mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 01-24-2007, 11:18 AM   #21 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to commando kyle Send a message via Yahoo to commando kyle

Heheh. Its a girl thing.

"Who Dares, Wins."
commando kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 11:41 AM   #22 (permalink)

choices, choices dont try to think for a woman...

I dont know about the pink thing, my wife has a thing for green, that flashy bright grass green..

if weight is an issue, remote is a must. then it just comes down to cost and durability, which pushes (IMO) spyder/kingman/ion to the top of the list. then decide elect. or mech (my wife hates electro-anything, so it helps drive what she picked). simple process of elemination

if she has been playing for a while I am willing to bet that she has a taste of what she wants. let her make the choice. once you have a "short" list show her, take her to the shop , present an argument for wich you think is best. but in the end she will most likely pick one that goes best with her outfit (and forget how well it performs)

dead possum

Biting, playing dead and sarcasm are a few of the skills that i offer free of charge.
dead possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 12:26 PM   #23 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to TrojanMan

Noodles started playing about 2 years ago and I picked up her first marker off eBay for cheap.

I got her a classic 'mag: grey PFHL, purple rail, purple 8" crown point, purple vert. ASA, purple backbottle ASA all from the factory with the engraving in great condition. $110 The kicker was that the rail and body were both factory milled for a pump kit.

Point is, we got an inexpensive yet high-quality marker for her that would hold its value just in case she decided paintball wasn't for her. She bought it and it's something that she enjoys using. She loves that thing.

My overall advice is simple.
* Let her make the final decision and let her pay for it. If you see something that you like on eBay, go ahead and buy it - but buy it for yourself. If she likes it, offer to sell it to her for whatever you paid. You don't want her feeling like a guest when she plays - let it be her gear.
* Let her have her color. Noodles has three purple guns now and she loves them. I'm partial to gold and I know plenty of other people who like red, blue, grey or any other color. I also know plenty of people who don't really want anything that isn't black. Color is good because she'll identify with it. It'll be hers and she'll feel like it's hers.

I wouldn't tangle a new player up with a remote hose.
Tell her to get a 45/45 tank. They're plenty tiny and have more than enough air for most markers, 'Mags included. She's only going to want to carry two or three pods anyhow so there's no sense carrying a lot of air. Even if she did want to load up on paint, the 45/45 has enough juice for more than 600 shots on most markers. The only reason to use a remote in my mind is if you need the air capacity of a large tank.
KISS: A 45/45 screw-in (Noodles has a Crossfire and it's excellent) is easy to use, weighs next to nothing, doesn't throw the marker out of balance and has plenty of air in it. It won't get snagged, it won't leak, and it'll be one less piece of equipment she needs to worry about.

Here's a more important question: Does she have a mask yet?
That's really the first thing any player should ever get. Take her to the store and go mask shopping. Try on every single one they have and tell her to buy the one she likes the most regardless of price. Make sure she takes into consideration things like how easy or difficult it is to change the lens, etc. When she has a mask she likes, then worry about the gun. You can't play if you can't see.

Second in importance after a good mask is a good set of footwear. Keep your feet happy and you'll be happy. Spend your money on those two items first before you even consider buying a marker.

As for markers...
'Mags are simple and good shooters. You really should look at a 'cocker if you know how to tech one. The milled ones aren't that heavy at all. A model98 isn't a bad choice either. Check out Piranhas, too - they're a really good value and will work forever if you keep them clean and lubed. If you're looking at electros, the ICDs are pretty good but nothing fantastic. At its price point, the Ion is attractive but let her know that there are other costs besides just the gun. A hopper, tank, clothing, mask, pack, pods, shoes, cleaning/maintenance supplies, spare parts, PAINT, field fees and everything else adds up real quick. You're better of paying a little bit more for a gun that you really want because no matter how much you pay, you'll probably spend more than that ammount just on paint in a year.

Take it one piece at a time. Get a mask first. Give her the time to do at least a little bit of research on her own. And if she wants pink... tell her to get pink.

Good luck.
TrojanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 12:50 PM   #24 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

Trojan - if price is an issue for him, a 45/45 will probably be a no-go. As for anyone who has suggested an electronic gun, (particularly the Ion) I'd like to just say that I find those somewhat inappropriate for new players who don't have their gun control skills honed yet. Not to say that Eli's girl will have her gun on ramping, but E-triggers are just too sensitive for people new to the game.

So, let's look at something cheap, lightweight and simple that offers some fire control. I think that it comes down to Mags and Blowbacks in those departments. I would stray towards Blowbacks because of the ease with which they run on CO2. An HPA tank is, as I have already pointed out, likely out of the question if we are keeping things cheap, and CO2 is the definition of simplicity and frugality. Plus, co2 tanks can come in small sizes. A 9oz would give a good shot count - probably more than a 45/45 - while staying light in a bottomline configuration. Otherwise, a remote would be advisable. I have never seen a remote snag, so I don't really consider that an issue.

Kingman, Mokal, PMI all make some decent entry blowbacks these days. If you were to open things up to older guns, I'd suggest an earlier Illustrator or ICD 'cat.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 12:54 PM   #25 (permalink)
Post Whore

My wife doesn't care how it looks, she just wants it to fire everytime she pulls the trigger.

She loves the A-5 for that reason.

I loaned her my autococker, which I never chop using it, and she coudn't get used to the trigger.

She liked my rebel with a revy, it never broke a ball with her using it.

Whatever you end up with get an agitated or forcefeed hopper that will keep ball chops down.

That was what my wife was more frustrated with than anything, having a gun become a paint blender when she needed it most.
Christian Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 01:09 PM   #26 (permalink)
Ghost with the most

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Power Send a message via MSN to Phantom Power

My wife is quite petit, and just picking up most of my markers without tanks or hoppers on them she finds them heavy. She doesn't have any great interest in playing, but if she did I imagine I'd set her up with a gravity fed Phantom with a 50 round hopper and a 3.5oz on the bottomline. If it had to be a semi, then probably something like a Tippmann Pro/Carbine with a 50 round hopper and a 9oz and a shorter barrel.
Phantom Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 01:09 PM   #27 (permalink)

ule mag for mech, and as much as I hate to say it, the ion is her marker in electro. What year spyder was she using, and what tank and hopper? spyders of the last 4-5 years weigh nothing..
enjoy,
K.macocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 01:10 PM   #28 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

Oh man, I totally forgot the Tippmann Pro-Carbine and Pro-lite. Those are great guns.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 01:22 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post
Oh man, I totally forgot the Tippmann Pro-Carbine and Pro-lite. Those are great guns.
other than the trigger pull, 110 lbs to think of, lol. that is where the t-98 really stands out, much lighter trigger.

so what will she be playing anyway, woods, speedball, etc? and what will she be up against??? electros, blowback electros, mech blow backs??
Kmac
K.macocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 01:57 PM   #30 (permalink)
I'm Comin' To Getcha!

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post
Trojan - if price is an issue for him, a 45/45 will probably be a no-go. As for anyone who has suggested an electronic gun, (particularly the Ion) I'd like to just say that I find those somewhat inappropriate for new players who don't have their gun control skills honed yet. Not to say that Eli's girl will have her gun on ramping, but E-triggers are just too sensitive for people new to the game.

With Ion's and the like,yeah the triggers are sensitive typically,but,if you make the adjustments to the trigger correctly and set it to the right mode it can be just like a mechanical semi as far as the trigger control is concerned.Main reasons I'd go with and Ion is they are very light weight,shoot pretty straight,you can get the body in almost any color cheaply,and as long as you don't mess with it (unless you know how) they are pretty reliable (As much as I don't want to admit it, SP makes a good cheap gun).Not to knock Tippmanns or anything,but,most mechanical guns can be heavy (particularlly Tippmanns) and might be somewhat cumbersome to a new player.Personally I think all new players should start with a pump,unfortunately that's kind of unrealistic with the style of play today.
LPPC Member #71

Feedback
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat