mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 10-18-2006, 07:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Exclamation Stop The Stupidity in Chicago. What is a Replica Firearm?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...ck=1&cset=true

(you will have to sign up to access this)
--

reposted here w/o their permission

Chicago merchants would be barred from selling air guns that resemble real weapons and possession of the imitations would be banned under a measure advanced Thursday by the City Council's Police and Fire Committee.

The legislation, which now goes to the full council for consideration, was introduced after the August shooting by police of 14-year-old Ellis Woodland near the Cabrini-Green public housing complex. The boy was seriously wounded after police officials said he refused orders to drop a BB pistol that resembled a 9 mm handgun.

Possession of air and pellet guns that discharge projectiles, including models that are designed to look like real pistols, is legal if the owner is at least 18 and has secured a permit, officials said.

The proposal would single out replicas for prohibition. Violators would face the possibility of a fine of $500 to $1,000, a 6-month jail term and community service. If the offender is younger than 18, a parent or legal guardian could be ordered to pay the fine or perform community service.

"I don't think we want our police officers to hesitate on the draw," unsure of whether a gun is a real firearm, said Ald. Burton Natarus (42nd), a co-sponsor of the legislation.

"The danger here for a policeman is if he hesitates and it is not a replica, he could be killed," said Police Deputy Supt. Charles Williams, who spoke in support of the proposal. "It's nearly impossible for a police officer to tell the difference in a split second between a replica gun and a real gun."

Manufacturers "could paint them pink or paint them yellow," he said.

Availability of the look-alike models "places the officer in a tremendously dangerous situation, and ... the fact they so easily can obtain these things obviously places our children in a tremendously dangerous situation," he said.

Neighborhood residents who challenged the police version of the Woodland shooting conducted angry demonstrations afterward.

Police confronted the boy after another youth flagged down officers to report that two teens had tried to rob him. An officer ordered Woodland to drop the gun that he brandished, and the officer fired when he feared he was going to be shot, according to police officials.

Williams asserted Thursday that police on the scene responded by the book.

"I don't think there is much more they could have done in that instance," agreed Ald. Isaac Carothers (29th), chairman of the Police and Fire Committee. "When a person has a replica BB gun ... I think the police just have to act."
--

>>Alert<< (As posted from APG Ezine, also w/o their permission)

REPLICA Firearms--what is a "replica firearm"? Is it an airsoft pistol? A Tippmann A5? You can't decide if you're in Chicago--it's up to the police, who'll be following local legislation. There is a measure in local government, advanced by the City Council's Police and Fire Committee, that would criminalize sale, distribution, and possession of an "imitation firearm," applying a $500-$1,000 fine and/or 6 months in jail to a conviction. So, what's legal to buy and sell off the internet, from Wal-Mart, and at sporting goods and novelty stores across the country, might soon be really, really illegal in Chicago. You'll have to sign up for access to their news source, but you can read about it here:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...ck=1&cset=true

--

So basically, if you live in Chicago, travel THRU Chicago with your gear, or in any way shape or form have the words paintball/airsoft together with Chicago, I would suggest you get busy to stop the local city council from passing such a ban.

http://egov.cityofchicago.org/city/w...ame=Government

Names and e-mail addy of chicago aldermans

Last edited by mike31c; 10-18-2006 at 07:34 PM.
mike31c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 12:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Passing through rider

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
What happens when the gang punks start painting their guns yellow?

The cops shoot them anyhow. Its tried and failed all over (Ive heard the stories on that one from police friends).

Lesson.. unless you have an AWFULLY GOOD reason to point a gun at a cop, DON'T! And 99.99999999999999999999999999999% of the time there isn't.. So if you do, you get what you deserve.

Ignorance nor stupidity are not good excuses either.
Riverside Renegade Paintball / C.C. S.V.S. Plankowner - LPPC#6
www.AzzysDesignWorks.com - best replacement jeep gauges in the biz
Old Timer Feedback
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 12:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

Must be an election cycle?

Classic example of when politicians are incompetent, and incapable of controlling crime.
So, they instead penalize LAW ABIDING CITIZENS in hopes that it will get them votes.

that said, I've been nearly arrested a few times for having a "sawed off shotgun". The officer had never heard of paintball, and it required calls to the ATF to save me!

Nick
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 12:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

Probably the ONLY good thing I could see from this is that is gives damn good reason to be a gun whore right NOW. Don't get me wrong though, i'm all against it. This issue has come up before between me and some other foreign matter and I always hate it. Its a rediculous argument.

III
Next time add more yelling and crazy camera angles. Maybe start an episode with you parachuting into your attic, then you immediatley come under fire from the french resistance. I can see it now....
Please read the MCB Rules.
SuperHiQuality87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 05:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Devious Penguin Mod

Send a message via AIM to Surge-NS

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31c View Post
Possession of air and pellet guns that discharge projectiles, including models that are designed to look like real pistols, is legal if the owner is at least 18 and has secured a permit, officials said.
Election year bullcrap indeed. They tried to pass this one under the radar multiple times. Contact your local alderman if you live in the city and say you don't approve. As someone who frequents Chicago, but does not live there, I can say this; Paintball guns are not firearms, but Police arre often uneducated as to this matter, and believe, reasonably, that they are. Apply for and carry a $5 firearms owner's identification card to ensure that you can get out of a mix up if one occurs.

Also, don't just call your alderman, write a letter to the Daley administration about how they constantly try to keep legally owned firearms out of the hands of private citizens. Getting rid of pistols was reasonable in my opinion, since you cannot carry concealed in Chicago anyways, and long guns are still allowed so you can still protect your home. In any other city it would be reasonable enough, but in Chicago, banning replica firearms is another step toward illegalizing all airguns, and then the real weapons themselves. It's means to an end, don't let them fool you.

Aggressive! Kill!

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=50&dateline=121202619  6
Surge-NS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 06:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
GWC Lifetime Member

Quote:
Classic example of when politicians are incompetent, and incapable of controlling crime.
So, they instead penalize LAW ABIDING CITIZENS in hopes that it will get them votes.
Agreed. Even stranger is the Clinton gun ban, banning "assualt rifles" when the term assalt rife is missleading, ie it generaly just refers to a miltary looking gun, that is not full auto. However people who supported it would have you belive otherwise. As far as Im concerned any politician that takes his/her possition as a carreer needs be impeached. On a simmilar subject, I watched "Man of the Year" last night, it was not as funny as I had hoped but the message was pretty good.

Also insteed of fixing the problem, they focus on somthing that statisticly is not a problem. Honestly how many people have been killed for having a fake gun, and how many of those where dumb enough to point it at the police officer. When a police officer has his gun pointed at you/ tells you to drop the weapon, drop whats in your hands and tell himn its not a weapon after that is done.
Al Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 06:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Passing through rider

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surge-NS View Post
Apply for and carry a $5 firearms owner's identification card to ensure that you can get out of a mix up if one occurs.
I dont see anything in the constitution about identification... card.. hmm.. shall not be infringed.. hmm.. nope, not there either

If your vote doesnt work, vote with your feet, and decline a tax base. Im doing it here in my county as well are lots of people who aren't, well, old.
Riverside Renegade Paintball / C.C. S.V.S. Plankowner - LPPC#6
www.AzzysDesignWorks.com - best replacement jeep gauges in the biz
Old Timer Feedback
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 08:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Devious Penguin Mod

CCM Fan
I'm not sayig it's right, I'm just saying that in order to have a convenient option for demonstrating to the officer that you do indeed get to posess this weapon regardless of whet he thinks, it's good to have one. It takes the personal judgement of the officer out of the equasion if you can probve you're playing by their rules.

I agree with you, the second amendment doesnt say anything about owner ID cards, the private ownership records kept at gun stores and by the government, or carraige of a firearm in public.

Votes work in chicago as long as you vote two or three timess to make sure it counts...

Aggressive! Kill!

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=50&dateline=121202619  6
Old 10-19-2006, 08:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surge-NS View Post
and long guns are still allowed so you can still protect your home.
As long as you only plan on bludgeoning an intruder with that long gun. It's illegal for a citizen to discharge a firearm in the city of Chicago.

link

Technically, I'm breaking the law just by dry-firing my paintball guns.

Hell, I wasn't even aware that I needed some stupid permit to own them here. I'll have to look into where I would acquire one of those over the weekend.

Deadfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 09:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Devious Penguin Mod

CCM Fan
I think the permit they require is only a firarms owner's identification card. Ask your local firearms dealer for a form, it takes around 5 minutes to fill out and only costs $5.

Good link BTW
Everyone in or out of the city should look at that link. That is a good example of what it looks like when an administration infringes on the civil rights of a population and no one does anything about it!

Aggressive! Kill!

Last edited by Surge-NS; 10-19-2006 at 09:24 PM.

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat