mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

wikimedia refuses photographer takedown request of monkey selfie, cuz monkeys shot it

Monkey owns rights to selfie? Wikimedia refuses photographer claim - CNET

heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

Amazing pictures, but totally bogus on Wikimedia's end. The guy owns the rights to that picture, and any half sane court room would be on his side. Of course, copyright laws are pretty broken right now, so wikimedia might win...
bellicose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellicose View Post
Amazing pictures, but totally bogus on Wikimedia's end. The guy owns the rights to that picture, and any half sane court room would be on his side. Of course, copyright laws are pretty broken right now, so wikimedia might win...
So the owner of the equipment owns all copyright claims to anything created with said equipment? I think its actually a fairly interesting argument. I agree that the laws around IP are substantially flawed though I am going to guess discussion of that would fall into the political realm.

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 04:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Old, Slow and Angry

Send a message via Skype™ to MadCat

Fan of EMR
Palmers Fan
Selfies....so easy...a monkey could do it.

oh wait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar View Post
sometimes things are rare because they are pieces of
MadCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

But what if I put a gopro on an animal and post the video later? Is this more of an intent thing? He didn't go there to get them to take the photo's but if that was his main goal, would it have made a difference?

Feedback +26|-0
YouTube|flickr
shadow_772 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Photo Guru

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
So the owner of the equipment owns all copyright claims to anything created with said equipment? I think its actually a fairly interesting argument. I agree that the laws around IP are substantially flawed though I am going to guess discussion of that would fall into the political realm.
Copyright laws for photographs are complicated. If I get hired to shoot a wedding (full body shudder) and hire an assistant, all of the images they take, I own and copyright. If I hand a point and shoot to a kid and let them take photos as well, I still own the images and copyrights. Thinking a monkey can own a copyright is ludicrous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
chopper duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellicose View Post
So if I borrow your camera and take TIME Magazine's picture of the year, credit should go to you?

Nothing beats a good day at Mount Doom.
Daze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Photo Guru

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daze View Post
So if I borrow your camera and take TIME Magazine's picture of the year, credit should go to you?
Yep. During the Civil War, Mathew Brady was a well known photographer. He hired other photographers to go out onto the battlefields and take pictures. Two of these artists are Patrick O'Sullivan and Alexander Gardner. Both of these men took some amazing images but Mathew Brady was given the credit. Both eventually left Brady's employ and started doing their own thing but for years, they didn't get the acclaim or credit they deserved. And there wasn't anything underhanded or illegal about it.

Quote:
Old 08-07-2014, 06:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
Copyright laws for photographs are complicated. If I get hired to shoot a wedding (full body shudder) and hire an assistant, all of the images they take, I own and copyright. If I hand a point and shoot to a kid and let them take photos as well, I still own the images and copyrights. Thinking a monkey can own a copyright is ludicrous.

I don't think the suggestion is the monkey owns it. I think the suggestion is that no one does.

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Photo Guru

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
I don't think the suggestion is the monkey owns it. I think the suggestion is that no one does.
That would mean that any time a photographer is not in direct control of his camera that nobody own the image. So if one is attached to one of those quad-rotor-copters or even an animal, they're owned by nobody?

Quote:

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat