mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 10-11-2006, 11:43 AM   #11 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I wouldn't call upon the bible as scientific evidence...

But I'll keep my mouth shut from now on, before I cause another flame war...
Old 10-11-2006, 12:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
King of the OFG

Send a message via MSN to Robertsr

Kilt Fan
Not scientific evidence no...

but if you're to have a meaningful discussion, you have to agree on a frame of reference. If the topic is the soul, which is a uniquely religious concept, you have to have a frame of reference with which to discuss that concept.

The bigger question might be what ramifications might there be if the clone did not have a soul...

FEEDBACK
Robertsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 12:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
DCB
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to DCB

No.
CPPA #1092
Pump Gun Pimp #80
LPPC #164
Spec Ops Pump User#86
Pump Player Clan
http://www.techpb.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=54098
Feedback
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...html#post78710
Gallery
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/gallery/...er=184&cat=500
DCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 12:09 PM   #14 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertsr View Post
The bigger question might be what ramifications might there be if the clone did not have a soul...

Used car salesman. Duh!

Deadfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 12:18 PM   #15 (permalink)
I have a Phantom

Send a message via MSN to Rayodder Send a message via Yahoo to Rayodder

Soul is purly a abstract concept invented to justified our existance, I have solid evidence that there is no such thing as a human soul.

I once offered up my soul for a date with a Victoria's Secret model, well? needless to say she never showed up at my front door
Rayodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 12:22 PM   #16 (permalink)
Post Whore

As the question is framed, it comes down to if you believe we have a soul. And then it hinges on what your faith is concerning that.

As a Christian I believe that yes the clone would have a soul.

Now if you want to really get things flowing you don’t just ask if the clone would have a soul, but WHEN it would be given it. That is a real barn burner of a debate, and even among similar religious groups a consensus can not be reached. It is a crucial focal point dealing with not only cloning but abortion as well.

And with that said….. I will NOT get into that discussion. LOL
POG #934 / CPPA #2157 / LPPC #1 / BLACKLEAF OUTFITTERS
"Post because you have something to contribute, not because you want to contribute to your post count." - Me
A5OG / STRIKE FORCE MEMBER
shartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 12:24 PM   #17 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
I wouldn't call upon the bible as scientific evidence...
The entire subject of a soul, and what it is or isn't is completely philisophical in nature, therefore science really would have not much involvment.

I used a mathemattical equation to explain my point, in other words I used logic to graphicly illustrate reason, which is a perfectly legitimate usage in philosophy..

The bible reference also gave further evidence for my reason for understading it as the equation showed.

I thought it was pretty simple..
Christian Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 12:32 PM   #18 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Religion is never simple.

Your mathemattical equation is based on your belief souls exist, therefor it has no real value to anybody else who doesn't think they exist.

But, like I said, if we'd just asume people have a soul, I'm going with Kidneythief's explanation.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:41 PM   #19 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to commando kyle Send a message via Yahoo to commando kyle

I think this should just be solved by the scientific method. Why bother wondering about it... test it. Lets clone somone, and see what happens. That may go a long way to proving/disproving a lot of things.

"Who Dares, Wins."
commando kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 12:47 PM   #20 (permalink)
Post Whore

Kidney thief's explenation assumes that a test tube baby would have a soul. In order for his conclusion to be made, one must decide wether that is true as well (believe me, this is a point of contention for some as well).

Well, how does one do that?

Saying it is so, isn't really helpful, therefore, I produced the logic which helps me to decide whether a being has a soul (or more accurately in my oppinion) or is a soul, then it can be further interpreted and extrapolated for instances I haven't encountered or listed, so that one can easily see what I believe, and how I come to that belief, and know where I stand, which fully answers the given question, and also isn't simply I think this or that.

I gave the "why" as well as the "what" about my beliefs in something that was more than a simple passing answer.

Being religeous means that I have devoted a bit more time in thinking about this subject than one who doesn't believe in a soul in the first place, soe I attempt to give a meaningful as possible answer to a good question.

No disrespect to Kidney Thief, but if one doesn't believe in the concept anyways, it is hard for them to give a truly meaningfull answer.

It's just a whimsical what if in thier mind.

To me it is more than that, hence my type of answer was more than just a what if.
Christian Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat