-   Kingman (
-   -   Hammer 7 mods (

danssoslow 12-23-2012 11:47 PM

Hammer 7 mods
I'm gonna use this thread to show some pics of my Hammer 7, and the stuff I have done to it. Simple enough.

I am also inviting anyone that has been tinkering with their Hammer 7 to please post up their mods and how-to's!!!

I'll start with some of the grip frame stuff. First up is the palm shelf.
I started by drilling a piece of MDF board in an asa drop pattern to mount the grip to the board. I then covered the area with metal duct tape, three pieces wide.

With the modified grips installed, I applied a strip of blue masking tape directly below the grips; butting the tape against the grip. I then removed the grips, and applied another piece of blue masking tape above the piece of tape previously installed; butting the edges. I then removed the first (bottom) piece of tape.
This established my fill line; and also gave me a reference for leveling the grip frame, using the top side of the blue tape.

I applied two strips of blue tape to gasket the bottom of the grip.

redlaser666 12-23-2012 11:55 PM

And what's the purpose of this?

danssoslow 12-24-2012 12:01 AM

I then mounted the grip frame, making sure that it was perpendicular to the back edge. This is important, as the front will be propped up later to level the fill line.

Placing my hand on the grip, I used a red magic marker to make an outline of my palm's profile. Taking some mesurements, I was able to make an mirrored, symmetrical palm shelf. To come up with the curves, I simply used a penny dead front of the grip, and a nickle at every other corner.

I realized this morning that the symmetrical pattern wouldn't work for me, due to the folding stock I was installing below the palm shelf. I cut away the offending walls of the mold; mounted the stock in the folded position; referenced the position with the red marker; than made a new outline on that side, again using a nickle to round the corners.

danssoslow 12-24-2012 12:04 AM


Originally Posted by redlaser666 (Post 2571482)
And what's the purpose of this?

It's meant to make for a more stable trigger hand. Here, it is used to take up the space between the grip and stock in a purposeful manner.

redlaser666 12-24-2012 12:06 AM

Ok, looks promising!

danssoslow 12-24-2012 12:16 AM

To support the palm shelf, I drilled and installed (5) 3" drywall screws; cutting them down to 1/2" on the fat side, and a 1/4" on the thin side.

Here's the frame again, mounted up and ready to pour the casting resin. I used Alumilite's Amazing Casting Resin.

I didn't get pics of the pour. I took a short cut that came back to bite me in the butt. A little bite; but a bite none the less. I depended on small strips of the metal duct tape to seal the edge between the wall of the mold and the floor. It leaked in one spot. Hindsight, I would have used some silicone to seal the edge.

Here's a pic of the grip shortly after the resin set up (roughly 15-20 minutes). Here you can see the effects of the leak; as seen by the ridge left from the outside walls of the mold. The palm shelf doesn't quite touch the Pachmayr grips; but it isn't very noticeable.

danssoslow 12-24-2012 12:23 AM

Here's a couple pics after sanding with 80 grit sandpaper and a round file. I sanded the edges smooth, took a bit out of the rear of the palm area (it now tapers down), beveled the sides to taper in toward the bottom, and get rid of any blemishes left from the mold's walls. That damned bubbled is gone now, too.

danssoslow 12-24-2012 12:27 AM

Here are some pics again of the finish sanded palm shelf with the grips and stock installed.

I'll have to wait until Weds. to pick up some matte black Plasti-Dip to finish it up.

Thanks for looking!

Bored383 12-24-2012 12:27 AM


danssoslow 12-24-2012 09:24 PM

Thank you Bored383.

Here are some picks of the tinkering I done to the pump handle. Tinkering is probably a better word than modding with all this. This stuff pales to a lot of guys here.

I was able to cut the pump arm down with a hacksaw and a mitre box. This material cuts to easy, I was able to concentrate on keeping the cut straight without fighting getting through the material. Each pull took considerable material. A little sanding with 80 to round off the edges and some 320 grit under water made the finish product quickly.

I filled the front well in the pump arm with quick setting epoxy. I poured both parts in a stirred it up in the well. It's about half full. Since I used the factory holes in the Weaver rail, the frontmost bolt was too close to the wall to apply a nut and washer. Alone, that front bolt tightens pretty well in the epoxy. I used 10-24 bolts to insure there was some meat in the pump's threads.

Here is where I felt the 10-24 was really going to come in handy. I tapped a hole drilled in the rear of the pump handle. It is directly below the guide rod for the pump, so a bolt would not be able to be installed here. All in all, there is no way this rail is coming off. It doesn't support a bunch of weight, and the bolts are unlikely to shear from heavy pumping. I'm satisfied.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
© MCB Network LLC