not out of business because it is more convenient and reaches a greater market than a garage sale.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
MaD
MCB Member

I don't see the issue. The final value fees are fixed and 10% across the board. It's a pretty standard rate for real auctions. I actually have no idea why they would have given you a refund at all.

For a lot of items it's well worth it as you have a global market and usually can get more than 10% above other options. Sure, you can craigslist it but dealing with that just sucks.

PP fees are fixed as well. You sell, you accept money, you pay a fee. Try taking MC, Visa or discover directly and see how cheap that is.

Yes, if you plan to do a lot of ebay and take paypal you need to buffer in the percentages. It's ~13% overall. Oh... and you pay 10% fee on shipping as well. :\

Quote:
Originally Posted by senghing27
ooops
Note: While I would love to take credit for his work, I am not associated with Mad Customs!
You can contact BigMatt-MadCustoms in his MCB forum
MaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 01:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
Blue resistance movement.

[QUOTE=Steve_81;2967176]How are they not out of business??![QUOTE]

They are still in business because they charge money to use their site to sell your stuff. Craigslist is your alternative but you won't reach the same size of market, get frequent no-shows for pick-up, and there is always the potential of being robbed.

Your fees with ebay are displayed when you list your item. They also have a calculator wizard to figure it out if you don't want to build your auction just to see how much it would cost to list and sell.

When you list your item, you need to do some math of what you actually want to see as a net return after insertion fee (sometimes free), final value fee, shipping, and paypal.

I too have felt the sting of ebay but it's the nature of the beast. As a non-US seller, Paypal will also take another bite with their exchange rates for currency conversion on top of their 3%. I had to open an account with a US based bank (yes Canadians, you can do this) to get around it.

It puts the hands in the air or it gets the paint again.
Rickfactor2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 02:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
High 4 Crew

I do not know how eBay works as a seller, but the fact that you have used them before with no issue and them backing you up after l an issue says alot of good things to me. Not trying to burn you but point out the good that came out of it!
Old 06-02-2014, 06:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_81 View Post
I sold my Samsung Galaxy S5 on ebay last week and out of nowhere they slap me with a $32.75 listing & final value fee! I've bought and sold tons of things on Ebay and this is the first time i've EVER been charged a final value fee. It doesn't make any sense to use ebay anymore. You get charged to list an item, then once it sells Paypal charges you 2.75%+ .30 cent fee and then ebay takes another 10% final value fee out of you! It's crazy!

How are they not out of business??! I do have to give it up to the guy at Paypal I talked to. He went out of his way to help me to get the fee reversed. Even getting into an argument with a lady over at ebay when we did a 3 way call with them. I got my fee back plus he credited my account $27 and some change for the inconvenience ebay caused me. His name was Brian and If i could deal with that guy every time I have to call Paypal, I'd use nothing but Paypal to except payments. So mad props to that guy.

End Rant.
So you are wondering how a business that provides you with a service and charges you money to use the service is still in business? You do understand how the concept of a business works right? That person you talked to is not going to work to deal with customer's who can't believe how much it cost them to use a service as a charity. He or she expects to be paid. The people providing the service expect to be paid. The money to pay them does not magically appear.

I mean really. Do you work for free?

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful" Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
Old 'n Slow

How did youi manage to sell stuff on Ebay and not get charged a commission?

Their fees have been climbing over the years, but its never been free to sell.
Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:16 AM   #8 (permalink)
I lika doa the cha cha

There used to be a time(At least that I can remember) that they only charged you to list.
blitz121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 01:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
older, working on wiser

I want sure what the rate was but I always get a monthly bill from them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Thompson View Post
It was a simple question....I thought.
zacgodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 01:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
MaD
MCB Member

Yeah they notify me of an invoice to me every month even if I don't sell anything.

The fee percentages have gone up over time. Couple things I like about the changes they've made. First is just the standard % across the board instead of the varying percentages per category. Makes it easy to figure out. BINs are also the same rate now (they used to be higher than auctions).

The other is the free insertion fees with some free add-ons (pics, BIN, make offer...etc). You don't have to pay to list stuff anymore so if it doesn't sell you're not paying anything. When they got rid of that the %s went up a bit to make up for it but I actually prefer it this way.

Steve_81, I did actually re-read your first post and I'm wondering how you've "never paid a final value fee". I personally find that very odd. Also you do realize that Ebay owns Paypal correct? You're esentially ranting about and giving props to the same company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by senghing27
ooops
Note: While I would love to take credit for his work, I am not associated with Mad Customs!
You can contact BigMatt-MadCustoms in his MCB forum

Last edited by MaD; 06-02-2014 at 01:29 PM.
MaD is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat