mcarterbrown.com  

Old 05-01-2007, 12:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Pnu spyder

Can a Spyder be made into a pnu spyder? Not, a cocker Spyder, I've seen that. I'm talking about a Spyder that utilizes a 4 way to activate the ram and pull/push the sear in order to make it fire. I figured it'd be awesome to have a mech spyder out there that shoots as fast as some of the electros out there and it would be made from a cheap body/frame/internals (the custom work would cost you though) Only prob with Spyders doing this is there isnt a reliable mechanical anti chop made for Spyders....but it seems to me with some polishing and valve work it'd be one sweet rig.
FeedTheDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 04:41 AM   #2 (permalink)

Im not sure if it ever got out but WGP or more correctly, Worrmachine announced a series of blowbacks and one of them had a pneumatic trigger frame. And there are several pneu mags out there to prove that penumatic frames works and they work pretty well from the videos I have seen.
Jari Kurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 11:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

You'd think it would be fairly simple if you could locate the actuator in the right spot. Blowbacks have the mechanics so as to return the sear whether or not the trigger is released so you wouldn't have to worry about short stroking.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 02:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

Is this what you want: link

MCB Feedback
CC Feedback
spanky1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 08:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

The problem is controlling the force with which the ram hits the valve & the time it spends on the valve.
If the force isn't consistent then your velocity won't be either. If the ram extends & stays forward holding the valve open you will dump all your air if you hold the trigger down.
There was some discussion on how to manage these issues in this thread: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/ask-experts/12841-pneumatic-cocker-ram.html a while ago.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

spanky and surestick, the actual valve fuction of the gun is not going to change. A Pneu Spyder would be like a Pneu Mag, in that the added components are simply bypassing the existing trigger mechanism to activate the same sear. No batteries, no ram in the lower tube. Those are Spimmys, and they're pretty well-documented.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Thick

Send a message via AIM to HurtCow

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
I made a 'Ghetto Timmy' out of a Raptor and some RM parts and autococker ram.

It does actually work, though it needs a little more tuning before I'd take it on the field.

Edit: Doh' I just realized you're looking for a battery-less mod.

If I hurt your feelings or otherwise offended you, click here.
HurtCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

Shouldn't be hard, really. You guys are overthinking *and* underthinking this.

Take apart the grip frame. There's a little spring-loaded piece on the back of the trigger that pushes the sear. Take that piece out, mill a mount for it, cut the trigger away, and mount that 'sear-pusher' and it's mount onto the arm of a short ram. Same motion as the trigger, just mounted on a ram.

Then it's a matter of mounting a 4-way. Which may be more difficult.

EDIT: Alternatively, put a ram on a spring-loaded mount so it can be pushed forward a tad, instead of that little sear-pusher piece. Put a hard little cap or nut or something on it, so it won't wear down the tip of the arm. I could sketch something out, if needed.
My MCB Feedback
My eBay Feedback
Moriearty Hobby Supply on eBay and Facebook.
Deus Machina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 10:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
spanky and surestick, the actual valve fuction of the gun is not going to change. A Pneu Spyder would be like a Pneu Mag, in that the added components are simply bypassing the existing trigger mechanism to activate the same sear. No batteries, no ram in the lower tube. Those are Spimmys, and they're pretty well-documented.
Ahhh - I see the error of my ways... ;-)
That does make it easier. You still have the issue of finding a way to not have it go full auto if you hold the trigger down. If I recall the construction of the Spyder trigger (too lazy to get mine out of the closet right now) there isn't much room to easily mount something to actuate the sear in the same way the trigger iself does.
I would think that with a ram you could set it to pull the back end of the sear down & then keep going & let it go. You'd have to figure out a way to get it to catch the sear again when it returns though.

If you can hide the LPR in the grip & get the trigger light enough to be walkable it would be a great sleeper. People would think you had more dollars than brains w/a Spyder Victor fed by a Halo, until you let it rip that is.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:33 AM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to quick.spyder Send a message via Yahoo to quick.spyder

Wow. I had this idea just a few weeks ago. Too bad I'm working on a spimmy project right now.
quick.spyder is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Kingman