mcarterbrown.com

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 10-20-2006, 03:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
I'm on a boat!

Send a message via AIM to Greywolf Send a message via Yahoo to Greywolf

Engineering, electronics and computers are 3 fields where (both in and out of the Armed Forces) you can pick and choose where and what you want. Or, at least, know that there are job opportunities everywhere, all the time.

I've got a decent mix of all three through Maine Maritime and I find that my inbox is always full of job opportunities. I like working jobs where I have 4-6 months a year off, yet getting paid like I worked year-round, and getting to travel while I'm at it.

After I've put some money away with my present job, I'll probably go for a lower-paying job (still probably 60-75K/year) and travel all over, like a private yacht or similar.

Honestly, my only regret about my career is that I waited 5 years before I went to school for it--although, on a whole-life level, those 5 years were good for a lot of reasons.

I would have joined the Navy ROTC if I could have, and gotten in as an engineering officer, but at the time they rejected me because I wouldn't graduate until age 28 and that was too old for them...so I could have joined up, but not gotten any financial aid. No deal. :/ Apparently they've changed that now.

Ben
Old 10-20-2006, 07:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
S7G
MCB Member

It is not nessarly the job you have when it comes to gettting a job after you get out.
Every job I have gotten I have been hired on just because I was in the military.This includes jobs I interviewed for just for the experince of it.
They like the disciplene that people get out of the military.
Most folks after they have been in are not going to be the baggy pants,Face pierced crowd either.
The yes sir no sir goes a long ways in the civilian workplace as well.
Whatever he chooses he cannot go wrong if he sticks with it and learns the job and performs well until he gets out.
The extras along the way like the Leadership Schools,EEO and Academy's should never be turned down either.Corporations spend big money to train there people and here you are already trained saving them some big bucks.
I have applied for 9 jobs and gotten hired at them all since retirement. The job I currently have "Station Manager for Southern Air INC" which is a dream job I did not apply for I was called based on just my reputation and military background.
It also goes the other way as well. When it comes to spending I will always go somewhere that is owned or hires vets first even if it may cost more by doing so.
The coast guard and navey are both great services as well.
The coast guard will put you in some really neat little out of the way places where the fishing and hunting are excellent so for me that would be a winner over 6-12 months on a slow floating target.
The coast guard has a really expanded and exciting mission nowadays as well.
Dont lety anyone tell you any differnt because they are also over in the gulf they do more then just homeland security.
The coasties have always played a big part in every major conflict there has been.
Good luck to him in whatever he chooses!
And with the recall notice I recieved yeaterday who knows he may even ride in the back of one of my beloved herks!
Reckon they dont know who they are trying to recall but hey I will report all the same.

P-3
S7G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 10:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
I've porked many

Quote:
Originally Posted by S7G View Post
It is not nessarly the job you have when it comes to gettting a job after you get out.
Every job I have gotten I have been hired on just because I was in the military.This includes jobs I interviewed for just for the experince of it.
They like the disciplene that people get out of the military.
Most folks after they have been in are not going to be the baggy pants,Face pierced crowd either.
The yes sir no sir goes a long ways in the civilian workplace as well.
Whatever he chooses he cannot go wrong if he sticks with it and learns the job and performs well until he gets out.
The extras along the way like the Leadership Schools,EEO and Academy's should never be turned down either.Corporations spend big money to train there people and here you are already trained saving them some big bucks.
I have applied for 9 jobs and gotten hired at them all since retirement. The job I currently have "Station Manager for Southern Air INC" which is a dream job I did not apply for I was called based on just my reputation and military background.
It also goes the other way as well. When it comes to spending I will always go somewhere that is owned or hires vets first even if it may cost more by doing so.
The coast guard and navey are both great services as well.
The coast guard will put you in some really neat little out of the way places where the fishing and hunting are excellent so for me that would be a winner over 6-12 months on a slow floating target.
The coast guard has a really expanded and exciting mission nowadays as well.
Dont lety anyone tell you any differnt because they are also over in the gulf they do more then just homeland security.
The coasties have always played a big part in every major conflict there has been.
Good luck to him in whatever he chooses!
And with the recall notice I recieved yeaterday who knows he may even ride in the back of one of my beloved herks!
Reckon they dont know who they are trying to recall but hey I will report all the same.

P-3
By the way the Coasties patrol in the gulf on their 378' footers and do boardings and inspections there as well. They do have a lot of billets in cool out of the way places as well the same collage benefits as the other services.

My Feedback Thread[/SIZE][/SIZE]
pillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 01:53 AM   #14 (permalink)
Fear the Dog!

Well I cant say much about the two branches but I served 8years in the USMC, and I am not saying that one branch is better than the next, we are all in the same boat when it comes to serving our country. The service is a great place where I see alot of people mature, learn a trade, and become very proud for what they are doing, protecting our country.

Its great for an educational opportunity!

I have four boys, a sophmore in HS, one in middle school and 2 small tikes and I would not hesitate if they wanted to join!!

However, just remember the present, there is alot going on in the world right now, it really hurts to see our troops in harms way! But thats what we were trained for.

Regardless, in war or peace the military holds many opportunities for young men and women. I travelled the world, matured and learned a trade, recieved money for school and will never regret what I did!!!

Semper fi-
Sgt Sikorski, M.A.
USMC-Ret

My Feedback-http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...oglbs+feedback
doglb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 12:14 PM   #15 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
I spent 6 years in the Army National Guard. I would ask, why is he joining? If for college, I would recommend a junior college for the first two years until he figures out what he wants to do! This will also keep the cost of college down.

From the experience of my friends, the Air Force is the way to go. They have it way easier. Computers, communications, engineering are great fields. He wants to make sure that what he trains for will represent $$$$$ on the outside world.

ROTC may be an option.

I would like to wish him luck in what ever path he chooses.
sniper97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 01:07 PM   #16 (permalink)
I've porked many

Depending on what field your son is interested in all the services go to joint schools for some job fields anyway. I had Coasties in my gunnery school class for example. All the Seabees, and the Army construction trades go to Fort Lenard Wood for their training. All the services utilize the Navy Dive school as well. There are still a lot of job fields that are service specific though. Such as no other services other than the Airforce have B-52s so if you want to be a heavy bomber mechanic you will go to an Airforce school. On the other hand all the services have c130s and helicopters so you would probably end up in a joint school. I was told while I was in gunnery school the Navy and Coast Guard tend to spend more on their service schools than the other branches, because while at sea there is limited personel to do any specific job. This can be taken with a grain of salt though because most of the sea going jobs are pretty service specific. Nobody has attack subs for example except the Navy. On the other hand the Airforce and Army tend to have more people available at any given place to do a specific job. There are billets out there that can land you in joint comands as well, such as Marines serving as fleet Marines on ships and Naval personal serving with the Marines as Corpman and physical security for example. All the services have their own pluses and minus depending on what your point of view is. Some people find they like it a lot and become lifers. Other people find it is a good lession in what they don't want to do for the rest of their life and get out after one enlistment. If your son doesn't have a good idea of what he wants to do or become as an adult, any of the services can be a good experience, get him away from home, and mature him.

My Feedback Thread[/SIZE][/SIZE]
pillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 11:56 PM   #17 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to cupofnoodles

this weekend i went through the Navy SEALs obstacle course... TWICE, took me a good 20+ mins for one of my college class (lol i love ROTC).

my advice is, stay out of the SEALs if he's short like me =(. or maybe i just need to learn how to jump?

but seriously, why not go to college and take some ROTC courses for whatever branch he's intrested in? you get an education and rank after graduation. not to mention the awsome monthly stripen =)

-v
cupofnoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 09:33 AM   #18 (permalink)
MCB Member

Thanks for all the good comments.

Right now he doesn't want to go to college, or a trade school, and I don't think he'd succeed in a specialized school in the military at this point. The opportunity to get away from home and learn some stuff is what might be a good idea for him.

If he finds the motivation to go to school later that would be fine, but for now he could move past lifeguard/bus boy jobs with no real plans.

P
Old 10-23-2006, 01:14 PM   #19 (permalink)
I'm on a boat!

Send a message via AIM to Greywolf Send a message via Yahoo to Greywolf

Send him to the Coast Guard to get an MMD (Merchant Mariner's Document). Then get him on a ship (we have openings here from time to time...I think we'll have several around the New Year as well) and let him start at the bottom.

Once he's gotten a feel for it, he can decide if he wants a career in it, or to do something else--and his time "wandering" will still count for something.

Plus, it's decent pay, even on the bottom rungs.

Ben

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat