mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 11-14-2006, 02:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
www.tituspb.com

I can understand where Pepper is coming from, but too many people don't know who Borat is or how long he has been around. I've been watching his comedy show for a long time now and it angers me too see this bandwagon jumping all of a sudden.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 02:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
MCB Member

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Nelson View Post
Mr. Cohen is making lots of money by helping to destroy society.
Please elaborate. How exactly is he destroying society?

-MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder_Pilot View Post
It will eventually get to the point where you're living in the back of a '78 Oldsmobile with a trunk full of the finest paintball gear known to man.
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 02:21 PM   #13 (permalink)
Post Whore

None of the previews I have seen strike me as being “funny”. But comedy is subjective. I love Monty Python, but then again many people don’t “get it” either. And remember the three stooges? Now that is some strange humor. And yes there are many racist comedians out there.

We all pick and choose who we watch and who we don’t. And we choose who we support by either going to a movie, renting it, or watching on TV. There are many worth while things to debate and get upset about, and this movie is just not one of them for me.
POG #934 / CPPA #2157 / LPPC #1 / BLACKLEAF OUTFITTERS
"Post because you have something to contribute, not because you want to contribute to your post count." - Me
A5OG / STRIKE FORCE MEMBER
shartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 02:24 PM   #14 (permalink)
MCB Member

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
What I said and meant was very straight forward, what you put your money and time towards is your treasure. That can be applied to anything and is a universal truth that is not my opinion but a fact. Trash in trash out, how can that be defended?

pep
Yes, It was a statement of I don't like it, So, no one should watch it. Just because you call it trash doesn't make it so; no matter how much you want it to be true.

Stateing your opinion vehenemently doesn't make it any more valid, or make it a "Fact".

-MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder_Pilot View Post
It will eventually get to the point where you're living in the back of a '78 Oldsmobile with a trunk full of the finest paintball gear known to man.
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 02:48 PM   #15 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via MSN to Frontier_Bill

Christian Nelson, it is not "Media" that is causing these things. It is lack of proper education and parenting. Case in point, me. I grew up on a farm, I witnessed death on a regular basis, I have killed many things myself. My parents taught me the effects of certain actions. When I was 7 years old, I started playing Wolfenstein 3D. Thats right, I have been playing games where you violently kill people for... 11+ years now. Have I once been urged to go out and shoot someone? No. Did "Media" make me want to? No. Did Columbine incidents make me go "Huh, maybe I'll go shoot some people"? No. When will people realize it ISN'T "Media"; it is society itself, parenting, and a lacking school system.

As for the movie... If you want to watch it, go ahead. I saw clips that I found amusing... a Jew being Anti-semitic, thats kind of amusing. I am Catholic and make Anti-Catholic jokes. If you can't take this kind of humor, then leave it alone, and get your bandwagon the hell away from free-speech.

Danger: Reading online forums may cause irreparable damage to your faith in Humanity.
Team Rogue Cell #10
Feedback
NO'MAAM #16
Frontier_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 02:53 PM   #16 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Images do influence your actions, just ask the marketing consultant for Coke and MTV. Bill and Nelson are both right.

It doesn’t matter what I “wish” to be true, there are universal truths, wrong, right, good and bad.

pep

"When monkeys at the zoo run out of poop, they fling ICD guns."
-Risk Factor 2

Last edited by Pepper; 11-14-2006 at 02:59 PM.
Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 02:56 PM   #17 (permalink)
Needs new knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
“Its not trash if you enjoy it. Another mans trash is another’s treasure”.
I understand that statement but it doesn’t apply here. Drugs are trash and people enjoy them…. as it kills them.

“A question for you Pepper. Why does someone need to defend watching what they want to watch? We work for our own money, why shouldn’t we spend it how we like?”
I could skirt around this but I won’t. There is a line of thought that says “I can do what ever I want and it wont effect anyone ells, do what feels good” ask a recovering addict’s family if that is true. I’m just saying wake up people, are you being an influence or are you being influenced.

Umm ok..........

If your talking about drugs then my statment may not apply, but your idea that a movie degrades society is pretty far out there, IMHO. I mean come on, ITS A MOVIE. If you are influenced by a movie then you weren't properly taught as child the difference between right and wrong. If I go watch a movie, it doesnt make me go and do things, whether it is something I should or should not do. I have played the video games, watched the movies and listened to the music, that many people say I shouldnt listen to. But none of them have made me do things I shouldnt have, or influenced me to attempt things that I shouldnt. Satical movies have been around for decades, Borat isnt really anything new. Please explain how a movie like Borat is bad for everyone.

My opinion about all this is, parents these days do not teach their kids the difference between right and wrong properly. Thats why we are getting more school shootings and such. Kids are not raised with the same values as say kids that grew up in the 50's and 60's. Now dont misunderstand me, there are things that some kids shouldnt see or hear, until the right time with the proper teaching. But as adults and young adults, there is nothing wrong with a movie like Borat.

Shane-O
Shane-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 03:15 PM   #18 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Q: “If you are influenced by a movie then you weren't properly taught as child the difference between right and wrong”
A: “parents these days do not teach their kids the difference between right and wrong properly”

Q: “If you are influenced by a movie then you weren't properly taught as child the difference between right and wrong”
A: Or Coke, Pepsi, Tippmann, or every body out there who sells to the public, did there job. They influenced you.

It also follows the argument that music doesn’t affect a person; anyone ever put on romantic music or heard you and your wife’s “song”. Music can make an action scene or break it, why? Because music influences you….. Rabbit trail sorry

"When monkeys at the zoo run out of poop, they fling ICD guns."
-Risk Factor 2
Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 03:15 PM   #19 (permalink)
Post Whore

Well, since there was bad and racist parents even back a few years ago there is something else in addition putting the ideas in people's heads about this stuff.

It used to be that certain news stories were not covered the way they are today, because reporters were expected to behave responsibly, and they usually did.

Nowadays people scream censorship over issues that really don't need to be talked about.

How much better is your life now that you know every last detail about Brittany Spears and K-Fed's honeymoon antics and the fact that the video may soon be available?

How important was it to you that we were inundated with images of the Colombine brats posing in black KMFDM shirts and repeatedly subjected to them year after year after year since?

Is this information truly vital to our existence?

There is comedy, and then there is crap that junior highschool kids think is funny. Usually that involves total orgies of offensive disregard for propriety, and the violation of every taboo respectable society has.

Unfortunately, you turn on comedy central, and this is all you are subjected to. I think I grew out of creative juxtapossitioning of curses and sexual innuendos when I was in high school. What ever happened to the days when a comedian could be funny without using a four letter word to get the little kids in grown up bodies giggling?

It is because of this societal degradation of what is really not acceptable behavior that we have gotten ever increasingly childish, selfish, and rude.

Years ago, a person who would not give respect to others should not expect to get any either. Today we have people with the "talk to the hand" attitude they've gotten from watchin Jerry Springer, and they don't even realize how stupid, and rediculous they look.

There are alot of 20-50 year old children running around today, and sadly someone ought to have taken a stick to them more often.

Free speech isn't the issue, just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the right thing to do, nor that you should do it.
Christian Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 03:25 PM   #20 (permalink)
Post Whore

I will also add that freedom of speech goes in both directions. For those who like something but don’t like others saying it is wrong, keep in mind that they have the right to say what they think as well.
shartley is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat