mcarterbrown.com

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 09-19-2006, 12:17 AM   #21 (permalink)
CHEERS!

Note to self...

If you happen to want the Secret Service to know EVERYTHING ON EARTH about you... make a film like this one.
Old 09-19-2006, 12:24 AM   #22 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to Pickle Send a message via Yahoo to Pickle

I am with Blackrain on this one.
Pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 12:30 AM   #23 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
I Believe our own allies are going to be airing the movie. Wow and we are
even going to allow it to be played in our Country. Well I guess the American public has the right to watch and Crap all over themselves too. However we do have acceptable family viewing films such as "Broke Back Mountain".
I have a SUGGESTION: If you don't like it, Don't watch it! Hell, send BBC4 a letter of protest. Who are YOU to decide what is "acceptable family" viewing anyways? I don't recall ANYONE forcing you or your family to watch Broke Back Mountain.

In fact, let me help you get started with your e-mail protest of bbc4

http://www.bbc.co.uk/feedback/

I am sure they would be more then happy to hear from a member of a former colony.

Quote:
I'm sure they had a little hand in some of it.
The CIA says otherwise, the US Senate's own investigations says otherwise, the 9/11 Commission's final report says otherwise. Read them some time.

But please share any special knowledge you may have. I would certinally read it with an OPEN MIND.

Quote:
Half those Worthless Americans exercising it really don't have the right.
And who are YOU to decide who is entitled to Protections under the US Constitution?

I personally would like to Thank You for your service to your country. Unlike a LOT of people that I know, they let OTHERS make sacrifices. However, just because you are a vet does NOT give you special rights to decide who gets Protections under the US Constitution.

Last edited by mike31c; 09-19-2006 at 12:40 AM.
mike31c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 02:22 AM   #24 (permalink)
XYZZY

Send a message via AIM to Jaan Send a message via Yahoo to Jaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Ray View Post

In all seriousness I think its a threat to national security to make films like that. POs me really
Political assassination predates films by a few thousand years. Julius Caesar was assassinated on the Roman Senate floor in 44 *BC*. I'm sure a few thousand years before that some Neanderthal got the bright idea to stick a stone knife into the chief of the tribe. People don't need films to be murderous, sometimes all it takes is a belief in a deity.

In all seriousness, it's not the people who watch Brokeback Mountain who I'm worried about ... it's the ones who think it's perfectly well and good to stone a gay man to death in the street. I mean, really ...

So, has anyone here actually seen this film, or are we all just advocating censorship based on something we read on the interweb?

"My happiness doesn't depend on anything. My heart is always happy. I do have anger issues though."
Jaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 02:46 AM   #25 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Oh Dammit no more Midnight Muster Gas testings.
"One more thing..." (Steve Jobs, CEO, Apple Computer)

Who SOLD the mustard gas to Saddam in the FIRST place?

Quote:
Cause they probably switch their cause every week.
That's right, the US Sold that gas to Saddam. When he was actually our ally before the United States switched who we decided to call our allies. Kind of like the same people you accuse of switching their causes every week.

Quote:
Truthfully I really could express my Freedom of Speech

You DO know that the concept of "Freedom of Speech" is what the goverment can/can not do as far as to "regulate speech" and NOT a private
forum such as one here?

Last edited by mike31c; 09-19-2006 at 03:01 AM.
Old 09-19-2006, 03:22 AM   #26 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via MSN to Frontier_Bill

Mike, do you just like to counterpoint nearly everything politically said on this forum? Seems almost every post you make is to kick up the embers in a political debate, and all it seems to do is aggrivate me to read through it when I'm reading this stuff. I mean, its all well and good, but sometimes, its overboard.

Im tired, and ranting, sorry in advance. Delete this if you find it innappropriate.

Danger: Reading online forums may cause irreparable damage to your faith in Humanity.
Team Rogue Cell #10
Feedback
NO'MAAM #16
Frontier_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 03:46 AM   #27 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Mike, do you just like to counterpoint nearly everything politically said on this forum?
Only when they are wrong
Old 09-19-2006, 04:07 AM   #28 (permalink)
Je suis un mod!

Back to the movie...
I am due to see it in a short-film screening in a week and a half, and from the reviews I've read, it's quite a good treatise on the reigns of power and what would come afterwards.

Do I think there is anything wrong with it (a film showing the assassination of a currently-serving head of state)? Hrm...generally speaking, no. As a student of all films, I see it as a perfectly acceptable genre/topic. If we cannot continue to fully develop ideas and delve into concepts and subjects, then I suppose that rulers causing the masses to burn books in the 20s, 30s, and 40s, burn flags since forever, and burn effigies of popes and presidents have truely won. If we cannot say what we please in a public forum (Freedom of Speech), through the media (Freedom of the Press), or express what we think through the arts (Freedom of Speech/Press), then the book-burners in Berlin/Leningrad/Tehran/whereever have won the day, and, worse yet, Big Brother has become a far better enemy than any of those foes could ever hope to.

Beyond the philosophical, the "President of the United States" has been killed off and assassinated in a whole host of movies, the litany of which I'll spare you all, but they've ranged from alternate-historical dramas, to present-day action movies, to futuristic thrillers, but it's been done a ton of times. What's the difference between killing the president with an actor playing him (even if you obviously are referring to him) and just using CGI to make an exact copy.

So...no. I don't see this as "aiding the forces of evil/villainity/the devil". They can make bombs, smuggle nuclear/biological compounds, and build elaborate complexes underground and in mountains...if they haven't thought about simply shooting the president, then it seems we're greatly overestimated their threat.

As for the blackrain/mike31c debate...you're both free-speeching it, just like this guy! One of you thinks it's cool that protesters are shot in the face with rifle-fired bullets in real-life, one thinks it's fine to have the president shot in pretend-land with a computer-rendered bullet. Please, guys, continue the discussion, but let's try to keep on-topic.

-Andrew
P.S. Blackrain, thanks for serving.
Faultie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 04:12 AM   #29 (permalink)
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaan View Post
Political assassination predates films by a few thousand years. Julius Caesar was assassinated on the Roman Senate floor in 44 *BC*. I'm sure a few thousand years before that some Neanderthal got the bright idea to stick a stone knife into the chief of the tribe. People don't need films to be murderous, sometimes all it takes is a belief in a deity.

In all seriousness, it's not the people who watch Brokeback Mountain who I'm worried about ... it's the ones who think it's perfectly well and good to stone a gay man to death in the street. I mean, really ...

So, has anyone here actually seen this film, or are we all just advocating censorship based on something we read on the interweb?
Wow...the only open minded, sensical post in this entire thread.

Excellent.
Old 09-19-2006, 04:13 AM   #30 (permalink)

Whoops, the above was I.
bigcanada00 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat