mcarterbrown.com

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
Icognito Remiss Firebrand

Send a message via AIM to Eress Pnter

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Palmers Fan
.308 winchester-reccomended load for carbine for Black bear/large deer

I am looking for any recommendations for suitable off the shelf loaded ammo for use in a 16" barreled carbine in .308. I am headed with a party of 5 into a known dense bear area during a special season overlap of deer and bear season near north central PA this year.

I was thinking something in the 180-200 grain area, perhaps sticking to 180 to keep FPS higher out of the short tube. In PA ranges are 20 feet to 60 yards mostly, especially in the swamps, hence my use of scout configured carbine.

Fiocchi has an extrema series of uber expensive ammo that seems to have good terminal performances, anything else to consider? Is the 180 Walmart Remington Pwrshock I have on hand enough?

honestly i was looking to switch up to the 125 grain low recoil pwrshock Remington, until I got the call to 'get a bear license, we've scoped out multiple known locations and we got a Rhino 4x4 UTV with chains ready.', so now I need to practice with heavier stuff.

Eress Pnter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

I vote for the 180 grain and good bullet placement. I've had 180 grain Remington corelokt round nose .303 punch straight through a whitetail with little or no expansion though. The deer still dropped after the second shot but you couldn't even tell I had hit him (broadside, 125 yards just twitched his tail and dropped momentarily after the second shot, I almost wrapped my rifle around a tree).

What brand and model of carbine? (pics please?)
skx762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:43 AM   #3 (permalink)

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Palmers Fan
thanks for the insights, yes I agree where you shoot something matters far more than the .416 Rigby someone is sure to claim I need.

It's a Ruger Frontier I messed with, I have no pics. It's magazine fed like an old ishapore rifle with EER scope and ching sling setup.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
Moderating in Moderation

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
bring Bitey and throw him at the bear....
Politically, Socially and Aerodynamically Incorrect
Everything I have ever loved is immoral or illegal
Vir sapit qui pauca loquitur.
stewart potter common sense, elephant and duck tests
Force this into a gaussian distributed parabolic curve!
oldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Plays on the cheap

Quote:
Originally Posted by incynr8 View Post
thanks for the insights, yes I agree where you shoot something matters far more than the .416 Rigby someone is sure to claim I need.
Are you using dogs? (I'm assuming not)

I'd go with something heavier. If you end up chasing down a bear you'll need to be a darn good shot if you're using a lighter grain bullet. If you get a good still-standing shot then it's definitely doable with the caliber you're looking to use. Also consider the area's average bear size for that time of year.

For comparison (not much of one, but still), my dad went bear hunting a few years back in the spring. He had a guide that used dogs. Once you tree a bear and knock it down with the first shot the adrenaline a bear has will be insane. It took 4 shots to take it down and all but one were in vital spots (2 in the heart/lungs, 1 in the spine, and one in the butt), and that was a lighter bear. He used his Winchester .44 Mag levergun. He also brought his .444 Marlin just in case.

I myself would use a higher caliber rifle. But for .308 I'd use a heavier bullet/load for maximum force and expansion/energy transfer and make sure it's a standing or slow-moving shot. Lighter bullets aren't going to break bone.
If you tree it, good luck.

Last edited by glaman5266; 09-01-2009 at 10:54 AM.
glaman5266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
Mod/mod

Fan of EMR
I always look at the slack-jawed locals who pose with the magnificent bears they have just killed and I think, I'll bet the world would be better off if the roles were reversed.

Bear hunting is for guys with no soul and small equipment, imho.

Drum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:56 AM   #7 (permalink)
Moderating in Moderation

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
My friends dad killed a black bear when we were kids and had it mounted in the typical ferocious beer standing on hind legs when attacking pose.

As we got older he was the hit at all the parties. His tongue came out too.
Politically, Socially and Aerodynamically Incorrect
Everything I have ever loved is immoral or illegal
Vir sapit qui pauca loquitur.
stewart potter common sense, elephant and duck tests
Force this into a gaussian distributed parabolic curve!
oldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:08 AM   #8 (permalink)

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum View Post
I always look at the slack-jawed locals who pose with the magnificent bears they have just killed and I think, I'll bet the world would be better off if the roles were reversed.

Bear hunting is for guys with no soul and small equipment, imho.

last time I hunted, it was enough to say 'bang' in my head , tip my rifle, and let them go. So, I'll take my blackened soul and insufficient schlong hunting related questions elsewhere.

A cow has no more or less right to live than a wild animal. If you were a vegan I'd accept your insulting remark as non hypocritical.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
Mod/mod

Fan of EMR
Someday, maybe you too will be as cool as these guys...

Killing bears for fun is SO cool.

(PS: you can get a nice rug at Walmart, and visitors will be less inclined to vomit on it.)

Old 09-01-2009, 11:19 AM   #10 (permalink)
Mod/mod

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by incynr8 View Post
A cow has no more or less right to live than a wild animal. If you were a vegan I'd accept your insulting remark as non hypocritical.
I completely disagree and I would prefer you hunt vegans to bears.

A wild creature who is way less yummy than a cow and you are gonna go looking for him in the woods where he is not bothering you and drill him for no purpose at all.

Talk about insult.

And, if you are only going to go "bang" in your head, what difference does it make what sort of ammo you have?

You are comparing a cow (millions and millions of them propagated by Humans for food) and a wild creature who got big through luck and skill and avoiding slack-jawed hunters looking for a thrill?

Yeah, that is just as hypocritical as insulting bear hunters with a hamburger in my hand.

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat