mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 11-10-2008, 12:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
Happy and homeless

Send a message via Skype™ to sparky

Minitrucks...

Anyone own or deal with having Minitrucks? I seriously have a hard on to buy one of these. Look very awsome and cool.....
Vagabond living on the side of the road in East Asia.
sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 12:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

What do you mean by minitrucks? If you are talking about Toyota Minitrucks? Than I have quite a bit of experience. If you are talking about tonka trucks...than not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meph View Post
Because, ya know, health care reform is what Hitler and the Nazi's were known for.
Here is my feedback thread:
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
ilerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 01:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
Happy and homeless

Yeah I mean Mini trucks not in the sense of the Tonka ones.... The ones you drive.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

Well, I've had two Toyota Trucks. My first one was a 89 Toyota 4cyl. It was great. I put a 5 inch lift, 4.88 gears in the diffs, ARB bumper and other stuff on it. It got me to places I never dreamed I could go. The only real trouble I had with it was the transmission. Tires and gears put to much strain on it, along with high mileage.

My second Toyota was a 97 Tacoma 4 cyl. I had a 3 inch lift and 4.56 gears on her. Much smoother ride, Much better economy, Much less strain. No major problems with it while I had it. The clutch needed replaced but that was also due to mileage.

I can answer most questions about Toyotas even some out of US ones like their diesel trucks.

I love them! Wish I had one right now instead of my saturn.

Quote:
Because, ya know, health care reform is what Hitler and the Nazi's were known for.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Pseudo-Agg

Send a message via AIM to 99GenX

ilerman, I'm going to assume he means this type of Minitruck -

They seem to be a "fad" as of lately.

Correct me if I'm wrong...

Me
99GenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 01:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
Happy and homeless

Thanks Ilerman!

How do you find the accelration (sp) ? Fuel milage as good as people claim?
Old 11-10-2008, 01:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
Post Whore

99GenX

I've seen a few of those in Guatemala. Two words come to mind. DEATH and TRAP. The models I saw were down right scary. And I saw enough pics in the newspapers of crashed ones to make sure that I never drove one.

Quote:
Old 11-10-2008, 01:26 AM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

Acceleration and Fuel Economy and enemies, obviously.

Before I changed everything fuel economy was probably low 20s in my tacoma.

My first truck with it's real low gearing had poor economy and acceleration. The big 33" mud terrains and hill country where I was at prohibited it.

On my second truck it was much better. The 32" and 4.56 gears mated to a MUCH better 4 cyl. engine made for a decent mix of both.

Basically the bigger size tire you put on, you will need to adjust your gearing in the diffs to make up for acceleration loss.(or you can modify the engine as well) With gear changes however you will lose fuel economy and your speedometer will be off as well.

Keep in mind I used these trucks in Guatemala to haul materials up to mountain villages and when I wasn't doing that I was towing my buddies home when their fords and chevies broke down So your experiences will be different esp. if you don't plan on doing anything in 4WD.

Quote:
Old 11-10-2008, 01:33 AM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Cunha Send a message via MSN to Cunha Send a message via Yahoo to Cunha

Ilerman - he ( i believe ) is asking those questions regarding the minitrucks that 99genx posted.

My dad has had 2 mazda B series trucks from the 80's with 4 bangers and AC. Extended cabs, manual transmissions. He gets better MPG than current trucks and they dont really leave anything to be desired, except 4 or so air bags that they dont have in comparison to a modern truck.

But again, these mazdas arent what the OP is asking about either.

No idea on those actual "minitrucks" i am sure they are unsafe and very practical. Cars dont exactly need to be safe. <shrug>

PSA: To post direct images when using imgur or other hosting site, copy the "direct link" url in between these image tags [img]yoururlhere[/img]
Cunha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:27 AM   #10 (permalink)
Memento mori.

Brass and Wood Fan
Kilt Club
I had an 87 Toy and it took an unbelievable ammount of punishment. I bought it used with a 4 inch lift kit on it with big baloon tires (don't remember the size). The first weekend I owned it the rear axle walked out of the truck. Once that was repaired (rear end replaced from junkyard) I put the correct size tires on it. After that it was damned near unstoppable and indestructable. I used it every day to drive around and install cable TV for over a year up in the Poconos and Scranton and I didn't really take care of maintenance.

Over its life span it needed an altenator which was such a rare problem with that truck the parts store told me they doubted they could get another altenator for it if I cracked the one they gave me installing it. The altenator had a sticker on it which read "Warning: Extremely rare core." The parts guy said they just don't normally fail.

I slid into a guard rail on a snowy road on the way home one night doing probably about 40-45, and the only damage besides a bent bumper was a broken spline on the steering box.

One day I FINALLY decided to tune it up and I broke a spark plug off in the head. I used an easy out to get the threads out, but the center electrode and insulator fell into the cylinder and I couldn't get them out. I needed the truch for work the next day, so I put it back together and said a hail mary and turned the key. I heard a little crunch and she ran like a champ.

I had to replace a leaky front engine seal on the truck. In order to loosen the nut on the shaft we had to put a breaker bar on the nut, take the coil wire off the distrubuter and turn the key. The bar hit the floor and threw the front of the truck into the air. Problem solved. Nut was loose, seal replaced, truck ran great.

Eventually, somewhere around 210,000 I was no longer installing cable, but had a 100 mile a day commute. The transmission decided to give up and I couldn't afford to fix it. I sold it to my mechanic cheap. He dropped a used tranny in it and used it to run around the pine barrens.

Oh yeah, the bed had a tendency to rot. Cab didn't.

I REALLY miss that truck.

I am driving a 95 Toy Corolla now with an engine of the same family as the truck. It has 222,000 and it still sounds like a sewing machine.

I love Toys.

Edit: I should note I owned the truck for several years, not just the 1 year of installing cable TV.
Finnigan is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat