mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:56 AM   #21 (permalink)
MCB Member

AKA Fan
I use Avast!, MalwareBytes, Superantispyware, and spybot search and destroy simultaneously. That combo has kept things squekay clean for the past 5 years or so.

New PB Nation Feedback
Old PBNation Feedback
MCB Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPrekel View Post
Hey - we are not "Nation"
tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:13 PM   #22 (permalink)
Mind Your Manners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Jerry View Post
Sorry but the idea of that Microsoft has a vested interest because it will make Windows look good is a farse... Let me present to you "Internet Explorer" as a prime example.

Or how about "Windows 8" for the younger generation..."Windows ME" for some of us older folks.

Microsoft has never been a company that worried about image.

While MSE is good and it is somewhat effective. Microsoft has never staked their reputation on being able to stop, identify, and eradicate malware. Avast, Trend, McAfee, Symantec....they have...if they start to fail to do what they have claimed to do for years then they might as well go back to selling lemonade. Microsoft fails with their MSE and they simply drop it from the product line and keep going with a revamp of Minesweeper or perhaps one day they will actually update Notepad
Lol what are you on about

MSE has been around for ages and works well. McAfee (now Intel) and Symantec have historically had terrible consumer AV software.

Step 1 for fixing someone's infected machine... Uninstall McAfee or Norton so the system runs smoothly again. Then chase down the infection that was happily running alongside the AV.
Mike Deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 02:17 PM   #23 (permalink)
MCB Member

Never said MSE does not work well. Only stated that Microsoft does not worry about image and to have a claim that their reputation would be at stake.

Been supporting PC's since the days of DOS and I agree I always uninstall Symantec and McAfee....however they still dominate the corporate realms because they have some of the best corporate distribution and reporting available. And their protection is not too bad, it is just they are terribly bloated and not very user friendly in comparison to others.

But MSE is just over 5 years old and was first introduced with XP. Meanwhile Symantec, McAfee, and others had been doing AV for several years prior.
Brother Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:34 PM   #24 (permalink)
Semper Fi

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
why use anything but bitdefender?

ANGELS FOR LIFE!!!
gainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 03:57 PM   #25 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noclue119 View Post
Avast for me. AVG get slow and bloated
That's how I felt about three years ago. Been on Avast ever since.

World of Tanks Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCM CHICK View Post
I say to you with love in my heart... your a whore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scharfschutze91 View Post
i like the zipper... pullover's hurt when i take them off. I gel my hair everyday so when I pull it off it snags on my hair and hurts.
mrmag11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:59 PM   #26 (permalink)
MaD
MCB Member

Kaspersky is solid probably more so from the company standpoint than anything. I've had some in depth discussions with them. Their perspective and involvement in the security community is pretty impressive. That IS what they do and what they care about. For companies like Symantec it's just one of the slew of things they do. While they do have some good people and security intelligence, the product doesn't get enough focus imho.

Bottom line is that no signature based AV will ever keep you protected. There's some interesting work going on in heuristics again which looks promising but we'll have to see. In the end the bad guys just seem to have more resources, time, and dedication so it's an uphill battle and not getting any better.
DIY Paintball Stuff!

Note: While I would love to take credit for his work, I am not associated with Mad Customs!
You can contact BigMatt-MadCustoms in his MCB forum
MaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:48 PM   #27 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiny View Post
I use Avast!, MalwareBytes, Superantispyware, and spybot search and destroy simultaneously. .
You have all three installed?
Typically, they conflict with each other leading to crippling slow performance.
Back in my IT days, if I got a call about a super slow computer, the called would usually assume massive infection, but usually the culprit was 2 virus scanners installed, bashing each other.

Truth is I don't really worry that much. All my files are stored on remote FTP server, and have for nearly 20 years. For all those kids born since 2000, a "FTP server" what we used before "Clouds".

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:58 PM   #28 (permalink)
MCB Member

AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP_Lovecraft View Post
You have all three installed?
Typically, they conflict with each other leading to crippling slow performance.
Back in my IT days, if I got a call about a super slow computer, the called would usually assume massive infection, but usually the culprit was 2 virus scanners installed, bashing each other.

Truth is I don't really worry that much. All my files are stored on remote FTP server, and have for nearly 20 years. For all those kids born since 2000, a "FTP server" what we used before "Clouds".
Yes all 4 at once, I have 0 performance issues to speak of and no conflicts.

New PB Nation Feedback
Old PBNation Feedback
MCB Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPrekel View Post
Hey - we are not "Nation"
tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 01:32 AM   #29 (permalink)
Modder at heart

I got symantec. I buy it from walmart/big box stores at discounted prices when they roll in the new years stuff. The key codes and software are all the latest, but because the box says the previous year they sell it off for real cheap prices. I stock up and usually one box is good for 3 computers for a year. $20 for 3 computers? Yes please.

I find that the symantec is pretty good. Protected me on a couple occasions including a virus ridden power point presentation one of my students gave me. Also doesnt bog down my current computer or any of my previous less powerful computers I have used it on.
Danny D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:18 AM   #30 (permalink)

your better off buying a another computer and use it only for surfing and downloading or un imported stuff like games that all can be reinstalled. windows xp and up has a fast install like 30 mints tops. and probably faster if it was on a flash drive. free is better because they can do anything they want no one paying them off. but today's world if you get a good offer for ads they might take it and sell out just the way it is now. even microsoft has ads on there windows.
thrasher_565 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat