mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

View Poll Results: Should the Metric System be implemented in America?
Yes, it should! 77 52.38%
No, keep it the way it is, dangit! 60 40.82%
Metric system? 5 3.40%
I'm not from America. 5 3.40%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-24-2006, 06:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
GWC Lifetime Member

Just an FYI, the metric system is taught in schools here in the US, it is not however used to the extent that the standard system is. Converting the US to metric is, well, silly. Not to say its not a good idea just inpractical/impossible logisticly. I like the way it is now. As stated by others the metric system is in use here in many areas allready.
Al Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 06:57 PM   #12 (permalink)
MCB Member

the metric system is easy, but my vote is to keep it standard. if the kids don't learn the standard system at an early age and only know the metric system, they won't know what to do when confronted with a situation that calls for the standard system.
c6quad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 07:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Pennsylvania Department of Transportation converted to metric in the 90's.. and then converted back because they left all the mile posts in Miles (English units) and were doing all their surveying in feet... but were doing all of their plans in metric....

I can do the conversions no problem.. hell a lot of my PE exam delt with conversions.. but I still prefer to use English units.... 12"=1' 144square inches=1.s.f. 43,560 s.f = 1 acre

Yeah I'm not switching to metric... oh and the USGS maps are all English.. have fun swtching them over.

E
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 07:15 PM   #14 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via MSN to Frontier_Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmitti View Post
...oh and the USGS maps are all English.. have fun swtching them over.

E
Heh, well, that actually wont be as hard as it sounds, the maps are all on a computer program, and I could change them to metric with a few mouse clicks. One problem though, the producers would throw a fit like a cat in a bathtub...

Danger: Reading online forums may cause irreparable damage to your faith in Humanity.
Team Rogue Cell #10
Feedback
NO'MAAM #16
Frontier_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 07:26 PM   #15 (permalink)
Damage Inc Lord

Send a message via MSN to hey_yeo Send a message via Skype™ to hey_yeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by c6quad View Post
the metric system is easy, but my vote is to keep it standard. if the kids don't learn the standard system at an early age and only know the metric system, they won't know what to do when confronted with a situation that calls for the standard system.
I was taught only the metric system in my Canadian school but learnt the standard system growing up from my parents and other adults that still used it. Not to mention I also have to know if to understand what you people are talking about when I visit the USA.

Now who here that is against the metric system has accutally used it on a daily basis?
hey_yeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 07:39 PM   #16 (permalink)
Distruster of Joggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier_Bill View Post

However, I think that if they atarted educating children with it, then the transition would go smoother,

Edit: Gah, I was wrong, 6.52887 feet.
Thats exactly what happened to me in the 70's and 80's I learnt to use metric and imperial, our school rulers had the measurments on each side and all our textbooks changed over to metric. Our teachers all had to teach metric and it confused many of them.

The currency also changed over to metric in 1972 (?) before that date it was 144 pennies to one English pound, five pounds was a huge one sided note three times the size of a dollar note.

Many seemingly impossible things can be changed, Europe drives on the right, the British Isles drive on the left, until 1922 Norway also drove on the left. They changed over to driving on on the right in stages, one weekend all the trucks changed to driving on the right the following weekend all the cars changed over to driving on the right......
Old 08-24-2006, 07:48 PM   #17 (permalink)
Exterminate!

Send a message via AIM to WilD

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jincay View Post
until 1922 Norway also drove on the left. They changed over to driving on on the right in stages, one weekend all the trucks changed to driving on the right the following weekend all the cars changed over to driving on the right......
WilD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 08:06 PM   #18 (permalink)
Jack Wagon!

Send a message via AIM to d4rksabre

I love metric because multiples of ten are awesome. plus i hate remembering the decimals for the fractions in the american system. I mean i've done it, but it was too much of a hassle. Being an engineering student metric is just easier to work with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be4life182 View Post
ill gats pwn nubs n give mE pwners?
d4rksabre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 09:03 PM   #19 (permalink)
XYZZY

Send a message via AIM to Jaan Send a message via Yahoo to Jaan

a 10cm x 10cm x 10cm cube filled with water would equal 1 liter ... bet ya didn't know that.

I came to the realization when I worked in a machine shop that it's ALL just arbitrary numbers. .6398 hooziwhatsits is the same as 509.48256 badonklamze's ... it just don't matter what you call it, as long as you can measure it.

It's 6 of one, half dozen of the other (c:

"My happiness doesn't depend on anything. My heart is always happy. I do have anger issues though."
Jaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 09:13 PM   #20 (permalink)
Only "PART" Canadian

Lets try to get the rest of the world to change!
Uranus is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat