mcarterbrown.com  

Old 07-15-2007, 12:12 AM   #1 (permalink)

Desert fox updates?

so I was going over my new desert fox yesterday, and took a look at the serial number. to my astonishment, it is one serial number lower than my older fox.

I was thinking wow, this is cool; what are the odds of that happening. then I started noticing differences.

my newer fox(lower serial number)is black, and is a deluxe. my older one is a standard, and silver. my silver desert fox must be the final form of the desert fox, because it came with a two piece barrel, the black one did not, the ball retainer is also different in that it is rounded, and not rectangular. The other things I noticed were the bolt, and trigger plate. the bolt on the Silver fox is has a slightly larger face than the deluxe, and the trigger plate on the deluxe has a lot of front to back slop due to the angle the slot was cut at; this seems to be fixed on the silver fox, as there is no such slop. could this be an updated version, with impovements, or someones screw up in manufacturing?
Old 08-03-2007, 12:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pintotheevil View Post
so I was going over my new desert fox yesterday, and took a look at the serial number. to my astonishment, it is one serial number lower than my older fox.

I was thinking wow, this is cool; what are the odds of that happening. then I started noticing differences.

my newer fox(lower serial number)is black, and is a deluxe. my older one is a standard, and silver. my silver desert fox must be the final form of the desert fox, because it came with a two piece barrel, the black one did not, the ball retainer is also different in that it is rounded, and not rectangular. The other things I noticed were the bolt, and trigger plate. the bolt on the Silver fox is has a slightly larger face than the deluxe, and the trigger plate on the deluxe has a lot of front to back slop due to the angle the slot was cut at; this seems to be fixed on the silver fox, as there is no such slop. could this be an updated version, with impovements, or someones screw up in manufacturing?

I actually would call ICD about that. I just got off the phone with them, because I was looking to purchase a new Fox. They said they ran out of parts to make one about 3 months ago, which totaally sucks. There's an old website around, I know its still up. It dates from '98 and describes a LOT Of the changes the Fox went through, and the final forms of it.
Headshotted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 09:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Thick

Send a message via AIM to HurtCow

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
I just got another Fox with the rounded detent lever. It SUCKS. Balls roll right over it, as it doesn't stick far enough into the chamber to reliably detain them, and there's not a lot you can do about it besides trying to open up the notch in the upper body where it rides to allow it to stick up farther. I was having lots of double-feeds last Sunday. I never had this problem on my other Fox with the squared-off detent.

Other differences I noticed are similar to yours. My older (silver, standard) Fox has the trigger plate slop you describe, while the new (black deluxe) Fox's is rigid. I noticed on my Alley Cat that I could fix the slop by tightening the bejeezus out of the pivot screw, but that didn't work on the Fox.

If I hurt your feelings or otherwise offended you, click here.
HurtCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

Desert Fox FAQ

And here......Look for the exploded views of both the classic and 98 models.

ICD 98 Desert Fox Review and Tips

Going up one directory to the main page has all kinds of info on older ICD markers.

Paintball ...Isn't Pretty
Litespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 03:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Four-eyed Freak

I had a problem with balls rolling out. Turns out I lost the detent spring. I stole a pen from the field and used the spring from that (had to trim it down a bit). It still works. One of these days I'll get it replaced.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » ICD